• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

McIntosh MC275 MK VI Clone

.

True but the MC275 was $4500 in 2009, and is $6500 now.

Everything has gone up dramatically over the past year. Used cars for example have gone up 40% over the last 12 months which is roughly the same percentage increase as an MC275 over the last 13 years. I cannot see that as gouging.
 
I have one like the one on the right. :D If I had wanted a real Dynaco ST-70, I would have bought one and restored it.
I have examples of the original, and two custom build versions of the Mullard adaptations. I use the Mullards after upgrade resto of the original Laurent as my covid project.
 
I`m curious on the reason to purchase the original manufacture amp`s logo to install on the clone ?
What would be the justifiable purpose of deceptively installing the OEM`s badge on the clone other than possibly to fool an stereo savvy visitor who might be shown it in the OP`s house ?
No Ya or Na opinion either way.
Don`t get pissy, as my intention is not to challenge you!
Just my curious nature..

BTW. FWIW, I own and use (4) Mc. MC-275 LEs in my living room`s HT tri-amplified setup system that have provided flawless service in SQ, and reliability for around 12 yrs. and still going strong with the original factory tubes.
 
I`m curious on the reason to purchase the original manufacture amp`s logo to install on the clone ?
What would be the justifiable purpose of deceptively installing the OEM`s badge on the clone other than possibly to fool an stereo savvy visitor who might be shown it in the OP`s house ?
No Ya or Na opinion either way.
Don`t get pissy, as my intention is not to challenge you!
Just my curious nature..

BTW. FWIW, I own and use (4) Mc. MC-275 LEs in my living room`s HT tri-amplified setup system that have provided flawless service in SQ, and reliability for around 12 yrs. and still going strong with the original factory tubes.
The name plate was purchased to Validate my overall perception to those who stand by their Brand...It's the McIntosh Loyalist that would have a "Strong Opinion". Since I am a Luxman guy...I "Don`t get pissy" as my nature is not to challenge anyone's
decision (maybe on Recapping gear with certain Caps)...It was "Just my curious nature" to buy this unit. As with visitors...If I said McIntosh they would be looking for a PC or Tablet...Now when I bring this to my Local audio shop the owner will take a 2nd look and
from the badge will figure it out. I will be reporting on this Demo around 2-3 weeks...need around 200hrs since my New tubes from Jim McShane should arrive Friday or Saturday.
 
The name plate was purchased to Validate my overall perception to those who stand by their Brand...It's the McIntosh Loyalist that would have a "Strong Opinion". Since I am a Luxman guy...I "Don`t get pissy" as my nature is not to challenge anyone's
decision (maybe on Recapping gear with certain Caps)...It was "Just my curious nature" to buy this unit. As with visitors...If I said McIntosh they would be looking for a PC or Tablet...Now when I bring this to my Local audio shop the owner will take a 2nd look and
from the badge will figure it out. I will be reporting on this Demo around 2-3 weeks...need around 200hrs since my New tubes from Jim McShane should arrive Friday or Saturday.

And it proves the holes line up :)
 
The name plate was purchased to Validate my overall perception to those who stand by their Brand...It's the McIntosh Loyalist that would have a "Strong Opinion". Since I am a Luxman guy...I "Don`t get pissy" as my nature is not to challenge anyone's
decision (maybe on Recapping gear with certain Caps)...It was "Just my curious nature" to buy this unit. As with visitors...If I said McIntosh they would be looking for a PC or Tablet...Now when I bring this to my Local audio shop the owner will take a 2nd look and
from the badge will figure it out. I will be reporting on this Demo around 2-3 weeks...need around 200hrs since my New tubes from Jim McShane should arrive Friday or Saturday.

Very well then, CohibaJoe, whatever, I never challenged, nor was critical of your purchase of the MC-275 clone !!

While I own some Mc. stereo gear, including some of their very nice sounding speakers, but "I`m not known to be an undying fan boy" of any of their products, and have even been known in the presence of others to refer to their company`s name as "McInsuck"!

I`ll be interested in the judgement of amp`s internal build quality with pictures, if can be provided, and any listening SQ results when you decide to post them.

Enjoy the amp, Sir.
 
I honestly don't think McIntosh is going to lose any sales on their amplifier. The 2 concerns that I have are about biasing and the fact that build quality may be wildly variable between 2 samples.
 
Let's sufffice to say that as someone who lived in Hong Kong and worked in HK and China I would not touch anything with a barge pole that has not been made under close supervision and has gone through thorough (i.e. 100%) QC by a western company.

'nough said.

Agreed. I was involved with a project that was to manufacture medical imaging systems in China (spearheaded by a very well known top-tier player in the medical electronics field) in order to make an affordable alternative for less affluent countries. What a bloody fiasco....
 
Same as McIntosh.
And the number of OT primary wires matches the unity coupling design, so ignoring the OT plate, this is not a UL design, so most likely a UC OT.
So far it sounds promising. Hopefully we can see soon some bench results, at least.
 
Interesting clone. It would have been far more intriguing if they had used point-to-point wiring with tag boards like the original, and to an extent, the 1993 reissue. The Chinese are certainly capable of doing decent traditional wiring, as Primaluna and others have demonstrated...
 
Last edited:
444 in 1971 adjusted for inflation is 3110 today
4500 in 2009 adjusted is 5968
So McIntosh is padding the price to be able to supply new products and such. They do seem to support old products better than most manufacturers.

I have never seen any screeches of Foul Play or demands a thread be removed for other cloned gear. There are a number of folks that have the cloned EAR 834P phono amp and other gear with no discussions of removing those threads.
 
Last edited:
I would be interested in compairing the internals of the clone with an actual McIntosh MK VI. What I have seen of the internals of the clone look pretty darned good; nice boards, good layout and tidy wiring. Based on that alone, I believe it will all come down to the OPT windings and quality of the lamination metal used. Some bench tests might prove interesting.
 
Back
Top Bottom