• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Leader Lav-192A

Linx1

New Member
Could someone tell me if this is a piece of gear that I will use. I am interested in repairing and building tube amplifiers as well as servicing other vintage amplifiers (transistors). This is being done as a hobby.
 
Register to hide this ad
Looks like a combined audio signal generator and VTVM. (Or provably FET input VM).

I could see using that for all sorts of audio measurements. All you need to add is an oscilloscope and you're well on the way. Of course, there's more modern stuff out there, but the old analog gear is intuitive and far from useless.
 
Good info and a PDF on it Leader, LAV 192

That unit is a sine wave signal generator... and a millivolt meter... so it can make a signal for you to input into the unit you're testing and then measure how much of that signal is getting through your unit. That has some amount of value.

A multimeter is better for measuring power supplies. An oscilloscope is better for measuing / viewing what is happening to the signal. A cheap component tester is much more valuable for testing individual components.

That Leader unit is ok for a narrow range of tests, but not the first few devices you'll need.
 
I should have mentioned I currently have an oscilloscope, pair of voltmeter and signal generator. The leader 192a would be part of a bulk purchase and I’m just trying to determine how useful it would be.
 
I'm partial to Leader gear so I'd jump on the LAV-192A if I saw one. I currently use an LMV-186B and an LAG-126S on a regular basis. The 192A basically combines those two function into one unit - nice for preserving bench space. Distortion specs on the sine wave is 0.05% for 500Hz - 20kHz. Not too bad . . . just a little worse than my LAG-126S
 
I should have mentioned I currently have an oscilloscope, pair of voltmeter and signal generator. The leader 192a would be part of a bulk purchase and I’m just trying to determine how useful it would be.

The feature I like, which is kind of unique to this piece, is the two channel analog volt meter. I could see using that to do a quick measurement of frequency response, having one channel at the input and the other at the output of an amplifier. Then read the deviation in dB directly on the meter face.

The signal generator's attenuator looks well implemented too, and I also like how it has RCA inputs and outputs, so you don't always need a special cable to use it. In general it seems like a useful piece of gear. In fact, the more I look at it, the more I think I want one.

Like @Richard P above, I also like Leader gear, having a Leader oscilloscope and signal generator as fixtures on my bench.
 
Last edited:
Could someone tell me if this is a piece of gear that I will use. I am interested in repairing and building tube amplifiers as well as servicing other vintage amplifiers (transistors). This is being done as a hobby.
It belongs on a bench. I've used them. Great for biasing tape decks. Leader makes good test equipment.
 
The key thing here is that it is a millivolt meter, with lowest scale of 1.5mV FS. Typical multimeters will not go down to that low signal level. In addition, there are two channels, two needles on the meter so you can connect your stereo L & R channels and use the dual needles to simultaneously compare both channels for adjustment. The analog meter is also useful for audio signals because you can see music waveforms (much like a VU meter) instead of trying to read a digital readout.
 
Back
Top Bottom