• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

JVC QL-?? owners thread

Something else to take notice of with the tt 71, 81, 101 or QL - 7 (w it’s tt 71) is the amount of torque that big motor produces. It is a wonderful amount of torque compared to even some of the nicer mid level models like Technics SL- 1700.

Using a Discwasher doesn’t make it slow down with the QL A7 and I believe that huge amount of torque helps that stable speed.

I know my QL-A7 with the TT71 has both a lot of torque and also a pretty good brake system as well. The platter comes to a quick stop as soon as you hit the stop button. There is a electro-mechanical brake with a pad that engages the ID of the plater.
Interesting to read that the TT71 motor drive assembly alone weighs 18 pounds, that's a lot of metal in that thing. Early on in this post I showed a picture of just the bare motor without the rest of the TT71 unit and it looked pretty substantial.
The more I find out about these the more I like them.

BillWojo
 
The TT71 are fantastic units. They don't command a lot of money compared to Denon for some reason and are simpler to recap.
 
I've a QL-7. The platter has been damped with Dynamat Extreme and mat replaced with SDS IsoPlatMat, the arm changed for a Fidelity Research FR-54. It's the best sounding table I possess. It's been fully recapped too.

The only irritation is that with Brisbane often being a humid environment the touch sensitive buttons don't always register that they've been pressed.

I'm going to have to agree with respect to the Empire 2000E/III as well. I'm convinced there's no current production cart can match it. If the diamond is missing and the suspension is good then send it off for a retip.

That re-tipping cost alot! I may be in the wrong hobby. I am pondering if this 30 dollar turn table, I have already sunk an extra 40 dollars into, might just have to be put away and worked on over time......a long time.

So if I cant afford the re-tipping, would anyone recommend a decently priced cartridge. I came across an Audio Technica VM95e (really cheap) and an Ortofon OM-10 super (the most I am willing to spend). I am not an audiophile, I just dont want to ruin my records. I love good sounding music, but I dont necessarily want to hear the sound engineer sniffle.
Hell, my amp/reciever is a Sony str-dh190. I have a pair of Klipsch Synergy B3 I picked up at goodwill for 45 dollars. I found the JVC and bought it because people are telling me my lp60x (paid 13 for brand new in box on clearance) will ruin my records. I dont know if I am ready to 300 more dollars into this player.

I will gladly give this cartridge away if I buy another one that I can make work.

It seems instead of the shallow end, I leaped straight into the middle of the pool.
 
My dilemma is such that everything has always shipped ems from Japan which isn’t cheap but More affordable than dhl, it’s not available now all of a sudden. Want to get the drive unit and start on another plinth. I have a 308N and 407/23 arm to use with this, those are affordable arms.
 
@bsjapost grab that AT VM95e and use it. There is plenty of information on the AT cart and it's possible upgrades with different stylus down the road if you choose to go that way.
Save the cart that you have, down the road you might regret selling it.
No need to spend hundreds at the moment, you just want to listen to your records and that AT cart is pretty good.

BillWojo
 
@bsjapost Definitely hang on to the cart you have. While the stylus may or may not be toast, the cartridge body will endure. One day you may desire to find a stylus or have the ability to truly verify stylus condition. Doesn't matter much either way, the cartridge takes up little storage space.

Since you have taken the cart off the headshell, take your time to study up a little on the proper installation and setup of the replacement on your table.
 
@bsjapost Definitely hang on to the cart you have. While the stylus may or may not be toast, the cartridge body will endure. One day you may desire to find a stylus or have the ability to truly verify stylus condition. Doesn't matter much either way, the cartridge takes up little storage space.

Since you have taken the cart off the headshell, take your time to study up a little on the proper installation and setup of the replacement on your table.
So much studying. I downloaded the manual before I bought the table. Read overall the ql-f300 threads here and vinyl engine before I bought it aswell.
 
The TT71 are fantastic units. They don't command a lot of money compared to Denon for some reason and are simpler to recap.

Ironic because JVC supposedly either designed it for Denon or sold them the existing design. I have read a variety of claims that JVC did it for Denon edit: (as well as others like Micro Seiki). Whatever the truth, JVC had some top notch engineers and design. The quartz lock was theirs.
 
Last edited:
Ironic because JVC either designed it fir Denon or sold them the existing design. I have read a variety of claims that JVC did it for Denon as well as others. Whatever the truth, JVC had some top notch engineers and design. The quartz lock was theirs.

Don't know if this is true, all JVC direct drives use DC motors, all Denons use AC motors (just like Sony and Fujiya Audio) and their internal design is very different. If anything, I would be inclined to think that it was Fujiya who built Denon's motor units and not JVC. But I don't know for sure, obviously.
 
Don't know if this is true, all JVC direct drives use DC motors, all Denons use AC motors (just like Sony and Fujiya Audio) and their internal design is very different. If anything, I would be inclined to think that it was Fujiya who built Denon's motor units and not JVC. But I don't know for sure, obviously.

That’s good to know. I do know that the tt-71 has 200 volts DC running around and states to be careful about hooking up scopes to check it out when adjusting.

I took it with a grain salt when reading people’s claims. I definitely don’t know what if any help one offered the other. Would be nice if someone definitely had knowledge.
 
2732723-0dff955a-victor-tt-61-quality-direct-drive-turntable.jpg


I have this coming to me soon, minus the tonearm. It's a factory CL-P2D base with a TT 61 motor drive. Comes with both arm boards. The base is a constrained layer dampening design that was never made available in the US.
Now finding info on the TT 61 is proving to be near impossible. I did find pictures of it with the platter removed and the bottom cover off. Looks like a cross between the TT 71 and the TT81.
My initial plan was to rob the motor drive out of my QL-A7 as I initially thought that the TT 61 was a much lesser model. I suspect it was pre quartz locked but that is just a hunch at this point. Here is a pic of the bottom with the cover removed.
i-img1200x900-1544621518xeogwh365866.jpg

Here is a picture without the platter.
i-img1200x900-15446215183fe5fp428613.jpg

Is anyone familiar with the TT 61?
Thanks

BillWojo
 
I keep looking at the deals from Japan but the shipping cost is a killer. This is coming out of Canada.
Are you getting a complete TT or just the motor drive unit?

BillWojo
 
Just the motor and a head shell. The shipping is gonna come down when japan post can ship it. Normally you have 30 days of free storage then they charge you every day, mine shows I still have 30 days left of free storage, haven’t checked in a week though and need to soon. They gave me an original shipping quote much less then it went through the roof is why there doing it like that. They also charge you the full shipping price if you have them discard the package. I’m done with them after this.
 
2732723-0dff955a-victor-tt-61-quality-direct-drive-turntable.jpg


I have this coming to me soon, minus the tonearm. It's a factory CL-P2D base with a TT 61 motor drive. Comes with both arm boards. The base is a constrained layer dampening design that was never made available in the US.
Now finding info on the TT 61 is proving to be near impossible. I did find pictures of it with the platter removed and the bottom cover off. Looks like a cross between the TT 71 and the TT81.
My initial plan was to rob the motor drive out of my QL-A7 as I initially thought that the TT 61 was a much lesser model. I suspect it was pre quartz locked but that is just a hunch at this point. Here is a pic of the bottom with the cover removed.
i-img1200x900-1544621518xeogwh365866.jpg

Here is a picture without the platter.
i-img1200x900-15446215183fe5fp428613.jpg

Is anyone familiar with the TT 61?
Thanks

BillWojo

It doesn’t seem to be a quartz locked drive with those pitch controls. JVC does have a very good speed control design and does the best with wow/flutter even with out it.

Edit: I mis-read the post about shipping. I thought you were getting it from Japan.
Disregard my earlier response about it. It’s a beautiful looking table.
 
Last edited:
When I got my TT-101 interestingly there were 2 of them both bought by a couple of guy's who
shall we say had an import export business and had problems disposing of cash hence all the extravagant
toys.
I ended up only buying 1 and some other interesting gear but they turned down my offer on the JBL Hartsfield's.
 
buyee has given that offer to all folks, extended free storage, not just me. Don’t know if it applies If you purchase now. Every time I say I’m done with them I see some other neat item that I think I might need. So it’s best to stay off of there site.
 
Back
Top Bottom