• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mains cables...

So it isn't the better constructed mains cables one wants, but the ones that behave more like a line filter? :)
 
Last edited:
Isn't that part of a "better constructed mains cables" job?
Well, I think making the conductors bigger, and having nice plugs and sockets fitted doesn't necessarily mean the the cable will filter off noise better. Even an electrostatic screen around the cables will only deal with the most local noise getting on to the cable line, but won't deal with the noise already on the line.

So, to me 'better constructed' doesn't necessarily mean 'better able to filter line noise'.
 
Out of curiosity, wouldn't some sort of power line filter for all the components be better for reducing interference? Another question is how much of an issue is EMI / RFI? I seem to have none even with the stock cables on my Dual 506-1 turntable, for example. With nothing playing on the 'table and the volume cranked, I hear just the faintest hiss that would be undetectable normally. I never play anything that loud, and any music whatsoever will cover it. Am I missing something here? Is this just what some do in hopes for an improvement, or do some really have issues with interference?
 
Out of curiosity, wouldn't some sort of power line filter for all the components be better for reducing interference? Another question is how much of an issue is EMI / RFI? I seem to have none even with the stock cables on my Dual 506-1 turntable, for example. With nothing playing on the 'table and the volume cranked, I hear just the faintest hiss that would be undetectable normally. I never play anything that loud, and any music whatsoever will cover it. Am I missing something here? Is this just what some do in hopes for an improvement, or do some really have issues with interference?
There have been various tests of the audibility of power cords. Here, for example, is one: https://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/feature-article-blind-test-power-cords-12-2004.html

The outcome of such tests is generally that changing cords does not have an audible effect, but all such tests draw reasonable criticisms (and my point in mentioning them is not to rehash them again here!) The most accurate answer, at this point, is almost certainly that more research is needed.

As a collector of vintage oscilloscopes, I do note that some models are susceptible to EMI introduced via an unshielded line cord which is visible as fattening of the trace, i.e., an increase in the noise floor, that can be reduced by using a shielded line cord. It's not difficult to surmise that in some cases, with some audio equipment, the equivalent effect would result in an audible increase in the noise floor that would be audibly reduced by using a shielded line cord.

But this is just a hypothesis. Again, more research is needed.
 
There have been various tests of the audibility of power cords. Here, for example, is one: https://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/feature-article-blind-test-power-cords-12-2004.html

The outcome of such tests is generally that changing cords does not have an audible effect, but all such tests draw reasonable criticisms (and my point in mentioning them is not to rehash them again here!) The most accurate answer, at this point, is almost certainly that more research is needed.

As a collector of vintage oscilloscopes, I do note that some models are susceptible to EMI introduced via an unshielded line cord which is visible as fattening of the trace, i.e., an increase in the noise floor, that can be reduced by using a shielded line cord. It's not difficult to surmise that in some cases, with some audio equipment, the equivalent effect would result in an audible increase in the noise floor that would be audibly reduced by using a shielded line cord.

But this is just a hypothesis. Again, more research is needed.
Oh yeah, the old line cord sound tests! ;) I guess I was thinking that home audio equipment has a power supply that should suppress such interference compared to say, car audio that's easy to introduce all sorts of interference, noises from other devices, ground loops, etc. Still, it seems like most noise would be introduced in the hundreds of feet of Romex found in most houses and noisy appliances vs a 3-6' line cord. What do I know; I don't have such noise issues to even try to eliminate!
 
Last edited:
So it isn't the better constructed mains cables one wants, but the ones that behave more like a line filter? :)
Yes - if the ideal amp is a short piece of wire with gain, then the ideal mains cable is a short piece of wire with a gain of one. But that's hard to $ell.
 
If someone tells you this power cord makes an improvement and then you hear an improvement.(Psycho-acoustics)
If someone tells you this power cord makes an improvement and then you don't hear an improvement.(Honesty and good hearing)
Btw my kettle boils with natural gas 0 watts.
 
Well - possibly for the source and pre-amp and no for the power amp. Even McIntosh says do not use any filtering on their power amps as they have enough filtering built-in to the amps.
Actually, what you find in their manuals is avoiding conditioners, not necessarily low gauge power cords with filter networks. Plug them directly into the outlet. I agree and use conditioners for sources only. Preamp goes straight to wall with 12 gauge double shielded Belden sourced cord.
 
Last edited:
I just love me a thick, semi ridgid, black and strong power cable...

:)
I also thought along the same lines. As it turns out my pair of Pangea AC9 7 gauge wires actually increase emi noise and my much thinner gauge MIT Z cord reduces emi. Like most things in this hobby including aftermarket power cords you get what you pay for.
 
I also thought along the same lines. As it turns out my pair of Pangea AC9 7 gauge wires actually increase emi noise and my much thinner gauge MIT Z cord reduces emi. Like most things in this hobby including aftermarket power cords you get what you pay for.
Indeed. Gauge is about current, not noise.

The MIT cords use multiple shielding strategies like the Harmonic Technology, JPS Labs and Belden based DIY cords I use. I like combining both criteria. :)
 
I also thought along the same lines. As it turns out my pair of Pangea AC9 7 gauge wires actually increase emi noise and my much thinner gauge MIT Z cord reduces emi. Like most things in this hobby including aftermarket power cords you get what you pay for.

You went a totally a different direction than I was going with the same quote :rolleyes:
So I didn’t post it after reading yours :D
:beerchug:
 
Back
Top Bottom