• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Most Underrated/Overrated Component or Brand

After doing servicing of my Sony STR-6055, I have to say it was really underrated. The sound from this unit is simply amazing. I think the Sony 60xx and 70xx series had to be great values. I still say Kenwood made great gear and my KR-6600 receiver is a solid performer today.

The Marantz 2230 receiver is a real sleeper and I wouldn't mind finding one for myself some day.

Now, about that "overrated" McIntosh gear. To me, at least, McIntosh remains one of the best built and supported lines in the industry. You may not care for the sound if you like a different presentation, but the quality of construction is excellent. I feel that properly cared for, a piece of Mac gear will be running long after that super sounding wiz kid has been placed on the junk pile.

By the way, this thread is now years old, but it's still a blast to read through. I'd love to see comments about the new gear from Cambridge Audio, Creek, Rotel and others.:D
 
On this forum I would have to say the most under-rated is Bang & Olufsen. I hardly ever read any posts on their products, and the few who do make a comment seem to think of them as Bose of Europe. They have made some pretty good gear over the years, have taken chances and have their own style.

Most over-rated goes to not a brand but to anything with tubes in general, a close second would have to be cassette decks. I can't believe some of the things I have seen people post about cassettes in the tape forum, pretty funny from my point of view.

I think we should add a third catagory, the most over-hated, which would have to go to Bose. :D
 
Over rated-klipsch and JBL (there awesome but for some reason i dont like them), bose of course.

Under rated-Cerwin-vega(big time!) and kenwood

I dont get why people are sayin marantz is overrated. they are simply awesome.
 
Underrated: Nikko, MCS, Hitachi.
Owned a mid 80's hitachi power amp that was a real sleeper. Never could find the matching pre, but always wanted it.

Overrated: Sony, Bose.
 
"an early/mid 80s R9 or R8 would make a very good pickup. "



i really like my r-8 , r-9 receivers . definitely NOT BPC! (no plastic crap, just black).

aside from replacing the supercaps which store station presets..no problems

these are great
receivers.
 
From my experience....

Over rated ones are Pioneer, SANSUI, post 80s Sony, NAD, Marantz (used to call them Mudrantz), Cambridge Audio (hummy amps), B&W speakers...hundreds more.

Under rated ones - Pre 80s Sony, Pre 80s Toshiba, Yamaha, Technics. EPOS speakers.
 
Hmmm... most underrated? I would have to say Nakamichi as far as receivers go, and specifically the AV-1. Since my "addiction out-of-remission" back in March, I have been through everything from a crown PA to Onkyo, to Yamaha, and Sansui. Every time I eventually put the AV-1 back up. The crown was awesome, but the AV-1 is just a tad bit sweeter I think.

Last time was just 20 minutes ago, against a Yamaha R-9.

I don't know that the AV-1 is better than the R-9. That's strictly opinion as they are very similar sounding to me. And the Yamaha is at least 6 years older, if not more. But certainly the Nakamichi is a good receiver and would more than satisfy lots of people. The FM reception is weak though. And they go for a little more than they should in my opinion. I think they are worlds better than the TA stasis stuff.

In the end, the Yamaha's Class "A" function is pretty nice. So overall, the blue ribbon goes to the Yamaha in my eyes for power, FM reception, sound, and price.
 
Overrated: Technics. Their earlier stuff was good, but towards the end it got too plasticy. Their amps in particular started using a single integrated power amp module instead of discrete components. One HiFi magazine tested a Compu-Drive amp until it was almost glowing red, then powered it off, then back on again. The status display showed "pre-heat", suggesting it was simply a programmed light display.

Underrated: NAD. That original 3020 amp got great reviews, sure. But have you ever taken one apart? Really good circuit design, like seperate power supply windings for the pre-amp, and a 2N3055 and MJ2955 output stage (cheap but able to handle lots of current). A HiFi magazine tested one, and with a current probe, measured clean, non-clipped plus and minus 20A peaks into a 2 ohm real speaker load (4 pairs of speakers in parallel). Using Power = current squared x ohms, that's 800w peaks!
 
...Mac is good gear, but not superior, considering the inflated price.

Ask just about any McIntosh owner and they'll tell you it isn't just about performance when it comes to the value of a piece. We also factor in build quality, ruggedness, styling, and the company itself. Getting back to performance, what amps are better at delivering clean power as advertised?
I didn't forget you were once a Mac owner.
 
Underrated------
Vintage Technics, Realistic, MCS, Soundcraftsmen, JVC

Overrated.........
Pretty much all of the current high end stuff is horribly overpriced and bells/whistles that most of us will never use.
 
Some time ago in this thread I panned the KLH 27 receiver. I got one recently that has been gone through and though not up to my tastes as are the Sony or Philips receivers. I hereby officially recind my neg. comment. It actually has a pretty good amp, a might hard sounding but not bad. It actually marries wonderfully well to my original Advents. The tuner adds an edge that makes it come closer to say the Sony Str-6120 sound than the Mc and Sony STR 6060FW. The slight edge prevents it from doing well with the Wharfedale W70s and on the Heresy IIs, I suspect those who like rock, reggie, etc. will really like it but for me it does miss for classical and jazz. I've not connected the ADS L-300s but I suspect it will be a nice match but not as positive it will excite me on the Minimus 7s. Using my Koss ESP9s it is non fatiguing and very enjoyable with little hint of the edge coming through.
 
Just found this thread....haven't gone thru it either.....Most underated....Accuphase components...C200,P300,E202. Reason the design...all plug n play boards,easy to upgrade and given quality parts....delivers jaw dropping sound.
Overated....Oh hell...compared to my vintage Accuphase...I won't go there.
 
Maybe he was referring to Superscope or Sansui. Oh, maybe E.H. Scott or even H.H. Scott or Sonab. Oh, I'd wager on Sylvania.
 
I agree with ddarch. I have an Onkyo TMX 2500mk. Not a blaster, but solid. I recently sold a TMX 2500. Both silver. Better than my Pioneer sx 650............A Zenith console, anybody?????
 
Ok - I just read this whole thread, and realized that most of the gear in my signature is underrated. But I kinda already knew that. It's also listed because I have a strange sense of humor - and I'm known for routing for the underdog. Go JC Penney!!!

As for overrated, my vote is for Bose, and a few Sony pieces that seemed poorly built that I've run across.

Rob
 
Underrated: Trio-Kenwood (definately), Yamaha, Accuphase, and maybe Rotel.

Overrated: Pioneer, Marantz, Sansui, and some others.

Some other overrated brands: Mcintosh, Bose, and Sony.
 
Last edited:
Underrated: Trio-Kenwood (definately), Yamaha, Accuphase, and maybe Rotel.

Overrated: Pioneer, Marantz, Sansui, and some others.

OOOO,

I beg to disagreeeeee on all counts, and I suspect this is a provocation of the welcome kind :yes:.

Non of the manufacturers you mentioned is underrated (Accuphase underrated?), and non of the brands you mentioned is overrated (Sansui overrated?).
 
Back
Top Bottom