• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Music Related Books

Another wish list addition. $1515.25 for the eight volume set, but hey, free shipping! ;)

The Grove Dictionary of American Music

51m1PIA9D8L.jpg
 
Picked up this little book put out by Skillfact Library in 1965. Lots of black and white photos. 96 pages.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6723.jpg
    IMG_6723.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6724.jpg
    IMG_6724.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6725.jpg
    IMG_6725.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6726.jpg
    IMG_6726.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 28
But Beautiful. A Book About Jazz.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/761819.But_Beautiful

Really captures the essence.

I'll second this! Geoff Dyer writes "improvisations" on stories concerning the lives of various jazz players such as Charles Mingus, Lester Young, Art Pepper, The Duke and others that somehow manages to capture something as true as a straight up biography, while putting his own subjective spin on it. How jazzy is that?
 
Here's a funny one, "Rock and Roll Will Save Your Life: A Book by and for the Fanatics Among Us". I think that fits some of us, no? Almond tells his own story of how he became a fan(atic) and sometime music critic, and lots of other stuff, including this snarky analysis of the song "Africa" by Toto, which he claims is "the love child of imperialism and Muzak".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b2aGe8_Ag0

41MRX491CRL.jpg


For the punkers, I like this one about the Brit side of the story, "England's Dreaming".

610-zzgtOxL.jpg


And on this side of the pond, "Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk"

51G3XZDQ5AL.jpg


And now for something completely different! For classical music, I really like this one:
51k9NvF8vOL.jpg


And for a brilliant read that puts 20th century classical composers in their political and historical context, check out, "The Rest Is Noise: Listening to the Twentieth Century" by Alex Ross. Sounds boring, but it's so interesting it'll make you want to buy some CDs. I mean vinyl!
41bVxDu-zhL.jpg
 
Two more GW finds. I'm spending more time in their book section than their record bins lately. :thmbsp:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6760.jpg
    IMG_6760.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 35
I didn't notice in these posts the groundbreaking book by Anthony Scaduto from the early 70s that I read soon after it was released. In-depth, and presented Zimmy, warts and all.

"Bob Dylan: A Biography" by Anthony Scaduto

Edit: I just checked to see what our library has on Dylan - there are 52 books, including one in LARGE PRINT. Yes, some of us are getting older.
 
Last edited:
Two GW finds from today. Storyville has a lot of obscure photos and stories about the Blues/Jazz scene there. The World Music book comes with 2 CDs with many field recordings.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6878.jpg
    IMG_6878.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
+1 Nat and Leonard Feather were the two critics whose reviews I turned to most when I was a youngster trying to understand jazz.

Reading Monk's biography Leonard Feather really looks bad. Amazing he never lost his credibility for being so wrong about Monk, critically savaging him during his darkest times before he made it big. Now I look at Feather's take with a grain of salt.
 
Reading Monk's biography Leonard Feather really looks bad. Amazing he never lost his credibility for being so wrong about Monk, critically savaging him during his darkest times before he made it big. Now I look at Feather's take with a grain of salt.

Can't be right all the time. I think it shows us today just how revolutionary he really was as a composer and player. Even super hip crtitics didn't get it.
 
GW comes through again for all you guitar players. The Woodstock book is from 1970.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6890.jpg
    IMG_6890.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6891.jpg
    IMG_6891.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6892.jpg
    IMG_6892.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 28
Back
Top Bottom