• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Miles Davis & AR-3a

cspyon

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I've always been wondering about this picture of Miles Davis posing with AR-3a speakers. Was it part of AR's PR ads, or was Miles really a fan of AR-3a? I hear these vintage speakers are good for jazz, so I'm curious. Any idea?
Screenshot_20250215_171723_Chrome.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
I've always been wondering about this picture of Miles Davis posing with AR-3a speakers. Was it part of AR's PR ads, or was Miles really a fan of AR-3a?

I would think so as I doubt Miles let AR use his likeness in an add without his consent as to if he was really a fan who knows.

Fwiw,

Other jazz artists did ad's for AR

Louis Armstrong

Screen Shot 2025-02-15 at 9.30.27 PM.png

Don Ellis

Screen Shot 2025-02-15 at 9.32.47 PM.png

Woody Herman

Screen Shot 2025-02-15 at 9.33.41 PM.png
 
^ I would think they did

See link below (Paragraph 8)

 
Davis and Woody Herman liked AR speakers? With the way they have them positioned on the floor they must have liked bloated bass and muted highs.
 
These are only advertising photos - these speakers cannot be listened to when they are placed on the floor - they must be a meter from the floor.
 
Nothing to add about the connection between Miles Davis and AR, but he was probably spending more time listening to stage- and studio monitors than to whatever he had at home.
 
I don’t know this as fact but I would guess these types of ads were done mostly for the $$. I don’t think jazz musicians of that era were rolling in dough.
 
I would think that all of them were compensated for their ads, though I think the easiest system to prove would be the Louis Armstrong ad, since they have one of his stereo systems on display in Queens. He pretty famously used Tandberg and Philips tape decks, which are in that photo.
 
Back
Top Bottom