• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Motorcycle with no baffles.

"Sucks"; a vulgar way to express the notion that something is unpleasant, an expression often used by people who like loud motorbikes and 10 year olds who put baseball cards in their bicycle spokes

You never put cards in your spokes ?
You missed out....
 
Yeah, I can't stand people who get into others lives...

You mean like people who force their loud exhaust on others?

If you can prove that a passing group of motorcycles damaged your hearing take it to court. Your case will be thrown out because you can't prove any damage caused by the passing motorcycles so how can you be sure there is any ? Or if the motorcycles are the cause if there is damage ?

Just making stuff up now to prove some kind of point that doesn't exist ?
That's hardly a valid argument.

Did you read what I said? I said that it HAS happened. Not "what if", not "making stuff up". I have been out running in my area and been passed by motorcycles that left my ears ringing. I live out in the country so I doubt that the ringing was caused by birds chirping or squirrels romping through the underbrush. If an event is loud enough to cause tinnitus then it is loud enough to cause, at the least, a temporary threshold shift and possibly permanent damage.

The idea is simple enough even a cave man can understand it.
1) ears were fine.
2) motorcycles went by.
3) ears ringing.

The fact that I couldn't prove that in a court doesn't mean it didn't happen. It just means that the onus of proof would be on me and I don't have the resources to proove it.
 
Not forced on them Ray... I'm just passing by.. I don't stay in their face...

Seriously though, I'd rather have a loud bike pass me by on the street of DC than all the ambulances with their sirens blaring full tit through the middle of the city bouncing off the buildings as they sit there not moving because all the assholes won't move out of the way because they don't want to lose their place in the traffic jam line..

You know I'm pretty used to loud sound... but those ambulances are ear splitting painful when you are on the street next to them... I've often wondered if city dwellers could sue them since a lot of firemen did over the sirens on their trucks damaging their ears.. That's why now you see them wearing headphones.. not just so they could talk, but it was part of the settlement from my understanding.. that the departments started to have to make an effort of protecting their people.
 
Despite the common notion that "Loud pipes save lives" is BS, I have heard motorcycles with loud pipes in my truck and correctly identified their location several times in the recent past.

All of the motorcycle nannies will explain how in their 30 years of riding a loud pipe never made a difference, but one should wear bright yellow and reflectors, but the truth is my first hand experience as a driver has shown me otherwise.

Conversely, many drives do panic when they hear a bike and are therefore liable to actually swerve into the rider, but a rider must assume that the drivers next to them will do the stupidest thing possible at all times.

Without a doubt, what really saves lives is skill, training, and reaction time. But a little noise rarely hurts - just don't blast the nuclear family at 3am by doing burnouts on their court, and you should be fine.
 
Whole lotta mis-information here.

As are most Internet arguments. Care to enlighten?

This whole topic got me thinking, so I did some Googling. Some interesting reading in something called "The Hurt Report", also the Department of Transportation has some interesting data.

I can't see anything pointing to loud pipes saving lives. More than one sight does indicate that visibility saves lives, and recommends high beam use during daylight hours, and brightly colored fairings and upper body clothing.

So, here's a hypothetical question to any loud pipes advocates. If safety were really the primary concern, and it was shown statistically that the loud pipes did nothing, but turning on your headlights and wearing a pink leather jacket would get you noticed by grandma in her Prius 100% of the time, would you dump the pipes and don the jacket? I mean, it is all about the safety, right?

;)

bs
 
Glad someone brought up safety vests.... If someone doesn't see you without it, then Ican pretty much say they aren't going to see you with it..

People ram into the back of school buses all the time. I watched a girl plow into the back of a huge white suburban with glowing red brake lights all around it...

If someone isn't watching, they aren't going to see you no matter what color you are wearing...

Give me a choice, and I want the loud pipe over the loud clothing....

I know.. I see people looking in mirrors when I am riding behind them with an open pipe... I don't see them doing that when I have on a bright yellow and red tie die on the quiet bike.. Now they know I'm there and will keep it in their mind.. They LOOKED...
 
Fair question if we would dump the pipes..

For me, I'd get a quieter one if it was the only bike I had. I honestly can't stand riding it all day on the Interstate or over about 50... I can keep it fairly quiet at low speeds and driving around town.. But I do know for a fat it has gotten me seen many times I wouldn't have.

Anothe problem for bikes is though.. a lot of times people will look rigt at you and pull out in front of you.. Not because they are assholes, but because either you didn't register as a threat in their mind because you aren't a 4 wheeled vehicle, or they thought you were further away because you are smaller, or they can't judge your speed on a bike as well as they could if you were a car...

So no matter what, you are a target on the road. I always believed everyone should have to ride a bike for a year before they could drive a car. Then have to do the same every 5 years.. I've been a lot safer driver when I've been an active rider. After time, I seem to fall into a complacency if I don't get on a bike for a few years.. I've found a lot of other riders have found the same for them..

I also ride with ultraviolet lights under the tank and fairings at night. Amazing how much difference that has made for me riding at night. I find people tend to keep a better distance.. (No, cops have never stopped me for it, and I've sat beside them at a light even.. passed by many)

So anyway, I'm all about making yourself seen any way you can.. or want..
 
There are very few consequences because most people realize it's not a big deal. I've had loud cars and motorcycles for the last 35 years and never got a ticket or a warning. It's not a big deal to the majority of people. If it was a big deal there would be more enforcement.

Had to revisit this one. So the premise is that you've never gotten a ticket therefore it doesn't matter and is not really illegal. Legality is simply a matter of enforcement. So if I break into your house and steal your stereo but I don't get caught then it wasn't really illegal, right? If it was a big deal it would have been enforced. They'd bring in the CSI folks from TV and all those cats to make sure they caught me. But since they didn't, it's ok. Right?


Not forced on them Ray... I'm just passing by.. I don't stay in their face...

So if my 4 friends and I go to all you can eat burrito night and then pass by your table and each of us farts right beside your head, that's ok? We're just passing by and don't stay in your face. Does that make it any less unpleasant?

It comes down to basic consideration for your fellow humans. This argument seems to be all about your rights but does not consider theirs at all.

Note: Simi, don't take this personally. If you make it back to HogRock we'll still go have some catfish in E-town.
 
NAH.. I ain't taking nothing personal... Everyone else bitches about everything.. just our turn to do it together... We each have our likes and dislikes... My wife would probably laugh louder if you farted in public than I would..

We've talked about making a pilgrimage back for HR... never know.. might do it in a year or two..
 
So if my 4 friends and I go to all you can eat burrito night and then pass by your table and each of us farts right beside your head, that's ok? We're just passing by and don't stay in your face. Does that make it any less unpleasant?

It comes down to basic consideration for your fellow humans. This argument seems to be all about your rights but does not consider theirs at all.

Note: Simi, don't take this personally. If you make it back to HogRock we'll still go have some catfish in E-town.

To give some context, though, would you go on a campaign to ban public flatulence? Or burritos in general, simply because occasionally you get farted on?
 
To give some context, though, would you go on a campaign to ban public flatulence? Or burritos in general, simply because occasionally you get farted on?

Pretty much where it's all going any more... too many wanting their rights.. I'm just tired of always being the loser so I do what I can before they outlaw it... :thmbsp:
 
Half illegal here.. no noise laws, but not supposed to put a pipe on that doesn't have the EPA legalese stamped in it..
 
You mean like people who force their loud exhaust on others?



Did you read what I said? I said that it HAS happened. Not "what if", not "making stuff up". I have been out running in my area and been passed by motorcycles that left my ears ringing. I live out in the country so I doubt that the ringing was caused by birds chirping or squirrels romping through the underbrush. If an event is loud enough to cause tinnitus then it is loud enough to cause, at the least, a temporary threshold shift and possibly permanent damage.

The idea is simple enough even a cave man can understand it.
1) ears were fine.
2) motorcycles went by.
3) ears ringing.

The fact that I couldn't prove that in a court doesn't mean it didn't happen. It just means that the onus of proof would be on me and I don't have the resources to proove it.

I never said it didn't happen. I said you can't prove there was any damage. Which means it's only your opinion that damage was, or could have been done. With that and a buck you can buy a beer.
 
I never said it didn't happen. I said you can't prove there was any damage. Which means it's only your opinion that damage was, or could have been done. With that and a buck you can buy a beer.

If your ears are ringing.. there is damage.

The only question is how severe, and to what degree it is permanent.
 
Had to revisit this one. So the premise is that you've never gotten a ticket therefore it doesn't matter and is not really illegal. Legality is simply a matter of enforcement. So if I break into your house and steal your stereo but I don't get caught then it wasn't really illegal, right? If it was a big deal it would have been enforced. They'd bring in the CSI folks from TV and all those cats to make sure they caught me. But since they didn't, it's ok. Right?




So if my 4 friends and I go to all you can eat burrito night and then pass by your table and each of us farts right beside your head, that's ok? We're just passing by and don't stay in your face. Does that make it any less unpleasant?

It comes down to basic consideration for your fellow humans. This argument seems to be all about your rights but does not consider theirs at all.

Note: Simi, don't take this personally. If you make it back to HogRock we'll still go have some catfish in E-town.

I never said it wasn't illegal. I said it isn't enforced which makes it a very minor issue. Not getting caught and not being enforced are two entirely different things so your analogy is very poor and irrelevant.

Besides, if you broke into my house to steal my stereo you would leave the house without the stereo and probably on a stretcher. I wouldn't call the cops but I would call an ambulance.

You and your friends probably have a legal right to walk by my table and fart but all 5 of you would end up bleeding from whatever eating utensil was sitting on the table.

Your idea of consideration and mine are vastly different. 5 guys walking by and farting at my table isn't a coincidence. That's another poor analogy. But if that happened I would consider that to be personally disrespectful and I would do something about it.

You seem to think someone with loud pipes is the same kind of personal disrespect ? Who's making it personal besides you ? The biker doesn't give you a second thought. You just happened to be there. Nothing personal about that. If someone rode at the same pace next to you revving the motor it would be about you but it wasn't.

If you feel disrespected by loud pipes, or anything for that matter, be a man and stand up for yourself.

You should express your feelings to the next guy you see on a motorcycle with loud pipes.
 
Last edited:
If your ears are ringing.. there is damage.

The only question is how severe, and to what degree it is permanent.


OK, Doc. Where's the evidence ? I'll play the devil's advocate and say the entire story is BS. Prove there was ringing. Prove there was damage caused by the motorcycles.

If his ears are that important and sensitive why isn't he wearing ear protection when going outside ? That would be foolish knowing there are loud cars, trucks and motorcycles on the road. Not to mention lawn mowers, leaf blowers and any number of other things that are loud. Dogs, kids, chipmunks....

Going outside without ear protection under the circumstances would be personally irresponsible and how can someone as irresponsible as that hold others accountable ?

I make money with my hands and I always protect my hands.
 
God, I hate being called "low rent" by someone I've civilly traded posts with for 5 years.

I'd rather be low rent than high rent any day. He's got a personal issue with bikers that is probably the result of fear and jealousy.

I think this dialogue from the movie Easy Rider applies.

George Hanson: What you represent to them is freedom.
Billy: What the hell is wrong with freedom? That's what it's all about.
George Hanson: Oh, yeah, that's right. That's what's it's all about, all right. But talkin' about it and bein' it, that's two different things. I mean, it's real hard to be free when you are bought and sold in the marketplace. Of course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free, 'cause then they're gonna get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are. Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em.
Billy: Well, it don't make 'em runnin' scared.
George Hanson: No, it makes 'em dangerous.
 
Back
Top Bottom