• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Most Underrated/Overrated Component or Brand

Overrated: Alot of those companies still making audio equipment today
Underrated: Those same companies 30-40 years ago

:yes:
 
Gotta second Toshiba. I passed on a 7150 because it was abused and took forever to warm up... like to hear one in good condition! :D
 
any of those slimline amplifiers you can pick up with one hand, that contain more fresh air than parts inside, with no ventilation slots...and that rely on deaf 'celebrity' reviewers with obviously compromised hearing to wax lyrical about in order to sell in large quantities...

regardless of price or brand..tend to be overrated imho..:scratch2:
 
I think my Sony TA-F4A integrated amplifier & Harman Kardon T55C TT are underrated pieces of vintage audio equipment. They are both in mint condition & perform with nary a problem.

Rome
 
TECHNICS!!!
SONY!!!
There's many more, but these 2 brands are so f*ckin overrated, it's not even funny.

And what's the big deal with Technics turntables? I have Sanyo TP-1010 TT that's the exact same thing, except instead of "TECHNICS" written on the plinth, it says "SANYO". Pfft. big deal. All that excitement over a brand that makes mid-quality equipment.

And Sony turntables... my friend has a new Sony turntable, and it's basically one of those CHEAP PIECES OF SH*T you get at radio shack, only it says "SONY" on it. It doesn't even have an adjustable counterweight. I have a BSR changer that can blow that motherf*cker away. And he claims it's a good TT because it's a sony. That's like people buying satan's sh*t, also known as SAMSUNG, just because it's japanese, and all japanese electronics are apparently good, like my mom, who now has a broken 2 year old samsung VCR on her hands.

Sony, like Technics, is a middle of the road brand, and there's stuff out there that's so much better, but they don't have the image like Technics and Sony. Just like people who drink Coke just because it's Coke, then they plaster themselves in Coke logos like a bunch of communists.

In fact, Sony makes garbage now. I know some of their vintage stuff might be good, but for the most part, the only Sony product I would ever buy is a cassette walkman, because only Sony knows how to make them, but since they don't make those anymore, than Sony can kiss my a**. Anyway, I have a grudge against them after a racist commercial they made in the '80s, claiming that westerners can't make proper electronics because we're not as smart, and we're too big and clumsy....
After I saw that commercial, I decided that I would rather get ass raped than to buy another sony electronic.
 
TECHNICS!!!
That's like people buying satan's sh*t, also known as SAMSUNG, just because it's japanese, and all japanese electronics are apparently good, like my mom, who now has a broken 2 year old samsung VCR on her hands.

Um, Samsung is Korean far as I know. I really haven't had a problem with them. I'm sure they do indeed make crap, but not much of it has come my way.
 
TECHNICS!!!
SONY!!!
There's many more, but these 2 brands are so f*ckin overrated, it's not even funny.

And what's the big deal with Technics turntables? I have Sanyo TP-1010 TT that's the exact same thing, except instead of "TECHNICS" written on the plinth, it says "SANYO". Pfft. big deal. All that excitement over a brand that makes mid-quality equipment.

And Sony turntables... my friend has a new Sony turntable, and it's basically one of those CHEAP PIECES OF SH*T you get at radio shack, only it says "SONY" on it. It doesn't even have an adjustable counterweight. I have a BSR changer that can blow that motherf*cker away. And he claims it's a good TT because it's a sony. That's like people buying satan's sh*t, also known as SAMSUNG, just because it's japanese, and all japanese electronics are apparently good, like my mom, who now has a broken 2 year old samsung VCR on her hands.

Sony, like Technics, is a middle of the road brand, and there's stuff out there that's so much better, but they don't have the image like Technics and Sony. Just like people who drink Coke just because it's Coke, then they plaster themselves in Coke logos like a bunch of communists.

In fact, Sony makes garbage now. I know some of their vintage stuff might be good, but for the most part, the only Sony product I would ever buy is a cassette walkman, because only Sony knows how to make them, but since they don't make those anymore, than Sony can kiss my a**. Anyway, I have a grudge against them after a racist commercial they made in the '80s, claiming that westerners can't make proper electronics because we're not as smart, and we're too big and clumsy....
After I saw that commercial, I decided that I would rather get ass raped than to buy another sony electronic.

I heartily beg to differ. Sony made amazing components (just take a quick gander over to The Vintage Knob) in their ES series, and their ESPRIT series. They made (and make) a lot of cheap consumer stuff, true, but their ES CD players still go for hundreds today, even with a NLA laser block. Sony does make some stuff good now, like their HD camcorders and TVs, but I agree, most of their stuff now isn't as good as it used to be. But you can say that about nearly any company.

Technics is/was for the most part a middle-of-the-line brand, but did make forays into areas below and above it. Technics TTs are highly regarded because they are good for what they are. Will they best a Linn Sondek LP12 or a high end Denon? Probably not, but for the price (keyword here being price) they are exceptional. The Technics SL-1200 has been produced now for over 20 years, with only a few modifications.

I strongly disagree that Technics and Sony are overrated, they're known as good and cheap, and from my experience, they are.
 
I just read this entire thread - all 191 posts - and I have to say that I am impressed that everyone is honoring the AK mantra - All Audio - No Attitude! Very nicely done! This is exactly what I really like and admire about AK and it's members! My hat is off to all of 'ya! :thmbsp:

Spoke too soon eh?
 
Overrated has to be Mcintosh - I've owned several units. MC-30s, MR-71 Tuner.

Nothing special over other brands.

Don't get me wrong. They are not bad - They just don't deserve the high prices and genuflecting.

But this is the "Vintage Forum", otherwise I would have mentioned Mark Levinson and Krell - LOL
 
Under-rated:
Optonica/Sharp
Heathkit
Luxman
Altec Lansing
Nikko
Mitsubishi
Denon (vintage integrated amps)
etc...

Over-rated:
Yamaha
McIntosh
Conrad Johnson
Nakamichi (spelling)
B&O
Dual (turntables)
Sansui
Acustat
etc...

TTYL, kyrie
 
I'd have to say underrated would go to Technic's Receivers! I have 3 vintage 70's units now and I'm a believer. I compare them to my Pioneer SX-950 and SX-1010. They hold their own for sure.
 
I feel Marantz was rated about right in "the day" over rated? I'd have to say NAD..Lots of my friends ditched their 70's stuff and went over to NAD in the early 80s personally I was not impressed. (I know it aint really vintage but it's what alot pf ppl went to) a buddy had the top of the line and his angry wife took a hammer to it when he didnt come home one night..it was pricless ha ha (as i said not a NAD fan but id have divorced her for attacking my gear)...needless to say they did end up divorced
 
Heck of a note, going by this thread the most under rated item in hifi is Bose, everybody panned them here. Come on guys, the vintage stuff ain't that bad. No it never did come close to living up to the hype, but what could when it was hyped like that?

Besides who is doing the rating that folks are agreeing or disagreeing with? And are we going by how it was rated back in the day, or by how popular it is with collectors today?

I remember back in the day that most of us thought the stuff advertised in the HiFi magazines was great and the stuff that was not heavily advertised was junk. The actual sound and quality did not seem to make a lot of difference to most buyers. The fact is that a lot of the stuff that people think is great today, was considered junk back then (mostly on the basis of low price). I seriously doubt that any serious audiophile back then bought any of the store branded stuff (Radio Shack, Allied, MCS, etc.), some of which was quite good, for instance.
 
Back
Top Bottom