• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mains cables...

The last time that happened was January 2017.


In what country do you live?
Yes, the last time it approached (as I recall) $3/gal average in the US. As soon as prices hit a level that affects consumer spending, strategic reserves are released. This shouldn't be news, or shocking (or even political). It's just one of the reasons that US prices stay where they do. They are effectively controlled to stay there. Ultimately this affects what the US consumer will purchase for a vehicle. And why not? There's not too much penalty for driving a pickup that gets 16mpg compared to the rest of the world.

In that timeframe, I was living in Germany. Prices were not much cheaper in the UK or France then.
 
That's not how it works. A 240 volt supply doesn't make appliances consume twice the energy of a 120 volt supply.
Hot Ovaltine?
Actually, it sounds like what a certain grumpy someone needs is a big hug. :hug:

Yes and as such burns more electricity as more watts are needed, thanks for arguing my point.

I'm curious if some know how electricity / electrical consumption is measured. Just think of your power bill; it's measured in kilowatt hours. Note the time component. As for whether higher voltage makes things use more power, remember: P=I*V (where P= watts, I=current, V=volts); 120 volts @ 20 amps is 2400 watts (in the US) and 240 volts @ 10 amps is 2400 watts (in the UK / Europe). They are the same: 2400=2400.
Now, it's possible to say that on a higher voltage circuit, one could use a bigger appliance and thus use more electricity. Say we're limited to 10 amps. 120 x 10 = 1200 an 240 x 10 = 2400. The lower voltage may make it look like it's using less power, but now let's add the time component in. The heater that runs on 120V/10A will take twice as long to heat a given area vs the one on 240/10A. The only time the higher voltage could cause one to use more power is if one wanted the biggest heater possible and ran it wide open with no regard for time, such as an electric heater being used outdoors in the winter, etc.
 
Last edited:
The point is we Brits like our tea, mostly we don't care how many watts in an amp, (or amps in a watt :D) - just so long as our 3kW kettle does its stuff so we can have that all important cup of tea. :)
 
I'm curious if some know how electricity / electrical consumption is measured

As I said earlier, I fear some don't appear to understand electricity at all...

Yes - you're not buying power. You're buying energy

Indeed. Some don't seem to understand the distinction between power and energy, or the simple relationship energy = power * time.
 
Some people find that a power conditioning unit is useful when they have power that is so "dirty" it can't be adequately cleaned by the amplifier's transformer electronics. But providing the power cord is properly rated for the use and has no faults (and doesn't require additional screening, as discussed above), I can't see how it could be degrading the quality over 1m given the variation over the miles of cable and many junctions it's passed through.

And again, if someone can demonstrate to me that power cable quality can affect the sound, I'm open to change. (Just like I recall audio cable demonstrations (eg. interconnect and speaker cable) demonstrated that different quality audio carriers do influence the sound.

Ok then; my 2 pence; 1st pic shows about the average emi distortion on my home electric lines at 9:30pm where it tends to run a little higher than it does during the day. Second reading is from a dedicated audio line using spiral wound multi strand wiring as opposed to standard solid core wiring. Last pic is the reading I get from my preamp's extra outlet after it passes through a balanced Furman conditioner.
I have what I consider to be decent power with zero problems. But as the meter shows everything matters and yes the reduction of emi from 600 down to 42 is audible.
 

Attachments

  • 20190528_212513.jpg
    20190528_212513.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20190528_212549.jpg
    20190528_212549.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 20190528_212659.jpg
    20190528_212659.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 30
Ok then; my 2 pence; 1st pic shows about the average emi distortion on my home electric lines at 9:30pm where it tends to run a little higher than it does during the day. Second reading is from a dedicated audio line using spiral wound multi strand wiring as opposed to standard solid core wiring. Last pic is the reading I get from my preamp's extra outlet after it passes through a balanced Furman conditioner.
I have what I consider to be decent power with zero problems. But as the meter shows everything matters and yes the reduction of emi from 600 down to 42 is audible.

:thumbsup:
 
And most likely, the source(s) of the noise are in your home!
Possible but more than likely not. These reading were taken with nothing running on the noisiest circuit which has solid core wire and it doesn't make any difference in the readings if something noisy is running on a nearby circuit. Led dimmers and newer fluorescent fixtures are terribly noisy and they were all shut off. 5-600 is average line noise on solid core line while I've never seen over 125 on the 3 circuits that have multistrand wires. This tells me the wiring is making the improvement, Normally I get my lowest readings during the middle of the day which I think may be due to the power provider switching to cleaner form of power; possibly solar.
 
^^^^^^So far the newer fluorescent lights (small transformers) are by far the biggest offenders.They will go well over the 1000 mark. The older ones with the heavy and better shielded transformers add little to none. Wifi makes no difference and dimmers on leds will hit 800 if the switch is on it's highest setting. This meter has given me lots of surprises in the past month I've had it. I always thought tightly coiling a cord would add emi; the meter says no it doesn't.
 
Back
Top Bottom