• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Monument Valley

It's a rock ridge that goes up at like a 75 degree angle at times, & is just wide enuff to get-Or try to-get a 4X4 up & then back down. There are a few scary, if magnificent videos of people doing that on Utube...
 
It's a rock ridge that goes up at like a 75 degree angle at times, & is just wide enuff to get-Or try to-get a 4X4 up & then back down. There are a few scary, if magnificent videos of people doing that on Utube...

Hmmmm....can you post the link? It seems unlikely to me that this is where it is as the Navajo take their land pretty seriously and I doubt that they, knowingly, would allow this.
 
Well, they don't let people try it anymore...Several wrecks, people killed, & making a mess of a pristine area...Anyhow, Jesse, yr pics are simply outta this world...Come to NE Tenn, & I'll show what the world looks like in "Green"...(grin)
 
Well, they don't let people try it anymore...Several wrecks, people killed, & making a mess of a pristine area...Anyhow, Jesse, yr pics are simply outta this world...Come to NE Tenn, & I'll show what the world looks like in "Green"...(grin)

Maybe someday I will, Sandy. Arizona has such a diverse landscape I find that there is still so much more for me and my cameras to explore. The weather was fantastic in Monument Valley this past weekend. It could not have been much better and then I had to come back to the valley of the scorching heat. :D
 
Impressive shots as always.

You know I love black and white. But with the colors of the rock outcroppings in your later post I'm wondering why you didn't go with color on all of them?

Just a question and in no way a criticism.
 
Impressive shots as always.

You know I love black and white. But with the colors of the rock outcroppings in your later post I'm wondering why you didn't go with color on all of them?

Just a question and in no way a criticism.

No criticism taken. Quite simply, I have always been a black and white kind of guy and I will be posting more color shots as I go. No doubt there are many things that color really sets off the image but black and white often tends to evoke different moods and feelings that I don't always get from color. Monument Valley is one of the few places that I go back to in which I can make both work for me.
 
Left Mitten at sunset.

LeftMittenVerticalatSunset.jpg
 
Those shots really look great Jesse! The one from north window especcially. With how often I find myself up there in Monument Valley I REALLY need to dig out my camera and get back into it. :yes:
 
Those shots really look great Jesse! The one from north window especcially. With how often I find myself up there in Monument Valley I REALLY need to dig out my camera and get back into it. :yes:

Thanks, Anthony. I hope to make another trip up there with you again sometime. The spirit of the land got my photographic juices flowing again. I can't tell you how much I needed it. Monument Valley has always been a very special place for my spirit and soul.
 
Here's a color shot from a series of sunset images.

attachment.php

You nailed this one Jess! Great image capture. You caught the light just right on this one. I like the way the desert floor is in the shadows and the higher formations are high lighted by the sunlight. I also like the way the light between the two formations is shaped like arrow, leading the viewer into the picture. This is color keeper you should have it enlarged and framed. :thmbsp:
 
You nailed this one Jess! Great image capture. You caught the light just right on this one. I like the way the desert floor is in the shadows and the higher formations are high lighted by the sunlight. I also like the way the light between the two formations is shaped like arrow, leading the viewer into the picture. This is color keeper you should have it enlarged and framed. :thmbsp:

Thanks, Will. These images I am posting are just a pre-cursor to my plans to make prints. Here is one that started as a color but because of the heavy clouds and the sun's inability to blast through I removed what little color there was and produced this. The tones and softer contrast create a very moody feeling that I like and is the reason I like this image as well.

EarlyMorning.jpg
 
.....Jess, these shots of yours show your love of photography, and the depths to which you are able to take it....Excellent shots, you hang onto a camera very well....did you use auto white-balance on this one?.....

LeftMittenVerticalatSunset.jpg
 
.....Jess, these shots of yours show your love of photography, and the depths to which you are able to take it....Excellent shots, you hang onto a camera very well....did you use auto white-balance on this one?.....


Yes. I also shot almost all in manual mode as I like to tweek the exposures as the lighting in Monument Valley can get a little tricky. No lens filters were used as almost of my filters are designed to fit my 4x5 camera lenses and I did not have the appropriate step-down rings with me at the time.
 
Thanks onepixel. I'm glad you like it. Here is another I tinkered with before I need to hit the sack. Interesting note, the posted image doesn't seem to quite represent the image tones I thought I created in Photoshop and what I now see. But I think you will get the idea. I will be posting some color shots as well.

Exposure: 1/160 @f9, ISO 100 Nikon D200


attachment.php

Great photos! I think I like this one better than the first. Nice composition!
 
Back
Top Bottom