• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Need help identifying Altec Speaker

Bionge

New Member
Hello,
I was hoping I could get a little help identifying this speaker.
It is an Altec Lansing speaker that I believe is from somewhere in the 1970's, other than that I don't know much about it.

Thanks for the help.
 

Attachments

  • Picture 062.jpg
    Picture 062.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 285
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 129
  • Picture 029.jpg
    Picture 029.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 146
  • Picture 063.jpg
    Picture 063.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 79
  • Picture 048.jpg
    Picture 048.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 150
Register to hide this ad
Dimensions?

1970's vintage Altec for the home would have push terminals.

Date code strongly suggests 14th week of 1962 as the stepped attenuator on the XO is also from that time period. Very little published data exists for Altec in the 60's.

My wager is that they're Malibu's with dual 414 woofers and 806A/811 horn combo and 800D XO, but it could be a closely related model with a single 803/416 woofer and 802/511 horn combo and 500D XO. The stepped attenuator was found on either model XO.

You'll need to open the back or shine a bright light thru the grill to determine the driver load.

......................... and welcome to AK!
 
Welcome....

Welcome to AK, That is a beautiful piece of Altec Audio.... :jawdrop: :drool:
I'm sure someone will be along shortly to give you an I.D. This site is crawling with people in the know..Too bad only one ?? I'm sure a pair of those would shatter windows..:yes:
 
Really looks like a Malibu to me too... I'd be on it, just to make a buck. I've heard a pair, which sounded really nice, just wasn't the right Altec sound for me... They sure were pretty and beautiful workmanship though..
 
If those are yours, welcome the Altec High Horn club. I became a member yesterday. I am an audioholic and Model 19's are my weakness......
DC
 
Going by the grille taper and design/cabinet shape, Looks to me like Altec Magnificent A7-500W-II. In the 1971 Catalog:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/catalogs/1971-home/page16.jpg

Specs are on this page:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/catalogs/1971-home/page17.jpg

It could also be the older A7-500W, which had an identical cabinet.

Here's a better color photo of the Magnificent:

http://dyna-sh.cocolog-nifty.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/2007/09/09/magnificent.jpg
 
Last edited:
I thought Magnificent too, especially since the Malibu has a pedestal, but thought maybe it was missing. They look not quite as wide from the front as the Magnificent does, so that was why I was thinking Malibu
 
What size is this and what size is the Malibu? the Magnificent is basically a finished Furniture type version of the A7. Which is big.

Russellc
 
Going by the grille taper and design/cabinet shape, Looks to me like Altec Magnificent A7-500W-II. In the 1971 Catalog:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/catalogs/1971-home/page16.jpg

Specs are on this page:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/catalogs/1971-home/page17.jpg

It could also be the older A7-500W, which had an identical cabinet.

Here's a better color photo of the Magnificent:

http://dyna-sh.cocolog-nifty.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/2007/09/09/magnificent.jpg
Agreed, even the attenuator and terminals are correctly located.

My doubts however are fueld by the aspect ratio. From the OP's pic the cabinet does not appear to have the height/width proportions of the magnificent, that could all be in the the camera's perspective tho.

Thanks to Wardsweb for this pic: http://www.wardsweb.org/audio/Altec/Altec117.html
 
well.. looking at the picture from wards page, looks like the Malibu and the Magnificent are the same width probably. The 811 goes all the way across the front, just like a Malibu does...

.... or is that a 511 horn? I can't tell.
 
The curved grill made me think that they were the domesticated A7, and that can of dustoff seems to be about the right scale to make it possible. Nice find!
 
Malibu has that same curved grill... and is very close to the size of the Magnificent. The magnificent is a little deeper and wider than a Malibu though. About the same height though.
 
Malibu has that same curved grill... and is very close to the size of the Magnificent. The magnificent is a little deeper and wider than a Malibu though. About the same height though.


Actually the 825 cabinet of the Magnificent is almost twice as big as the Malibu, I'm looking at Malibu plans now.
 
Last edited:
What is the width on a Magnificent? About 30 inches wide or 32? I didn't think they used the actual 825 cab, but rather a very similar size cab... I think the Malibu was about 24" or so.. ... I can't remember, but I had measured them.. the depth was the biggest difference..
 
Magnificent Dimensions: 44"H x 32"W x 25"D

They're on the spec page I posted originally
 
Back
Top Bottom