• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Korf latest blog - tests 4 arm types for THD including U/Hang with surprising results

Hi, Sorry you obviously have not read any of the outstanding reviews that these arms have got, Try doing some research.

Cheers
 
Hi, Sorry you obviously have not read any of the outstanding reviews that these arms have got, Try doing some research.

Cheers
Subjective reviews are close to worthless without a correctly operating reference and blind listening, people are just too influenced by what they are told or expected to believe.

Those who promote/sell these arms should do the technical homework and show the comparative data and benefit on technical grounds. The tools are easily available to test how a cartridge actually perform in any arm.

The burden of proof is on those who make extraordinary claims like claiming an obsolete design that was abandoned almost 100 years ago ( for very good reasons )as superior.

I have done my research and homework, and the technical proof showing the benefit of an offset , overhang pivot tonearm is overwhelming, nothing other than hearsay supports the straight underhung arm . While the proof of its problems is simply overwhelming.

What we need is the measurements or math that show the benefit of a underhung straight arm . so far we have seen nothing , nor heard any controlled recordings .



Read and weep. A straigth arm underhung not has does not avoid skating force , the skating force is there regardless of the arm design. A straight arm with Noe offset headshell still has an offset force, and it varies much more than for a standard arm design
IMG_3370.jpeg

IMG_3371.png
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3369.jpeg
    IMG_3369.jpeg
    261.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3369.jpeg
    IMG_3369.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3370.jpeg
    IMG_3370.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Gentleman, You can bleep all you like, unless you open your minds & your EARS & listen to one of these arms, you are missing out big time.
I am using my 8.4'' Warlock Ceramic Float arm & my 15'' Baerwald recommended magnesium arm & can assure you that I have achieved a level of performance & separation and musical depth that I have never heard before in any system at any price or for that matter any of my previous highly acclaimed 12'' arms.

So if I am breaking all the theoretical rules & get the performance I am getting I do not care one iota. It works & it's exceptional.

I will close the subject (for me at least) & enthrall myself listening to a Haydn Piano No 6.

Cheers
 
@tabarddn51 , before you quit, Can you please show the geometry and alignment you use for arm and cartridge. I am curious about what actual skating force and alignment error you actually get. Is it some sort of linear pivoting arm Thales or Reed contraption? It does not seem to be a traditional pivoting arm at all… so pivoting arm math will not fit. Apples&bricks
With some more info it would be possible to understand your setup better. All we know so far is that you like the sound of it.

A
 
Last edited:
So if I am breaking all the theoretical rules & get the performance I am getting I do not care one iota. It works & it's exceptional.
Good for you. Glad you are happy. Is that what you want?

Or do you want to state that every other kind of tonearm is 'less than'?

Every so often someone comes on AK saying they have some key to sonic bliss that eludes everyone else.
Usually they go away after a while. Sometimes they go to other forums and try it there.
 
Last edited:
To understand the difference between overhang and underhung arm I read Bauers tracking angle article.

Then I asked Claud to implement the formulas and plot the relations in a Python script after 10 iterations I got this.
Showing tracking angle, skating force and distortion from tracking error.

As a reference I use SME V data, and the resluts match
1789808732897.png



Note Radial pull tangential to groove to wards spindle Fr=F*TAN (tracking angle), skating force 90 degrees to the arm pivot-stylus is F*SIN (tracking angle)= pull along arm arc. same "force", just direction differs.
1789808774271.png

1789808790215.png

You may play with your own aligment here, A web App I asked Claude to make for me..
 
Last edited:
To understand the difference between overhang and underhung arm I read Bauers tracking angle article.

Then I asked Claud to implement the formulas and plot the relations in a Python script after 10 iterations I got this.
Showing tracking angle, skating force and distortion from tracking error.

As a reference I use SME V data, and the resluts match
View attachment 3839657



Note Radial pull tangential to groove to wards spindle Fr=F*TAN (tracking angle), skating force 90 degrees to the arm pivot-stylus is F*SIN (tracking angle)= pull along arm arc. same "force", just direction differs.
View attachment 3839659

View attachment 3839660

You may play with your own aligment here, A web App I asked Claude to make for me..
I wonder if Claude could add dynamic force due to modulation into the skating equation.
 
Back
Top Bottom