• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

It's not just stereos that the kids don't want.

Why does going to college or not need to come into play? Can't people without degrees get their **** together, regardless of generation? Sure they can. I know I did.

Yes....

I did also, but the point is a system that promotes a safe society so that most people also can get their **** together without the circumstances that create gang infested neighborhoods. Those that I grew up with did not choose to be either dead or to serve life sentences in prison. Good neighborhoods have family support systems and employment opportunities that are not found in crime neighborhoods, poor hungry children don't choose to be in gangs, they are beaten half to death and forced to be in gangs. Those that have a little bit of money in their pockets try like hell just to keep their children out of gangs just to have their children killed on the way home from a basketball game. Your situation has nothing to do with that of poor children growing up in the worst situations.
 
Yes....

I did also, but the point is a system that promotes a safe society so that most people also can get their **** together without the circumstances that create gang infested neighborhoods. Those that I grew up with did not choose to be either dead or to serve life sentences in prison. Good neighborhoods have family support systems and employment opportunities that are not found in crime neighborhoods, poor hungry children don't choose to be in gangs, they are beaten half to death and forced to be in gangs. Those that have a little bit of money in their pockets try like hell just to keep their children out of gangs just to have their children killed on the way home from a basketball game. Your situation has nothing to do with that of poor children growing up in the worst situations.

I recall when Art Linkletter's son died of a drug overdose. America was stunned but not enough.
 
I wish I had my parents furniture....It was all stolen...Scandinavian stuff from the 60's...
 
Why does going to college or not need to come into play? Can't people without degrees get their **** together, regardless of generation? Sure they can. I know I did.

FYI to everyone.....Albert Einstein was a college drop out. :idea: Think about that for a moment. Kind of kills your points about going for higher education.......the list goes on & on btw....
 
Yes....

I did also, but the point is a system that promotes a safe society so that most people also can get their **** together without the circumstances that create gang infested neighborhoods. Those that I grew up with did not choose to be either dead or to serve life sentences in prison. Good neighborhoods have family support systems and employment opportunities that are not found in crime neighborhoods, poor hungry children don't choose to be in gangs, they are beaten half to death and forced to be in gangs. Those that have a little bit of money in their pockets try like hell just to keep their children out of gangs just to have their children killed on the way home from a basketball game. Your situation has nothing to do with that of poor children growing up in the worst situations.
Please.
My situation? You haven't a clue about my or anybody else's situations.
I'm more than aware of what (some) people in marginalized living situations have to deal with.
 
Precisely. As I said, anything that limits access to it...
Well, one of those access limiting things is just plain being born with mental tools better suited to a different path. That's why we have community colleges and we used to have high school votech and shop.
 
Well, one of those access limiting things is just plain being born with mental tools better suited to a different path. That's why we have community colleges and we used to have high school votech and shop.
Vocational training is no substitute for a broad education. Everyone benefits from education, though not everyone is necessarily suited to doing it at an academic depth, nor should they be required to do so. Good universities increasingly recognise this and provide a variety of educational opportunities for a wide range of abilities. Many universities are not solely academic self-perpetuation or vocational training for white-collar jobs.
 
That is a serious problem. Education is a step toward curing a host of ills -- poverty, prejudice, terrorism, criminality, etc. -- and anything that limits access to it, whether financial barriers or societal attitudes, contributes to those problems.

Many people like to blame poverty on the ills of the world, most of the notorious terrorist of this century, were college educated, and many came from well off families.
 
Many people like to blame poverty on the ills of the world, most of the notorious terrorist of this century, were college educated, and many came from well off families.
It would be no more logical to condemn the benefits of education in terms of generally addressing poverty, prejudice and ignorance -- despite the occasional educated nutcase who turns out to be a terrorist or murderer -- than condemn policing because the occasional cop turns out to be corrupt, or condemn flight because an airplane occasionally crashes.

Note that I did not blame poverty on the ills of the world. I suggested that education is one step -- among many necessary steps -- toward curing the ills of the world.
 
And I was simply pointing out that education or economic statues have no basis to claim that they can cure anything.
 
It seems that this has gone waaaaayyyy off topic now. How do the last 9 or so pages have anything to do with your kids not wanting your stuff or your old stereo equipment? Someone enlighten me.

:crazy::dunno::idea::no::crazy::crazy::crazy:
 
Could he not just mount a video card and use it? PCI slot?
The video card was permanently attached to the motherboard (this was a 2007 HP laptop), hence the whole motherboard replacement. This failure predated even the prototypes of external video cards by at least half a decade unfortunately. It also predated almost every CPU having graphics built in as a backup. Obviously not built with repair of the card alone in mind.

I'm almost solely a desktop user now, which I built myself (as I mentioned earlier, aided by YouTube) and can easily repair. My ultrabook sees limited use mainly for class and travel (it doesn't even have a video card).
 
The video card was permanently attached to the motherboard (this was a 2007 HP laptop), hence the whole motherboard replacement. This failure predated even the prototypes of external video cards by at least half a decade unfortunately. It also predated almost every CPU having graphics built in as a backup. Obviously not built with repair of the card alone in mind.

I'm almost solely a desktop user now, which I built myself (as I mentioned earlier, aided by YouTube) and can easily repair. My ultrabook sees limited use mainly for class and travel (it doesn't even have a video card).

Great. Me I'm going back to 4th grade reading class. I have a half dozen desktops hanging around here with parts enough to build another one. That's where my thoughts went after reading. (sorta), your post.
 
It seems that this has gone waaaaayyyy off topic now. How do the last 9 or so pages have anything to do with your kids not wanting your stuff or your old stereo equipment? Someone enlighten me.

:crazy::dunno::idea::no::crazy::crazy::crazy:

It's a conversation as to why they make different colored toothbrushes.. It's all the same as one who does or does not want to keep their parents stereo equipment.
It has value to those who may have loved the investment they have and wonder what will become of it. This conversation may help them realize, it is important to them, but maybe not their children and why. Not a bad thing.
 
FYI to everyone.....Albert Einstein was a college drop out. :idea: Think about that for a moment. Kind of kills your points about going for higher education.......the list goes on & on btw....

No, he dropped out of secondary school at 15. He then did what we'd call undergraduate work at Swiss Federal Polytechnic (Now ETH Zurich) and completed his PhD at University of Zurich in 1905. The physics miracle year, 1905, was the year he published his four seminal papers: Brownian Motion; the Phtoelectric Effect; Special Theory Of Relativity; and The Equivalence of Mass and Energy. Incidentally, anyone of the papers would likely have led to the Nobel prize.
 
My family has done a good job of handing down the important stuff before anybody really NEEDS to. One or my not prized possessions is the oak kitchen table than my grandfather and father (and then me) ate at through childhood.

My father had it repaired when I got married as a wedding present so that it's good for everyday use again. We entertain weekly with it. On the bottom is inscribed all of the names of the couples who used it
 
Back
Top Bottom