• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Need help identifying Altec Speaker

hhhmm.. interesting.. going by the measurements, and looking at the pictures.. using the the banker box behind the speaker, the air can on the floor, I'm leaning towards the smaller size of the Malibu... that and knowing how big my 825 cabs are.. the ratios don't look right for being a Magnificent..

Either way.. what ever happened with this? The OP never posted back... Hello?
 
Wow thanks for all the initial responses!!

The speaker I have is currently at another location, once I have a chance I will stop by and take the measurements as well as try to open the back up for some pictures of what's inside. I seem to recall my father referencing a 15" woffer inside but I have never taken the back off to actually check.

The speakers have been in my families possesion for at least 30+ years, my father used them when he used to transfer old time radio shows from records to more current media and I remember the pair sounded amazing. I am currently in possesion of 1 speaker in CA and my father has the other speaker in CO.

I really appreciate the feedback so far and look forward to more!!
 
hhhmm.. a single 15 would rule out Malibu... I'd be doing all I could to get that pair reunited no matter what they are..
 
I'm looking at Malibu plans now.
Why didn't you point out the horn driver access hole? Only Malibu has it. It immediately ruled out the Malibu.

Those magnificents are the "500-W" version with 511's. Nice greenies, they're a bonus.:yes:

EDIT: Sorry, i thought the pics were of the OP's cabinet in question.
 
It's strange.. for some reason I kept thinking about a cutout on the back of the Malibu, but I couldn't remember for sure if there was one or not... I know some speaker I had sitting at the house had a cutout on it.. and yep.. now I know it was the Malibu's... Guess I should have asked
 
I was finally able to get over and take measurements as well as more pictures.
Thanks to all the help from everyone here, I am leaning towards Magnicent's.
The measurements I took were roughly 44 1/4" x 30 1/4".

Sorry some of the pictures might be a little blurry, all I had was my camera phone.

Thanks again for all the help.
 

Attachments

  • Picture 112.jpg
    Picture 112.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Picture 106.jpg
    Picture 106.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Picture 067.jpg
    Picture 067.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Picture 065.jpg
    Picture 065.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Picture 098.jpg
    Picture 098.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Picture 078.jpg
    Picture 078.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 29
To the OP, these do look like the Magnificent. If so, this is a highly collectable speaker so please do be extra careful around the grilles. The Magnficent is much more rare than the Valencia 846A. Should you decide to sell them, the oversea collectors will pay you signficantly more for a pair with nice original grilles. But, this is as much as I know about this speaker as I don't follow pricing for Altec these days. I remember the dealers' eyes would brighten whenever the subject of the Magnificent is brought up.
 
yep.. appear to be Magnificents, but I didn't think they used 416's in them.. but either way.. I hope you bought them? All you said was measure and took pictures..
 
My Altec Magnificent A7-500W-II, that I bought from Greise Electronics, Pensacola in 1970 have 416 woofers. Been all over the world with me when I was a active Naval Aviator, still use them everyday.
 
Re-Uniting the Pair!!

I wanted to thank everyone again for all the help identifying the speaker.

Next week I am headed out to Colorado to pick up the other speaker that was originally paired with this one and I will be bringing it back to California, where they will be together once again. :)
 
I wish I had come across this schematic when I was trying to identify these speakers.
I just found this while going through some boxes and needless to say it would have saved some time.
 

Attachments

  • Altec Schematics.jpg
    Altec Schematics.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Altec Schematic closeup.jpg
    Altec Schematic closeup.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 32
That is a great piece of ephemera you have there, would love to see it hosted and posted at one of the Lansing sites. Perhaps you'd consider sending a high resolution scan of it to Todd White at the Altec User's Board.
 
Back
Top Bottom