• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Most Underrated/Overrated Component or Brand

I have a few nominations for under-rated brands ...

Sherwood made some great equipment, in both the tube and solid-state eras, that doesn't get the respect it deserves. Their tuners were especially good, and they made some fine receivers and tube amps as well. My S-5000 tube integrated amp (the 1958 model with the EL-84 outputs) is the best-sounding tube amp in my collection and one of the best I've heard anywhere.

Many of the Realistic receivers and amps from Radio Shack were solidly built and good-sounding. Foster (the parent company of Fostex) made quite a few of these models, though Tandy also bought from other Japanese majors such as Pioneer if it made business sense. Some of the Realistic tape decks were pretty good, too.

Heathkit's solid-state equipment doesn't get the respect that the company's tube gear has earned, and I don't understand why. The few Heath transistor components that have crossed my bench were very well engineered and built with quality parts. The sound quality was outstanding, too.
 
Altec, in both directions. Just depends on who you are asking...

huh.. I think this pretty much relates to most all brands..
 
I think you need to limit "vintage" to prior to 1980 when mass market audio began it's quality decline. Early Sony, Marantz made excellent receivers. But for the most underrated I would go with Pilot and of course Bose as most overrated. Bose qualifys as vintage, the 901 came out in 1968 and the early ones were pretty good. So Bose gets my award for the company in the most decline.
 
Last edited:
I just read this thread through, from first post to most recent...I'm not sure how much of my curiosity would be considered "morbid curiosity", but I did enjoy it. I was quite happy to see how often Onkyo was mentioned as underrated, and never over...I appreciate my Onkyo components a little more each day, and wouldn't hesitate to obtain more, given they fall out of the sky like my originals, lol...I'm not yet terribly high brow, but I do find myself lusting after some Adcom power and preamps..I think my favorite comment of all was the addition of the "Most Overhated" for all the vitriol spewed about Bose Products...I suggest that there are more than a few "dirty lil Bose secrets" amongst forum members..unwillingness to admit that yes, even the most pious of audiophiles may have one day, way back when, listened to some 901's and were GUILTY of actually ENJOYING them!!!! I bet they hope no one has any evidence indicating that they actually TAPPED THEIR FOOT while listening !!! haha..perhaps they will be saved from disgrace by being found guilty of the lesser social stigma of having smoked (but, not inhaled, of course)LOL...wonderful thread..I hope it goes on and on..
 
Last edited:
Under-rated: Eico 3070 Cortina. A little 15 watt per channel unimpressive looking solid state amp that had no business sounding anywhere near as good as it did.


Over-rated: This may start a war and if it does, please understand it is just MY opinion and I mean no disrespect to those who think otherwise. Having said that disclaimer Klipsch Horns. To my ears they make everything sound like brass horns.

(That's my story and I'm sticking to it:D)
 
Wow, this is the most fun I've had in a long time! The opinions are really great and make you think. Thanks to everybody who took time to write opinions in this thread, you folks made my day.
 
I don't find Bose speakers over priced.........I bought a pair of 4001's at a yard sale for $10...........they sound like speakers that cost twice that much :)
 
Underrated: Marantz 240 amp. This is the same as the 250 without the meters, but it packs the same punch, and is significantly less $$ on the collector's slate, and so is a perfect chance for tightwads (like me) to get in on the Marantz cult.

Overrated: I can't really offer anything here. I part with my money only for things that really work and really sound good, and so far my collection has been dominated by Marantz gear from the early-mid 70s. I have a Sony TC-FX6C from 1980 with Dolby C that works as well as anything (except Nakajimi) I've seen. Got it for $12 from you-know-where.

m
 
I just ran across some underrated gear...almost unheard of on this site, according to the search (but it comes up on AA a little). I picked up an Audire amp/preamp. The Crescendo amp and Legato preamp. REALLY fine sounding, especially the preamp. The amp is only 60watts, but doubles that to 4ohm and doesn't seem to break much of a sweat driving my speakers. I've never heard that kind of slam from 60watts before. I keep running across really odd/esoteric but great sounding gear that sounds way better to my ears than a lot of the usual suspects I've picked up (pioneer, marantz..).
 
Marantz reputation

I can't believe how many of you say Marantz was overrated. They sound just as good as a lot of the best gear from the 70's but they also have a classy and timeless look to them. I, and many others are willing to pay a little extra for that. When I purchase high quality items I want them to not only perform well but look great! They are more collectible for that reason and command a higher price over the units that will forever belong in the 70's. Would you have purchased a ford pinto with a corvette engine??

From the point of view of one who sold Pioneer, Kenwood, Sansui, Sherwood, Fisher and Maranz back in the 70s, I wouldn't say that Marantz was over-rated, but that its advertising and press somewhat exceeded what it really delivered.

It certainly was every bit the equal of Pioneer, Kenwood and Sansui in the mid-70s, but thanks to very well-placed advertising, it became the object of desire for a particular group of buyers. The Marantz styling was certainly unique and allowed it to somewhat separate themselves from most of the competition by looks alone. Watt for watt and spec by spec, they commanded a slightly higher price than the other mainstream competitors and had a target audience that was willing to pay that premium.

I probably sold more Marantz receivers to the substance-enhanced children of affluent parents than any other brand! :D
 
Many of the Realistic receivers and amps from Radio Shack were solidly built and good-sounding. Foster (the parent company of Fostex) made quite a few of these models, though Tandy also bought from other Japanese majors such as Pioneer if it made business sense. Some of the Realistic tape decks were pretty good, too.

Realistic gets my vote for most underrated. In most cases, if it was TOTL Realistic, it was good as any of the mainstream equipment that was available. In many instances, better.

Most overrated; IMO would have to be Sansui. I have heard very few Sansui components that sounded pleasing due to their inherant over-brightness. Many Japanese manufacturers were guilty of peaked high frequency response as to add a "crispness" to the sound, but I have found Sansui to be the biggest offender. (just my opinion, not meaning to offend Sansui owners)
 
Marantz 2270 (I owned one --bought new) What a piece of junk. Had no drive, hated the click volume control as well as bass and treble click.
Did not come alive until half volume.
I HATED that thing!!! Sounded weak -I also heard other 2270's and thought the same thing.
James
 
quadraflex receivers . i've had two of them , they were built like tanks , had massive power
supplies , and gobs of power. quadraflex gets a bad rep for junky tapedecks and
awful speakers.....but, since they were just rebadged anyway.....

magnavox - made some of the best sounding early cd players. several hi-end
brands were rebadged,modded magnavox players , costing 5-10 times the plice.
 
most under rated - depends who is doing the rating
most over rated - depends who is doing the rating
Best gear - whatever you can afford or your ears tell you you like. As long as you are listening to music, far be it from me to tell you what gear you should enjoy
 
Back
Top Bottom