• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Modelers Corner

What happened to this thread? Any way I think I have too many tanks:rflmao::rflmao::rflmao::rflmao:

View attachment 3575454View attachment 3575455
Summertime. I'm amazed and pleasantly surprised that there has been 77 pages. The Northrop YB 49 is one I'm looking forward to building probably sometime in October.

54358795249_91a219c7f4_c.jpg
 
and a shot after during a battle it's driver backed rather fast into a house and knocked it's mud flap and bucket off:rflmao: tig brd.jpgAlso a shot of some of our club field. It's big so a large chunk is missing unfortunately from the image but just to give an idea of what we battle on
IMG_9233.jpg
 
A few pics of my Torro 1/16 RC Sd. Kfz 251. I think these are just as iconic a WW2 German AFV as a Tiger or Panzer IV. Nowhere near finished but with the season winding down quickly I wanted a few shots. Have an absolute master figure painter doing a crew of Panzergrenadiers for it. Also need to repair that crack above the tow hitch that I didn't see until looking at the pic and add spare wheels, jerry cans, a better machine gun, grenade cases etc

2512.jpg2514.jpg2515.jpg
 
Started on the North American YB-49 flying wing. My much abused Master G233 airbrush is showing it's age but still working. It's cheap easy to clean takes abuse and paint's much better than it's cheap price would leave you to believe. Forgot to clean it months ago after using it. Needle was frozen and dried paint in the cup. Had it up and running in 15 minutes but it's showing it's age.

Started looking at new airbrushes and one from Harbor Freight kept popping up. A few years back had looked at HB's offerings and they were cheap and sucked. Bought a Iwata Neo instead which worked well when new but cleaning it was an ordeal, just not very robust. Even tried a German brush and it was a lot like the Iwata, finicky. Liked the Master G233 better than any of the more expensive brushes but I was ready to try something new.

Back to the the HB brush. The name is Black Widow with several models available. All the reviews even from some well known airbrushers were very positive in both use and maintenance. Hit HB and picked one up. First look impression was that it's a great looking and solid piece of kit with nice features. The screw under the bowl lets you adjust the air flow which is very handy. Has an adjustable needle stop that lets you select paint volume making it handy especially for large areas where a constant flow makes for better results. The trigger is the best yet of the brushes I've tried. Came with .3 & .2 needles. It is twice the cost of the Master. Now if it will stands the test of time.

54892790711_6a14704700_c.jpg


54892789836_8ded72e410_c.jpg
 
Last edited:
Here's the YB-49 under construction. What it lacks in detail it makes up for in size. 30" wing span which makes it awkward to do the finishing details. You have to take it one part at a time because parts are so large and difficult to get aligned so everything needs to glued, taped in place and given time to dry completely.

54899336493_8663fbfa77_c.jpg
 
Here's the YB-49 under construction. What it lacks in detail it makes up for in size. 30" wing span which makes it awkward to do the finishing details. You have to take it one part at a time because parts are so large and difficult to get aligned so everything needs to glued, taped in place and given time to dry completely.

54899336493_8663fbfa77_c.jpg
Looking forward to the finished product!

Very cool!
 
YB-49 is cool. I built a XB-70 model when I was a kid (I saw one of the two actually built at an air show in Ohio in the 60s). But, being a numb ass kid, shot it up & destroyed it!
We all use to do that as kids. We hung airplanes from the beams of the basement and used a cheap low power Daisy. Had fun doing it. I couldn't keep a model in one piece with twin 5 year younger little brothers. All they got their hands on were destroyed.
 
51965637174_17d3e4ae8d_c.jpg

Nice job. Here's my version.
I had a trivial question. There is a DAK "palm tree" logo and also what looks like a 24.PD "prancing horse" one. I haven't seen any articles on 24.PD in Africa. This doesn't distract from the great job on that kit! Just a modeler/historian dude being anal.



images
 
51965637174_17d3e4ae8d_c.jpg


I had a trivial question. There is a DAK "palm tree" logo and also what looks like a 24.PD "prancing horse" one. I haven't seen any articles on 24.PD in Africa. This doesn't distract from the great job on that kit! Just a modeler/historian dude being anal.



images
Thanks I thought it came out really nice. I belong to a modelers group where the sticklers for authenticity are waiting in the wings to pounce. I'm not one of them. I put that decal on just because I liked it and it needed something to breakup that long panel. You'll catch discrepancies on a lot of my models if your looking for them.
 
Thanks I thought it came out really nice. I belong to a modelers group where the sticklers for authenticity are waiting in the wings to pounce. I'm not one of them. I put that decal on just because I liked it. You'll catch discrepancies on a lot of my models if your looking for them.
Hey, like I said, it's all cool to me.

NOW, as you know... Modelers can be 1 million times more anal retentive than the most OCD audiophile. The battles on those sites are truly epic.
 
I love the look of these, but it's not the hobby for me.
(From an analog electronics engineer whose designs were expected to come off the assembly line working just fine with 10% tolerance parts - that's what the customer controls were for. Being anal was not productive, although you would do worst case and monte carlo studies.)
 
Back
Top Bottom