• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

MC2505 serial number - mfg date?

Bill S

Thread Killer
Anyone hazard a guess as to what year my MC2505 might have been manufactured? Serial number is AT1449.
Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
Anyone hazard a guess as to what year my MC2505 might have been manufactured? Serial number is AT1449.

You have a serial number? Good thing.. mine is gone, and the schematic didn't match. Previous owner must have wiped it with solvent.


-Gregory
 
The following was a response from dshoaf I had gotten for the same question I had once posted:

According to the archives here at AK, this has been discussed a number of times. The upshot is that detailed production notes are not available by serial number. There are some lists floating around, some posted here, that detail how long, how many were made and serial number ranges. This allows one to interpolate relative age and similar positioning.

Since Mac made production changes on the fly while the production lines were running, some additional hints can be gleaned from reading through the Service Bulletins for a specific model if they can all be assembled together.

For example, from Service Bulletins for the MX-110, I have been able to figure out whether certain updates have been factory installed. Then, from the date of the bulletin's issue, I can figure out roughly when a specific model was produced. Not all models are that well documented, though.

Might want to spend some time tripping through old posts here, for sure.

Cheers,

David
 
Last edited:
MC2505 serial number

Hello Gregory

1) I will probably give you an information that probably a few people know .....
2) ALL Mc Intosh chassis are stamped with their own "manufacturing number"
3) if you take a look to my example there is one "chassis" number ( for all MCINTOSH products) and one serial number . My picture show these both numbers for the same unit .
4) The factory and only the factory, own the cross list and can tell you what serial number has your amplifier if you give them the chassis number .
An erased serial number can be recovered by this manner .
5) I don't know if the factory can answer today for the very old unit like MC2505
6) GREGORY , if you want to find the serial number of your MC2505 watch carefully inside your amplifier to see if there is any stamp somewhere (like in my picture)
I can't believe that your number disapear on both sides !
I work on MCINTOSH products since +30 years and had a chance to speak (eye to eye) with many important people at the factory ....
MC INTOSH stay my favorite brand :banana:
 
Last edited:
I have a MC2500 that was a special run and McIntosh has no record of having made it. Similarly, I have two Skil air drills that Skil has no record of making either. How special was this run of MC2500 amps? I have no idea. Not sure if one or 10,000 were made. Probably somewhere in the 2-20 range. Not many people want to pump 1000+ watts into a transducer that is being pulled by a boat or ship.
 
Last edited:
Production notes give AT1001 (Apr 74) to AT3424 (Dec 77), giving your production date some time in late 76...
 
Thanks Terry! I was pretty sure it was a later model based on the caps that were installed. This confirms it. I've gone through it and replaced all of them except for the multi caps and large filter caps. Had it playing for 6 hours or so and it sounds great and runs cool. Can't wait for the new glass to get here!
 
Back
Top Bottom