• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is Rock and Roll Dead???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rock and roll will die but not before the last consumer of it dies. I like a few types of music, rock, soft rock, classical, blues and even some doo-wop. My favorite rock bands are Queen, Santana, Journey and Pink Floyd.
 
Rock band of the last decade IMHO. :thmbsp:
Karl
Never heard of them, which seems to support my point...

Muse is a major band - they were part of the UK Olympics closing ceremony -
tho I'm not sure they made it through the US broadcast edits. Also saw them on SNL in the last few months ...
Not my cuppa, but some of my coworkers are big fans.
 
LOL! Good story.

I saw Los Lobos open up for the Dead and a bunch of people were yelling for "La Bamba". Dude said, "We don't want to play that anymore", but he eventually relented. Then he grew more irritated because they were not dancing and yelled, "Hey come on! You wanted to hear this song and now I am playing it!"

I saw Ian Hunter at a small venue in the mid eighties. He ended several songs with the first few bars of "All the Young Dudes", sort of a tease which really charged the crowd up, being very recognizable.

When he came back for an encore, Ian related a story of seeing Procol Harum in the 60's and really wanting to hear "Whiter Shade of Pale". He sat through a two hour boring set, and they never played it. "And that really pissed me off", said Ian.

Then they played "All the Young Dudes" to thunderous applause.
 
This thread got me thinking of an old acquaintance who'd be about 57 now- couple of years older than me. He liked Genesis and the usual suspects and would boldly pronounce that music today was crap. I would give some CD-Rs every now and then. He take a brief listen and pronounce, crap. Strangely enough the only one he liked that i gave him was Sufjan Steven's "Come On feel the Illinois".

I was also thinking last night while i waited for a greasy hamburger that if your only contact with modern music is TV and the radio, it would be inevitable that you'd consider it crap.
 
I don't know much modern Rock music, one easily loses touch with such things when old and frankly I've no interest in establishing contact. At this stage in life there's so much Pop music I already like that it can fill the time I spend listening to Pop.

I became aware of Muse a few years ago when that French guy with the roller suit used a Muse song in a YouTube video of him rolling down roads in the Alps.
 
I saw Ian Hunter at a small venue in the mid eighties. He ended several songs with the first few bars of "All the Young Dudes", sort of a tease which really charged the crowd up, being very recognizable.

When he came back for an encore, Ian related a story of seeing Procol Harum in the 60's and really wanting to hear "Whiter Shade of Pale". He sat through a two hour boring set, and they never played it. "And that really pissed me off", said Ian.

Then they played "All the Young Dudes" to thunderous applause.

A man who not only undertands his audience, but also his legacy.
 
I became aware of Muse a few years ago when that French guy with the roller suit used a Muse song in a YouTube video of him rolling down roads in the Alps.

LOL I remember that video Tom... I knew of muse before that but it did inspire me to seek out more :)
 
I think so. Pop "musicians" can't even write songs nearly as good as they were written in the 70's. I'm talking Jim Croce, Carpenters, John Denver, Carol King, America, Elton John, ABBA, Seals and Croft, James Taylor, on and on.

Joe Walsh in Howard Stern interview this year said he thinks RnR is just about over.
 
I think so. Pop "musicians" can't even write songs nearly as good as they were written in the 70's. I'm talking Jim Croce, Carpenters, John Denver, Carol King, America, Elton John, ABBA, Seals and Croft, James Taylor, on and on.

Joe Walsh in Howard Stern interview this year said he thinks RnR is just about over.

The 70s? Quite possibly the most dreadful era of music of all time.

Give me Culture Club, The Fixx, A Flock of Seagulls, Dire Straits, Spandau Ballet, Robert Palmer, The Alan Parsons Project, Nu Shooz, Animotion, Berlin, Prefab Sprout, or any of the New Romantic bands of the 80s.

James Taylor? Are you kidding me? 'You've got a fix....' Neil Young? Blecchhhh.

Pink Floyd and Dire Straits were about all I could stomach from the 70s. I really liked the Floyd but lost interest after Animals and The Wall.

If you love soporific heroin-induced music, then the 70s are for you.

Carole King, Carly Simon, the Carpenters, the Eagles, Mott the Hoople, etc..... I pretty much hate all that stuff.

"You're so vain, you probably think this song is about you"....now there are some lyrics!

Right up there with

"Hey hey we're the Monkees"
 
Last edited:
If you love soporific heroin-induced music, then the 70s are for you.

Carole King, Carly Simon, the Carpenters, the Eagles, Mott the Hoople, etc..... I pretty much hate all that stuff.

Wow that's a weird congregation of pop, folk, and rock. Carole was great songstress though not my cup of tee. Eagles and Mott can rock for sure.

For seventies rock I think of:

Fleetwood Mac
Crosby Stills and Nash
Springsteen
Bob Seger though more in 80's
TYA was still rockin
Jefferson Starship
Jackson Browne
Lou Reed
Jethro Tull
Santana
Stones
Eric Clapton
Robin Trower
Dave Mason
The Who
ZZ Top
Southside Johnny


Not too shabby if you ask me :smoke:
 
Wow that's a weird congregation of pop, folk, and rock. Carole was great songstress though not my cup of tee. Eagles and Mott can rock for sure.

For seventies rock I think of:

Fleetwood Mac
Crosby Stills and Nash
Springsteen
Bob Seger though more in 80's
TYA was still rockin
Jefferson Starship
Jackson Browne
Lou Reed
Jethro Tull
Santana
Stones
Eric Clapton
Robin Trower
Dave Mason
The Who
ZZ Top
Southside Johnny


Not too shabby if you ask me :smoke:

Sorry, I disagree. I much prefer the 80s and 90s. I have no recordings by these artists and never did, except for a few Stones, which I did not replace when I sold all my LPs in in 1988. The Stones were no good after Brian Jones died.
 
Last edited:
I've got music from the '40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s in my collection. Yes, even the Monkees. There has been great music in every decade. I have my preferences, but if there is one thing I've seen on AK in the short time I've been here, it's that everyone has their own tastes in music, and that's how it should be. I've been following this thread because I particularly like rock-n-roll, but rock-n-roll comes in many forms. Is it dead? I hope not.
 
I've got music from the '40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s in my collection. Yes, even the Monkees. There has been great music in every decade. I have my preferences, but if there is one thing I've seen on AK in the short time I've been here, it's that everyone has their own tastes in music, and that's how it should be. I've been following this thread because I particularly like rock-n-roll, but rock-n-roll comes in many forms. Is it dead? I hope not.

I was into rock 'n' roll for maybe 15 minutes. I think I was 19 at the time.
 
That's just wrong. Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, GYYY'sO, Exile...

If you don't like those you don't like rock.

Who said I liked rock? I don't, aside for about 15 minutes, when I was 19. Rock is not my cup of tea. For some reason, baby boomers are expected to like rock. I don't, and never really did. If you declare that you don't like it, people look at you like you are some kind of freak.

Listen to Renaissance of the Celtic Harp (Alan Stivell) or Gone to Earth (David Sylvian). That's music. Sylvian wanted to leave the rock world, and did so. His work from the 80s and 90s is brilliant. It's not 'rock' at all.
 
Last edited:
You're expected to like rock because you're posting in a thread about it. :rolleyes:

Not at all. The thread is called is rock dead, and I said I hope so.

Tangerine Dream, Eurhythmics, Everything But The Girl, Dead Can Dance, Flairck, David Sylvian, Pentangle, Prefab Sprout, October Project, Over the Rhine, Pet Shop Boys....

These are artists that could be called 'post-rock'.

The acts like those of the 60s and 70s don't really exist anymore. That stuff was already passe by 1973, when the Stones released Goat's Head Soup. And if you need any further proof, the sight of David Bowie and Mick Jagger prancing to Dancing in the Street should suffice.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xctl24_david-bowie-mick-jagger-dancing-in_music#.UMK7aKx0mQE
 
Last edited:
I submit that Rock is not dead. It did not die when it morphed from the 50s to the 60s. It did not die when it morphed from the 60's psychdelic to the 70s and into Arena Rock. It didn't die when Punk exploded. It didn't die during the 80s synth emergence. I didn't die during the 90s grunge and garage rock emergence, ad infinitum.....

Rock doesn't die, it changes and adapts. That is it's strength, and I for one am grateful. I was teen during the 70s and I have an affinity for the music of that era but I can find examples of great rock from all eras, everything is relative.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom