• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

MC2105 auto former

Try this e mail address. I have no idea, if it is still valid. (This came from Terry Dewick):
Gary xfrmrs@roadrunner.com
The Audio Autoformer is a totally different animal. Just wait for a unit on Ebay. It could be tomorrow or years from now.
Or you can skin the cat then take the proceed and get another one.
Any guess what an otherwise well cared for and cosmetically very good unit would be worth? I’ve had it decades.
 
You may want to check with Mercury Magnetics in California, they did a transformer for my 110z, and did a great job.
I’ve been told that the cost would exceed the value of my amplifier. I can’t quite figure that out. I did speak to MM…they wouldn’t give me a price but said it would be many months to get it done .
 
That's tough.

Maybe if you set a search on evilbay it will notify you when someone lists one, about all I can offer.
 
I read the description of the amp and it says that it’s already been stripped of many parts and the only guidance as to whether it has what I need still is to look at the photos. I’m not experienced enough to identify whether there is an autoformer on it still. If there is, I will most certainly buy it.
 
It does look like one autoformer is missing already. Who the heck trashes such a nice amp?
It sounds like it had been in an attic for decades maybe after someone passed away. I don’t understand how or when the stripping of parts happened. The guy who has it appears to be a “picker”. Maybe he’s been the one pulling the parts off of it and selling those separately but doesn’t want to admit it. Impossible to know.
 
It does look like one autoformer is missing already. Who the heck trashes such a nice amp?
I’ve already reached out to AC to see if they can advise as to whether they can tell if the autoformer shown is likely to be worth it. I so desperately want to save my amp…had it for decades.
 
It has one autoformer as pictured, no indication of state of functionality. It may have been parted out before when these were just another old amp.
The present price is attractive as a gamble on function vs availability, bid what an unknown cdx replacement autoformer is worth to you to complete your amp, plus a "regret margin" to cover losing out to a petty outbid. You can always part it out for spares and sales.
Good luck!
 
Last edited:
Any guess what an otherwise well cared for and cosmetically very good unit would be worth? I’ve had it decades.
Hard to say, some revere these first gen Mac transistor amps, others regard them as the first step into their evolving solid state design era.
Offhand, I'd peg yours ca 1.2-2.0 k complete and working, otherwise as described cdx. Check AC listings for present price range vs cdx.
 
Hard to say, some revere these first gen Mac transistor amps, others regard them as the first step into their evolving solid state design era.
Offhand, I'd peg yours ca 1.2-2.0 k complete and working, otherwise as described cdx. Check AC for present price range vs cdx.
Big help. Thanks. I was guesstimating 1.5k. Good guess maybe.
 
It has one autoformer as pictured, no indication of state of functionality. It may have been parted out before when these were just another old amp.
The price is attractive as a gamble on function vs availability, bid what an unknown cdx replacement autoformer is worth to you to complete your amp, plus a "regret margin" to cover losing out to a petty outbid. You can always part it out for spares and sales.
Good luck!
Exactly my thoughts and will be my approach. Thanks very much..learning as I go on all of it…a confirmation of bits of this is very helpful and kind.
 
I am told it is shorted
A shorted autoformer makes me think a faulty output section is likely, this will necessitate an experienced professional grade rebuild when a replacement becomes available to restore original performance and. reliability
 
I’ll confirm Audio Classics has checked that once we get the autoformer. Chasing the one in the parts only amp now. Fingers crossed. Thanks very much for the info.
 
I’ve just zoomed into the photos and it does have an autoformer. I’m not experienced at winning eBay auctions but I’ll take an aggressive run at it
A really,really beat, but complete 2100 (with the power cord cut off) went for $480, the other other day.
 
Back
Top Bottom