• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 2230 Transformer

I use the ESR70 for checking capacitance.
I don't know how good the MESR-100 is. I also have a cheap capacitance tester that I used before I got the ES70.
What equipment do you currently have? Only the Blue Point DMM and Astro?

1790122942330.png
1790123069191.png
 
I use the ESR70 for checking capacitance.
I don't know how good the MESR-100 is. I also have a cheap capacitance tester that I used before I got the ES70.
What equipment do you currently have? Only the Blue Point DMM and Astro?

View attachment 3841946
View attachment 3841948
Yes just the 2 Dmm’s. And I made a dim bulb tester. Does the Esr70 check capacitance while there in circuit? I haven’t went back to testing the Marantz yet however I did pickup a Sony Str-v2 on the weekend with a distorting right channel and a few bulbs out. I just managed to narrow down the right channel issue to a bad solder joint at one of the output transistors. I know it’s a low end receiver but good practice anyway lol it actually sounds pretty good, surprisingly nice phone stage although I’m not a Audiophile by any means lol
 
Does the Esr70 check capacitance while there in circuit?
Yes it does (when it can). Here are the instructions from the manual. (not affiliated with the seller)
The other piece of useful test equipment is an oscilloscope, but you have to learn how to use it, and a transistor tester.

1790134663479.png1790134210031.png

1790134270526.png1790134312653.png

1790134336061.png1790134434705.png
 
Yes it does (when it can). Here are the instructions from the manual. (not affiliated with the seller)
The other piece of useful test equipment is an oscilloscope, but you have to learn how to use it, and a transistor tester.

View attachment 3842093View attachment 3842076

View attachment 3842079View attachment 3842080

View attachment 3842081View attachment 3842083
Ok great thanks, just ordered a Esr 70, any recommendations for a transitor tester? And what’s the benefit of a transistor tester over a Dmm?
 
You should have asked before you placed the order. You could have added this.
I actually use a cheap Chinese tester from Amazon.
(not affiliated with any seller)

1790174291113.png
1790174428404.png
 
Hey, I’m back to 2230 again. I’ve got the best 70 and so far checked all caps on the p800 board, they were ok. What do you think about me pulling both p750 boards next and check all the components on them next?
 
Did you get a transistor tester?
Otherwise, you can use the diode test function of your DMM. (see procedure below)

View attachment 3843198
View attachment 3843199
View attachment 3843200
Test Transistor With A Multimeter | Step-By-Step Guide
Thanks again for all this help, I haven’t got a transitor tester yet no. I did however pull both p750 boards and found an open c754 cap on the left side and on the right side found that both c754 and c755 caps have decent uf readings but 33 ohms Esr resistance. Think we’re onto something, you?
 
Thanks again for all this help, I haven’t got a transitor tester yet no. I did however pull both p750 boards and found an open c754 cap on the left side and on the right side found that both c754 and c755 caps have decent uf readings but 33 ohms Esr resistance. Think we’re onto something, you?
Unless these readings are due to the caps still being on the board? But the c754 on the left had good readings all together.
 
The left channel had one good cap and one that read open, turns out the open one had a leg broken off, the right channel had two at 33 ohms, but I’ll unsolder one leg of those and retest.
 
The left channel had one good cap and one that read open, turns out the open one had a leg broken off, the right channel had two at 33 ohms, but I’ll unsolder one leg of those and retest.
Hey, I unsoldered all 4 and 1 out of the 4 47uf caps are ok lol 2 are open 1 due to one of the legs broken (almost looks corroded off) I’ll attach a pic, and the 4th is reading 33ohms.
 
Put together a list of parts that you need, then order them at the same time from Digikey or Mouser to save on shipping.
 
I used to use various Nichicon and Elna Silmic II for audio circuits, but now the selection has shrunk down, some say Panasonic are good but I haven't used them myself.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom