• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

kef 103.3 - worth $100 ?

Mingo

stranger in a strange land
Subscriber
There's a pair of KEF 103/3 speakers near me for $100. They are solid speakers in good cosmetic condition, but the playing condition is unknown. The kube is not included. Is it a good deal for $100?
 
Register to hide this ad
Give them a listen. Unless there is something seriously wrong, for a $100, not much to think about.
Happy listening
 
Whoops, I should have added that auditioning them is not an option. And many report that the kube is needed to get the most out of them.
 
Pass. The 103.3 was designed with the Kube as part of the system. They will play and sound OK but they will not sound right without one. It was not optional, the designers never intended the speaker to be played without one. The bass response will be wrong and there will be slight anomalies elsewhere.

Also, the 103.3 has foam donuts over the voice coli of the internal woofer that are almost sure to be rotted out. They are a real PITA to change. It is doable and I would jump if there was a Kube and I had a good speaker specialist nearby. But to go through the trouble and bother of fixing them to have a speaker that is not right is not a good deal. You MIGHT find a Kube on eBay but it has to be the specific 103.3 Kube to give the proper result.

Put your money in one of the many other Kefs that will give less grief.

Also, keep in mind that any owner who lost or got rid of the Kube cannot be trusted to have taken care of his speakers and cannot be trusted as a source of decent information.

Oh yeah, final nail in the coffin: the 103.3 uses the T33 MKII tweeters that are also prone to jamming up due to hardened ferrofluid. Again fixable, but...

BTW, I am not a Kef hater. Just a former Kef (including 103.3) salesperson, huge Kef fan, past and present Kef (Reference with Kube) owner.
 
Last edited:
Pass. The 103.3 was designed with the Kube as part of the system. They will play and sound OK but they will not sound right without one. It was not optional, the designers never intended the speaker to be played without one. The bass response will be wrong and there will be slight anomalies elsewhere.

Also, the 103.3 has foam donuts over the voice coli of the internal woofer that are almost sure to be rotted out. They are a real PITA to change. It is doable and I would jump if there was a Kube and I had a good speaker specialist nearby. But to go through the trouble and bother of fixing them to have a speaker that is not right is not a good deal. You MIGHT find a Kube on eBay but it has to be the specific 103.3 Kube to give the proper result.

Put your money in one of the many other Kefs that will give less grief.

Also, keep in mind that any owner who lost or got rid of the Kube cannot be trusted to have taken care of his speakers and cannot be trusted as a source of decent information.

Oh yeah, final nail in the coffin: the 103.3 uses the T33 MKII tweeters that are also prone to jamming up due to hardened ferrofluid. Again fixable, but...

BTW, I am not a Kef hater. Just a former Kef (including 103.3) salesperson, huge Kef fan, past and present Kef (Reference with Kube) owner.

I'm not sure how you find the inner doughnuts a PITA to replace - I found it really easy. The 103/3 isn't tough to get apart, either.

Anyway, $100 is a good price for a set without the KUBE, but you will have to be prepared to find a 103/3 KUBE if you want to hear what they're supposed to sound like. Ray has it right on the money that they will sound imbalanced at best without it.
 
I'm not sure how you find the inner doughnuts a PITA to replace - I found it really easy. The 103/3 isn't tough to get apart, either.

Anyway, $100 is a good price for a set without the KUBE, but you will have to be prepared to find a 103/3 KUBE if you want to hear what they're supposed to sound like. Ray has it right on the money that they will sound imbalanced at best without it.

It is quite doable and I did get my pair apart to get the donuts changed. It is not bad from the point of view of someone used to working on speakers but I feel it should be pointed out to someone asking about the 103.3 as they may have no experience or inclination to go down that kind of road. Once warned they can look it up and decide. It does involved removing the stands if present, removing the bolt for the rod, getting the bottom plate off which can be quite tight due to the gasket, reaching in to a moderately tight space and removing the rod, then getting the woofer bolts out and finally unsoldering the woofer leads. Compared to the vast majority of speakers where you just remove 3 or 4 screws and unclip some leads it is quite a bit more involved. You are probably a lot handier than I am, which would not be hard!
 
Hey fellow KEF aficionados
I've been following any and all threads about KEF speakers, especially 103/3s
As an original owner,I've always had the Kube in the system. The setup instructions say it's part of the crossover. Can anyone answer this:
If the Extend button is OUT and the contour dial is at ZERO(12o'clock),
is the Kube doing anything at all? Mine as been set this way for years.
I've haven't had a system with tone controls in years and find no reason to constantly adjust the Kube.
I recently set them up in my other system without the Kube.
I'll say this. If there are any shortcommings, they must be real subtle.
The ML No.27.5 is just the amp to make these come alive!
Happy listening
Jimmy
 
Can anyone answer this:
If the Extend button is OUT and the contour dial is at ZERO(12o'clock),
is the Kube doing anything at all? Mine as been set this way for years.

Yes, it does. Doesn't boost or attenuate anything, just performs the active assist in the alignment that was designed for (flattest response).
 
103.3 and ML 27.5, very nice! I sold them both and that must be a beautiful combo.

Not wishing to trust my memory I found this which should be helpful:

http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/Anatomy/KEFDocuments/KEF102/KEF_Model_102_Manual.pdf

As I thought, if you do not have the Extend IN, you have limited your LF response. Extend represents the natural LF response of the system, Kef allowed you to limit it in case of a warped LP, lack of amp power or room interactions by leaving Extend OUT. It will cut off at a higher frequency the way you have it. The Kube will still be working, it always is if you run the signal through regardless of the control position. Moving the controls simply modifies the effect.

The contour varies the volume of the bass +/- 3db below a certain frequency. It was not meant to be played with often, they recommended using it to flatten the response in a given room.

Let us know if you get lower bass response with the Extend IN.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for all of the responses and information. Family obligations and a pair of Snell bookshelves kept me from getting the KEFs, though I suspect there will be a pair at some point in my future.
 
I would have JUMPED on those!! An offer of $80 would have taken them home. The 103.3 KUBE comes up on eBay from time to time.
 
Recently picked up a 103.3 pair for $100. Very good condition and sound great, even without the Kube. Planning to buy the Kube and then have the driver/tweeter work done when I save up a few more pennies. Anyway, what is a reasonable price for a Kube with the power cord? I've been seeing $100+.
 
Holy thread resurrection batman.

Raynald may wonder why it took me four years to like his post.

Off topic: As the internet and forums get older, wouldn't it be nice when any thread that is older than a couple years would get a note, or symbol (like a mummy), posted in the subject line so fools like me would be warned when they opened the thread.
 
Thread resurrection is a fact of life on discussion boards and add to the knowledge of even an old post. Liking old posts is perfectly fine IMHO. Any mummy symbol would require a mods time to edit the title. IMHO, look at the thread title, then scan just below for the original poster and it’s start date, that will tell you how old the thread is easily.

Skolzman, KUBES tend to run in the Upper tens to $150 or more formthe most desirable unit matches. The 103/3 isn’t very common so you might get lucky pricewise.
 
Thread resurrection is a fact of life on discussion boards and add to the knowledge of even an old post. Liking old posts is perfectly fine IMHO.

Agreed.

Any mummy symbol would require a mods time to edit the title.

Programming.

Yes it is a first world problem but I wouldn't be surprised if something like what I suggest ends up being used in time.
 
Sorry to stir up anything. Some boards I’ve been on prefer that you don’t start a new thread if there’s already something similar but understand this isn’t the same topic. Thanks.
 
Sorry to stir up anything. Some boards I’ve been on prefer that you don’t start a new thread if there’s already something similar but understand this isn’t the same topic. Thanks.

No. Apologies all mine. Did not mean to be critical of bringing the thread back. I was just pointing out that I was fooled a bit but that is normal for me.

Belated welcome to AK. When you get a Kube, I think it would be great for you to report your listening impression right here.
 
Back
Top Bottom