• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is there a Indoor FM antenna that works well

Register to hide this ad
Speaking from personal experience, I haven't found any indoor antenna that works better than a standard FM dipole. I've tried a few active antennas, but I was disappointed with all of them.
 
Indoor antenna quality is going to depend on your geographic location. What kind of reception do you get with the old "folded dipole" usually provided with a new tuner or reciever?If you have a attic,pick-up and old used TV VHF antenna and install in your attic at the highest point you will be pleasantly surprised with the results...


Dave
 
The good ol' 300-ohm dipole is the "0 dB" or reference antenna for FM reception. They are indeed quite good, given their figure-8 reception pattern. They are inexpensive to buy or make. If you make your own, you can "tune" (cut to length) the arms of the dipole more or less specifically (e.g., for the lower end of the FM band if you only listen to "college"/nonprofit stations below 92 MHz).
 
Magnum Dynalab silver Ribbon

chuckworkb said:
I am in need of a good indoor FM antenna - are there any that really work well?
Basically a passive set top dipole that you can adjust. It works well in my situation--45 miles from Philly antenna farm and about 60 miles from Baltimore and I can easily rotate and change the lenght of the arms to bring a station in. It looks neat too, has kind of an art deco design. I think theey cost about $29.00.
 
Heres the magnum dynalab Veloceleste was talking
about,Closer to $100 w/ shipping I beleive
http://www.magnumdynalab.com/fmantenna-sr100.htm
the M.D. T-2 can be indoor/outdoor for the same $$$
Also check out Godarusa.com for indoor/attic Ideas.
I finally put a Yagi on my roof and get stations I didnt know existed,but you said indoor so....
Magnum also makes the SIGNAL SLUETH,which if you
did a search here,you might find some users w/ info
its meant to go inline with your antenna,Info about
it is on their web site also!
Mark
 
I really like the Modified Cubic Quad I made. In my office system I have one mounted flat against the wall with the point of the two squares pointed at the station I most listen to I get a very strong signal all most pegging my signal strength meter with a station 38 miles away.

Plans are here:

http://www.wryr.org/Antenna_instructions.pdf
 
I really like my BIC beam box. I have an FM-10 that works very well, especially fine-tuning to eliminate multipath distortion.
 
Any indoor antenna will be bested by an outdoor antenna
Couldn't agree more. I've Been using and old,old channel master yagi with 75Ω coax and a couple 300Ω baluns.
As soon as I find a ridiculously cheap rotor up it goes also.


Dave
 
Mark W. said:
I really like the Modified Cubic Quad I made. In my office system I have one mounted flat against the wall with the point of the two squares pointed at the station I most listen to I get a very strong signal all most pegging my signal strength meter with a station 38 miles away.

Plans are here:

http://www.wryr.org/Antenna_instructions.pdf

Mark:

I'd like to build one of these. A question: it seems like the instructions call for joining together the wires that create the square (creating a loop if you will), then attaching the 300ohm ribbon cable to the joined wires and then also to one of the corners. Seems weird to me...why not just connect the two ends of the square directly to the 300ohm feeder? Can you enlighten me on how you made yours?

Here's the text:

"Connect the two ends of the length or (sic? - should this be "of"?) wire together at one of the points where the feeder connects, this involves stripping the insulation back a bit, winding the ends together and, preferably, soldering them up. One of the conductors in the feeder connects to this point also, the other connects the corner of the adjacent loop. Strip a bit of insulation off at this corner and attach the other conductor of the feeder."

What?:confused:

Jeff
 
chuckworkb said:
I am in need of a good indoor FM antenna - are there any that really work well?

It depends on how far away the station is.
NO indoor antenna is much good for DXing.
 
Back
Top Bottom