• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Monument Valley

Here you go. All shot with Nikon D200
Exposure: 1/400 @ f9, ISO 100, Lens focal length @ 18mm
TheButtesrevised4x7.jpg
I would love a signed print of this one.
 
Here you go. All shot with Nikon D200

Exposure: 1/250 @ f9, ISO 100, Lens focal length @ 40mm
ThunderStormBWMonumentValley4x7.jpg


Exposure: 1/400 @ f9, ISO 100, Lens focal length @ 18mm
TheButtesrevised4x7.jpg
.....Jess, I'd love to have these two in B&W, and could you post the color versions fairly big?.....
 

That's cool, Tom. Thanks for posting those. Did you notice the shadow directly under the cowboy in the first shot? Hollywood used to use a dark blue filter on the camera lenses during daylight shooting to simulate "night time" shots. As a kid, I always use to wonder why so many of the older movies showed strong shadows at night. Now I know why. :D
 
.....Jess, I'd love to have these two in B&W, and could you post the color versions fairly big?.....


Here you go, mulester. The original color shots with just some very minor color and exposure tweaking and not to be considered as final modifications by any means.

attachment.php



attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Buttes and Distant Rain.jpg
    Buttes and Distant Rain.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 98
  • Thunder Clouds and Buttes.jpg
    Thunder Clouds and Buttes.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 99
I felt that the contrast in the rocks in the color shots is rather dull compared to the b&w, so hope you don't mind that I did some experimenting. In Photoshop, converted to Lab mode and did a curves adjustment on L (lightness) only.
 

Attachments

  • mod via Lab.jpg
    mod via Lab.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 22
I felt that the contrast in the rocks in the color shots is rather dull compared to the b&w, so hope you don't mind that I did some experimenting. In Photoshop, converted to Lab mode and did a curves adjustment on L (lightness) only.

That has a weird Technicolor look to it. I like it. :thmbsp:
 
Here you go. All shot with Nikon D200

Exposure: 1/250 @ f9, ISO 100, Lens focal length @ 40mm
ThunderStormBWMonumentValley4x7.jpg


Exposure: 1/400 @ f9, ISO 100, Lens focal length @ 18mm
TheButtesrevised4x7.jpg


Exposure: 1/10 sec @ f9, ISO 100, Lens focal length @ 60mm

EarlyMorningresized.jpg


Ordered them in 11x14.

SCORE!


haaaaa.gif
 
Last edited:
That's cool, Tom. Thanks for posting those. Did you notice the shadow directly under the cowboy in the first shot? Hollywood used to use a dark blue filter on the camera lenses during daylight shooting to simulate "night time" shots. As a kid, I always use to wonder why so many of the older movies showed strong shadows at night. Now I know why. :D


Yeah, they called that "day for night".

John Ford's photographer on The Searchers was Winton Hoch who had worked at Technicolor during the development of the the three strip process. Ford also used Hoch on She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (also shot in Monument Valley and a picture for which Hoch won the Oscar), The Quiet Man, 3 Godfathers and Mr. Roberts. In an interview with Peter Bogdanovich Ford referred to Hoch as a "pedantic cameraman".

Ford used photographers of great talent--Bert Glennon, Hoch, Joe MacDonald, Gregg Toland, Arthur Miller and Bill Clothier among others.

Clothier told the story of how he told Ford they shoot shoot The Man who Shot Liberty Valance in color but Ford disagreed and said the pessimistic story and it's town setting would work best in black and white. Ford was also thinking of the 1920s and the great influence German expressionism had on him. After the picture was finished Clothier said Ford was totally correct.

more148.jpg

more184.jpg
 
Here you go. All shot with Nikon D200

Exposure: 1/250 @ f9, ISO 100, Lens focal length @ 40mm
ThunderStormBWMonumentValley4x7.jpg


Exposure: 1/400 @ f9, ISO 100, Lens focal length @ 18mm
TheButtesrevised4x7.jpg


Exposure: 1/10 sec @ f9, ISO 100, Lens focal length @ 60mm

EarlyMorningresized.jpg

Got the 3 prints in the mail from PiooneerVato in 11x14 size.

Great prints! Wonderful tones!

Our favorite is Distant Rain, the first one at the top. The print has a wonderful silvery mid tones to it that just stands out.

Thank you Jess!!! :)
 
I am glad you like them, Scott. If you want, I can send you the 4x5 mini-prints sans text with or without the tech data?
 
That would be great! Sans text, but with tech data. We'll just mat over it.

Let me know if you want a couple more bones for this!

Cheers!
 
Btw, you'll like this!

I have an Ansel Adams calendar at work. Today, one of my co-workers who's into stereos but doesn't know much about photography came over while I was on this thread and goes "Thats cool. I didn't know he made calendars." :thmbsp:
 
Just got back from another trip to Monument Valley with marantzfan. Here is one I have been working on.


attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Soft Edge Border 72dpi.jpg
    Soft Edge Border 72dpi.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 68
On this last trip to Monument Valley, I got some pretty cool sunrise pictures with my new Canon T1i. Maybe next time me and Jesse get up there we might see some snow.

EDIT: Wow those sure darkened and the colors arent near as vivid when I converted them from RAW format into JPEGs.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0136.jpg
    IMG_0136.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0148.jpg
    IMG_0148.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
EDIT: Wow those sure darkened and the colors arent near as vivid when I converted them from RAW format into JPEGs.

?? If you see it in a raw converter program and then save as JPEG without further adjustment, the colors should look the same. Something wrong going on there.
 
Back
Top Bottom