• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Monument Valley

.....are you saying they could have been better???....mercy.....

No, not necessarily, but maybe. I have never really been a big fan of using filters and I don't keep filters on my lenses. Not even haze or UV filters. I do use polarizers from time to time and I do like using filters for my black and white landscapes (yellow, orange, green, and red) when I shoot with film with my 4x5 or medium format.

Merrick Butte

MerrickButte.jpg
 
As I am sure you know, this image was heavily cropped from the original because I already knew from the moment I made the exposure that I was going to modify the actual scene my camera captured.

I am sure that he, myself, and others are dying to know what the original shot looked like. Would it be possible to post it to get a sense of your "pre visualizing" it? :yes:


I know I give a lot of praise of photos on AK, maybe too much to the point it becomes diluted. But this one, this one is by far the best I have seen in a long time of Monument Valley. I simply love it for the fact that every other photo shot there always employs clear horizons usually with polarizers (which is not a bad thing mind you..) while this shot is the complete opposite. Cloudy, moody, a bit opaque and going against the grain of convention.


Can I get a big AMEN.

(in response) Amen Brother!
 
I am sure that he, myself, and others are dying to know what the original shot looked like. Would it be possible to post it to get a sense of your "pre visualizing" it? :yes:

Here you go, Echosphere. The original scene as made through my Nikon D200, tripod mounted.


The modified image:
NorthWindowPan.jpg


The original image:
NorthWindow-1.jpg
 
I know I give a lot of praise of photos on AK, maybe too much to the point it becomes diluted. But this one, this one is by far the best I have seen in a long time of Monument Valley. I simply love it for the fact that every other photo shot there always employs clear horizons usually with polarizers (which is not a bad thing mind you..) while this shot is the complete opposite. Cloudy, moody, a bit opaque and going against the grain of convention.




(in response) Amen Brother!

EarlyMorning.jpg


I'm glad you liked this image as I do, Echosphere. HHamlet asked why "black & white" over the color palette ? Well, this is exactly why. As I stated before, the black and white image often conveys a mood or a feeling that the same scene in color may not always produce for me. I have been photographing mostly in black and white for over 30 years and I usually have no trouble "seeing" my subject matter in black and white. However, there are times when the color image will only suffice and I know when to yield to the color palette. However, it usually does not stop me from thinking otherwise. :D
 
Well, this is exactly why. As I stated before, the black and white image often conveys a mood or a feeling that the same scene in color may not always produce for me.

Well for us Midwesterners your color versions are a treat. Coming from corn fields and cow pastures those orange and red vistas are kind of mind boggling.


:thmbsp:
 
Well for us Midwesterners your color versions are a treat. Coming from corn fields and cow pastures those orange and red vistas are kind of mind boggling.


:thmbsp:

Yep, I know what you mean. I have been to the midwest where there is not much color but green. Green everywhere. :D
 
I want those last three prints on my wall.

I usually don't swear out loud... But when I saw those. Oh my.
Thank you Pioneervato for sharing those. PM sent.

If you have a minute could you give us some specs and background on them?

Cheers
 
Last edited:
I want those last three prints on my wall.

I usually don't swear out loud... But when I saw those. Oh my.
Thank you Pioneervato for sharing those. PM sent.

If you have a minute could you give us some specs and background on them?

Cheers

Here you go. All shot with Nikon D200

Exposure: 1/250 @ f9, ISO 100, Lens focal length @ 40mm
ThunderStormBWMonumentValley4x7.jpg


Exposure: 1/400 @ f9, ISO 100, Lens focal length @ 18mm
TheButtesrevised4x7.jpg


Exposure: 1/10 sec @ f9, ISO 100, Lens focal length @ 60mm

EarlyMorningresized.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom