• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Most Underrated/Overrated Component or Brand

I have owned my 9090db since 1977 and not one problem. I just acquired a 9000db it is a better receiver, but the sound of the 9090 is better. I can't understand why Kenwood is not at the top of the heap. My kr-9600 is super strong with a classic warm sound and an unbelievable tuner. Much better than my sui's. My one experience with marantz was with a marantz model Sr-something not the good stuff I threw in the trash can. Honestly!! As Bose I have a nice pair of model VI for sale with stands. My Altec model 19s will never be sold! I think most of the products from major manufacturers in the 70s were built with the companies heart and souls regardless of whether they were German, English, American or Japanese. I love them all.
 
only thing wrong i see about saying kenwood is that if you go thru the posts now, kenwood is always highly spoken of. You can still get some amps for a pretty decent price as opposed to the Pioneer amps, but they do not sneak in under the radar anymore.
 
most under rated AND over rated - Bose 901.
I say that the vast majority of people who criticize them have never even heard them. They have read what other "experts" have said and believe it makes them a knowledgeable person by parroting what they have read, with an ardent fervor unlike any I have ever seen.
Most over rated , which I understand in a way. Due to the VERY harsh criticism these speakers get, some owners swing the totally opposite direction and believe them to be the be all and end all of a great speaker system. I think they tend to lose their subjectivity after 1,000 people telling them they are a lousy speaker and they must be deaf if they like the sound.

I personally think they are a very nice speaker, IF someone takes the time to set them up correctly. One argument I do not quite understand is the stereo imaging. One of the most talked about points is how bad they are because they are direct reflecting, so no way they can give you an accurate representation of the source.
Yet, those very same people will rave and rave about a planar speaker, a magnepan for example, a dipole speaker.
Read any review about a dipole speaker, people will spend hours, even days correctly setting up their speaker, realizing that as much as one inch can make all the difference in the world.
Yet.................... will immediately slam a 901 because it too must be set up just as accurately ?
Sure more is reflecting then a dipole, and i also believe the vast majority of owners do not even set them up correctly - but given the right space and attention to detail - not the best speaker in the world, but sure is not bad....
oh, and i do not even own a pair - no dog in this fight except i get tired of hearing the abuse anyone who dares mention they like Bose gets.
heaven forbid someone likes something different then the masses
 
You know Donberry I dreamed of the day when I would own a pair 901s. My problem is that I first acquired my Altec Mod. 19s. I guess my home just don't fit the Bose or Vice Versa. I compared the Altecs to the Bose with different receivers. The Sansui 9090db and Altecs vs the Kenwood kr-9600 and Bose. I admit that I don't have the wall space for the Bose to reflect off. I suspect that there must be a combination of variables to get the Bose to perform up to potential. However they left me very under-welhmed and really disappointed. They are out of here equalizer, stands, cable and all.

By the way the Bose Acoustimass in my Yukon Denali are O.K. but I am not impressed with them either.
 
dennisdong - see, there is absolutely nothing wrong with your critique of them. You tried them, you did not care for them.
Problem I always see are the people who go on and on and on about how bad they are and will give you 10 different reasons why.
Someone will make a post about their 901's, saying how much they like them. Next thing you know, there are dozens of responses telling the guy they are crap speakers, basically telling him he does not know what good sound is.
Does not even have to be 901's, can be a Bose Wave radio.
Guys wife buys him a Bose radio as a present - I thought that was very thoughtful of her. Guy posts about it, proud of his wife taking the time and spending the money to get him something HE liked the sound of...
next thing you know, it is a Bose bashing thread , basically telling the guy his wife flushed the money down the toilet and he should get rid of it and buy something else......
Is why most people who own Bose (I do not myself) do not even like to talk about them, why go thru the abuse.
As for the 901's, now u tried them and did not like them, good enough for me. If someone asked abut buying a pair, a post like yours would be a good response. But if someone already has a pair and likes them, why even mention you do not (not saying you do that, just an example).

I honestly felt bad for the guy who posted about the Wave radio present. Fortunately he had a good sense of humor.

For some reason, all the good karma goes out the window if one dare mention he likes a Bose product, that is one of the few pieces of audio gear where it is cool to be judgmental, even if you have never heard a pair.
Guy can make a post about buying an old Emerson all in one unit and will get a bunch of responses saying how cool it looks, etc....
Guy makes a post about how much he likes his Bose 901's - forget about it, that is a long and wasted reading. If you happen to have a pair or have just recently got a pair and found out you really like them, best to just enjoy it alone as it is not worth the hassle to be happy publicly about it.
 
Overrated
Bose, other than a couple of amps built way back when, just not quality.
Sony, only the ES stuff seems to hold up.

Underated
Kyocera- mid 1980's stuff was terrific, especially while everybody else was making black panel space shuttle crap.
Kenwood 1970's- Equal to Pioneer with so many products, and much cheaper to buy now.
ADS: The L-x10 series was amazing stuff, the L-810's are a Hall of Fame speaker.
Polk original Monitor series: Terrific value for the sound quality, they blew the Infinity RS stuff right out of the water. I remember one dealer who watched his Infinity sales drop 80% once he brought in the Polk's (profit margin was the same).
Apt Holman preamp: Great budget unit, with a very uncolored sound.
Conrad-Johnson: Amazingly musical and damn near bullet-proof. Like McIntosh, the factory still has replacement parts for every piece from what I've heard.
 
Last edited:
Underrated?

Well.. I'm a very late add here, but I must say. I haven't heard the name Polk come up much here. I have recently come across a few pair of speakers that blew me away. Comparing to Cizek, Klipsch, Snell...Not fancy cabinets, not real anything, except the best support in the business and the sound. Some of the older monitors and that passive radiator thing they had going on just made me say wow. Not all were cheap, but at used prices a pair of 7B's with the Peerless tweeter has changed my thinking that looks is not everything.
 
Underrated: Early McIntosh SS amplifiers (250 and 2100). Some of the best sound on the market for the price. Not bad lookers either.

Overrated: Crown. Good, robust pro-gear, but nothing to get worked up about for home use, not worth the price premium unless you are gigging with it every night. Lots of better sounding SS equipment available for HiFi.
 
finally exposed the "Emperor's New Clothes" of Bose!

Finally exposed the "Emperor's New Clothes" of Bose! Other overrated stuff was the early budget audiophile darling, NAD, I owned 2 used in bridged configuration, any Yamaha would sound better way better build quality and not near as noisy . In fact I picked up a late 80's early 90's Sony Legato Link receiver and an Onkyo receiver, yeah the supposed bad years of audio, both sounded much better and were made better than the NAD. Also the AR turntable and amp -what a couple of hummers literally. IMHO much of the early 70's Pioneers (I owned SX-727, recently a SX 828), Kenwoods, looked pretty cool but sounded harsh, can't believe the prices people are willing to pay for a dashboard with out a sound. Also the early Phase Linear such as the 700 beautiful looking harsh sounding amp that the Dynaco 400 put to shame not to mention that the boring looking PAT-5 sounds better than the very Cool Phase Linear 4000 but the Hologram and the auto correllator of the 4000 is very cool. Most Japanese speakers from the 1970's exceptions being the Yamaha NS 1000 and beyond series, and the unheard of Pioneer TAD setup (don't know if it was around then) it's not cheap either. Most of the JBL's of that era are over rated (L-200 15" 2 way big box no bass, and loud honkin' midrange). . When I work in the Stereo department (1974) I would put a Dynaco A10 behind the foam grills of the Big 2 way L-200's and watch the cowboys and JBL snobs rock out or vivify vivaldi through the first great mini speaker, the Dynaco A10 hiding in the L200. Of course the ego damage was irreversible when the the grills were removed exposing the the little man out doing the great OZ. The L100's got a bring spot in the memory banks.
UNDERATED stuff: Teac cassette decks, built to last and the better models sound great with tons of features special for live recording. My family has a 1975 Teac 450 ($425 retail) top loading cassette deck that has been used for 35 years ( 15 years in a dusty wood shop with no heat or AC) though it doesn't sound like a Nak 1000, you can not find any Nak that can handle that with out repairs. The Dynaco line, but parcicularly the obscure A-35 and A10 Speaker. Special thanks to Dynaco for bringing afordible real HI-FI to working people.
Onkyo amps and receivers ( Oh WRAT oh crap! I let the secret out!) Some of the Kenwood TT , Philips Turntables.
And the most under rated underpriced and no long available in America audio product:
the obscure, made in Latvia, Baltic Speakers Models 30, 50 and 90 All with Xovers that would embarrass almost every speaker under $10,000, featuring Oil filled caps hi quality pots, great drivers and the cabinets as I recall are either 7 or 9 ply Baltic birch. I was a long time Kef owner and when the close-out priced at $100 a pair including shipping Baltic 50 (once broken in for 100 hours) sounded as good as my Kef Reference series 104ab's. I had to have a shot at the better 90's (about $600-700 retail pair but were sold much, much cheaper) it had better top and bottom than the Kef 104ab almost as good as that glorious Kef midrange, plus great imaging, easier to drive, from a tower wrapped in Mahogany veneer. Thank you Stan Warren (Super mod and the "S" of PS Audio fame) for the hot tip on the Baltic 30 i don't know if he ever got to hear or have the 90's. A $100 pair of Speakers send my $1400 great Kef's (last retail price of the 104ab's) out the door.
 
.


Overrated: That would be ANYTHING with Dr.Bose's name on it. From the $2,000 WAVE radio to his bassless crappy wall of sound 901's. If you can't beat em with brains, baffle em with bullshit. If Bob Carver could market like Bose he'd be Bill Gates by now.

Mike:D

Could not agree more. It comes as no suprise then to learn Bose is one of the biggest litigants in Hi Fi (or should I say music reproduction as Bose CANNOT qualify for Hifi).
 
I don't know about the equipment but I have heard great things about the PEOPLE at McIntosh......In the bar at AKFEST i learned that at least two of the McIntosh people were worthy of a punch in the throat. Absolutuely rude and arrogant. Some in every crowd I guess.
 
i think its more model specific... im sure theres good and bad in EVERY brand, i have seen somethink i like and dislike in most brands i have seen, i do like coming across sleepy underdogs - seen some nice mitsubishis - a sherwood etc, i think with the big brands ppl expect more and feel more let down if its not what they pre concieved it to be.
 
I have been buying and selling used vintage gear for a couple of years now and have to confess as to my affection for some of the mid fi lower wattage receivers and amplifiers. I recently picked up a mint condition Sansui 771, AU-999 Amp, Kenwood KR-3130, Sherwood S-8800 and they all do a very competent job when paired with the right set of speakers. I love the M-Series line of Dahlqluist which were designed by Carl Marchisotto of Alon and Nola Fame. Phase Tech 8.5's were pretty decent and I just picked up a set of MB Quart QL-1002s that are real sleepers. Have owned Canton Karat 60's, JBL L-15's, L26 Decades, L36 Decades, Bozak Symphonies, Dynaco A-25's, AR4x, AR3's and on and on. Had a Marantz 2285 B, Pioneer SX850, 950, and 1050. Currently in the line up is my Kenwood KA-9100 / KT-8300 Tuner which I absolutely love. I think if one has an opportunity to switch components in and out of their lineup they will have a better understanding of the word Synergy and will be more objective in their ability to distinguish the subtleties between the different systems. I know what sounds good to me and IMHO thats what this wonderful Hobby is all about.... :thmbsp: I have been very fortunate in that I haven't had to spend a lot of money in my quest of Nirvana. The Journey Continues.....The most overrated stuff in my opinion is the stuff that costs a lot of money and doesn't sound any better than some of the less expensive pieces. I have always been a fan of the underdogs of the world. Don't like snotty, conceited, Spoon Fed, Daddys Money type people either....And to close let me say that there isn't bad vintage audio equipment if it sounds good to YOUR ears....
 
Last edited:
Overrated
Sony, only the ES stuff seems to hold up.


My Sony SCD C2000 ES CDP stopped functioning in SACD mode within a month of the five year warranty expiring. It plays regular CD's just fine, but I think I'm going to sell it for $35. Good with trouble shooting?
 
Sony over rated b/c it does not hold up? I'm not experiencing problems with my vintage Sony units that is worse than my other units, even my McIntosh. Generalizing Sony reliability is dangerous as the company makes such a wide range of units to cover many market segments.
 
I can't believe how many of you say Marantz was overrated. They sound just as good as a lot of the best gear from the 70's but they also have a classy and timeless look to them. I, and many others are willing to pay a little extra for that. When I purchase high quality items I want them to not only perform well but look great! They are more collectible for that reason and command a higher price over the units that will forever belong in the 70's. Would you have purchased a ford pinto with a corvette engine??
 
Back
Top Bottom