• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

klh 6 speakers

wlhd1610

R.I.P. Penny
Sponsor
There is a pair of these locally that are in fair condition. Are they worth the asking price of $80 ? Thanks , Bob
 
Register to hide this ad
Check them out, listen and decide. It might be something you like. Plus you might meet some cool people - this is of course if it is fairly close and you would listen to these not just add to a collection (although no issue with that either).
Until you hear a speaker or any componenet yourself it is really hard to decide just based on other's opinion. I have a pir of 5s and love them. The 6 is a two way but many people love them.
 
I would pass at that price, but on the other hand, I am listening to a pair now that I picked up at a Salvation Army a bunch of years ago for $10 the pair. They did need a new driver, though, which Toasted Almond sent me (what a great guy!).

Now that I have them, I must say they're my overall favorite of all my speakers, over the years. And I seldom see them at thrift stores anymore - they've really become cult classics. So maybe they are worth it. Still, I'm cheap. Mine do not have wood veneer - that seems a lot for vinyl.
 
They will need a recap. Just make sure that they are not the original models with the non-removable grills, woofers, etc. I have a pair that I haven't attempted to get into yet. From all I've read, it ain't pretty. For me, $80 is about 2x too much for a pair of Sixes. You can usually find 17's for 1/4 to 1/3 of that price and they will do 95% of what the 6's do. I'd say save your $$ and wait for a decent pair of 23's or even 5's. Although I actually prefer my 23's to my 5's (looks and sound wise).

Dave
 
I stand corrected by the KLH experts. I got my 5s from Dave - they sound GREAT (recapped and great condition)!
 
The 6 were just sold on eBay for $194.

Watching eBay, it seems that model 6 is more valuable then any other classic KLH, and only the 2nd to model 5. 6 is probably larger in size then other models and only 2nd to model 5.

Price very depend on location. In my area I am not able to buy classic KLH even for 100% of market price simply because they do not offered here at all.

KLH are not that large speakers and can be shipped. I suspect this happen in my area, since I am not able to find them locally.

If you in KLH-scarce area, $80 is a steal (if in collectible condition).
 
I just sold a pair for $90 (my asking price) lots of sellers ask much more. I had refinished the cabinets and the grills. So, it depends on condition. If you want to pay less - wait a few days and offer what you think is reasonable. It is all about local demand.
 
I stand corrected by the KLH experts. I got my 5s from Dave - they sound GREAT (recapped and great condition)!

Hey Laz - what ever happened to the recapped Fives you got from me? I really liked those speakers, but the Twenty-Three kind of outshined 'em in the midrange / natural presence department when played side by side. FWIW, another AK'er who was over here for the "shootout" preferred the Fives. Guess that's why they made so many different models - somethin' for everyone! :yes:
 
If you listen to them and they soud good i don't think 80.00 is a bad price. I do like my 17's so far. I need a tweeter for one of them yet. Which models share the same tweeter with the 17's?
 
I'll have to drive like 60 miles to see/hear them. Last Sunday I asked the fellow if he would hold them for me and he said he would .

I will give him a call and if he kept his word then it would only be right to do the same.

Thanks for all the replies , Bob
 
Matt
I still ahve the 5s. I will need to get a pair of 23 to A/B them.
Sorry to call you Dave - not sure what's wrong with me LOL
 
Matt
I still ahve the 5s. I will need to get a pair of 23 to A/B them.
Sorry to call you Dave - not sure what's wrong with me LOL

Cool! Glad you still have 'em! Twenty-Threes show up on cl for peanuts pretty often (especially up there). Grab a set if you see them for sure (if you have the room!). The Fives go up a little higher but I like the presence of the Twenty-Threes, so it's kind of a trade-off.

BTW - don't worry about calling me Dave - I had a next door neighbor who called me Ed for 7 years! I was starting to think that maybe my name really was Ed :para:
 
If you listen to them and they soud good i don't think 80.00 is a bad price. I do like my 17's so far. I need a tweeter for one of them yet. Which models share the same tweeter with the 17's?

Same tweeter is used in the Twenty and Six. They show up on ebay all the time, if there's nothing there now just wait, there will be soon.

I'll have to drive like 60 miles to see/hear them. Last Sunday I asked the fellow if he would hold them for me and he said he would .

I will give him a call and if he kept his word then it would only be right to do the same.

Sure, that's true. You really have to check them out in person, and maybe they are in really nice shape in which case they would be worth it (especially if you've been wanting a pair). He may be willing to negotiate a little bit too, especially when you are there in person and showing a genuine interest.

Either way, good luck. I really like the Sixes but I'm spoiled because they are pretty cheap and easy to find down here for some reason.
 
Back
Top Bottom