• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

My minimalist system. Show me yours.

ticntoc

Active Member
Post pics of your "minimalist" system. What do you have in your bedroom, dorm room, your 900 sq ft condo? My 2 bedroom house is 925 sq ft. The living room is only slightly larger than the master bed room. Not a lot of space for a big system. Lets keep it simple. One receiver (tuner/amp -OK), one turn table and one pair of speakers, CD player etc.

Here's mine, show me yours.

Scott 382B/13 receiver (recap'd Thanks tcdriver for your help)
Dual 506 TT
Nova Omni speakers (marketed my Allied Radio)
Sony 5 disc CD changer

Glenn
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I love the minimal approach even if you have lots of space.
My main system features the source, power and 2 speakers.
Thats it.
 
My office system

Pioneer SA-9100 amp 60 watts

Pioneer TX-9100 Tuner

Samsung HD-850 DVDP

Pioneer HPM-60 Speakers

I do have a timer in the system but never use it except as a clock.

Officesystem002.jpg


In the back you can just barely see a Bose 301 II on the wall. These have been replaced with the HPM-60's. And will soon get a pair of AR-3a's right next to them.

yes the desk has two tops the computers are on the normal level while the stereo and scanners and printers are on the top. the sound has to kind of come up over the desk to get to me. SO that is why the speakers are wall mounted, well that and a total lack of floor space int he office.
 
ticntoc said:
your 900 sq ft condo? My 2 bedroom house is 925 sq ft.

I wish my condo was 900 sq. ft. Its not that big even if I include my rather large patio.
 
Here is mine at present time. It is the system I use on the shelf above my little work bench.

mini.jpg


Mitsubishi DA-A10DC Amp
Mitsubishi DA-P10 Preamp
Mitsubishi DA-F10 Tuner
A/D/S L300 Speakers
Apple 4th gen. 40gig iPod
 
Tunes For the Pig Pen

I try to keep my main system minimalist

Pair of Electra Print 300 DRD amps good for 13 wpc
Electra Print PVA pre-amp. Its a transformer based passive unit
Audio Magic Kukama DAC w JVC XL-Z1050n for transport
Audio Nirvana Super 12 drivers in a Lovecraft Designs built cabinet
Cabling is Audio Magic Illusions 4D interconnects,speaker cable, and digital cable
Audio Magic Extreme power cords

The Audio Pro Avantek sub is unused. It's a stand for the PVA at the moment. Please ignore the derelict Squeezebox, and odd piece of sand paper.


I can't get the pic to link to this post. It wa attached to an earlier post on AK, and the system won't let me use it again. If you wish to see aforementioned system go to this link

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=107929

Regards
Mister Pig
 
Last edited:
Gainclone, passive preamp, CD player and whatever speakers I have in the room at the moment.

Works for me.
 
Not in use as shown at the moment, but the most minimal in general use here has been Bottlehead Paramour 2A3 single-ended monoblock amps, Pete Millett-designed hybrid space charge tube/ss buffer headphone amp/preamp, a Marantz CDP and/or b&o TX-2 tangential tt (Bottlehead Seduction phono preamp for the latter), a Radio Shack switchbox (not shown) for input source selection, and a pair of mass loaded tapered quarter wave tubes (TQWT's) loaded with Radio Shack 40-1354 5-1/4" twincone full-range drivers (not shown). Oh, and a Sherwood S-3000 mono FM tuner. Quite nice.

TX2andbottlehead.jpg


EDIT: Grand total of 8 tubes (and a few SS devices) for stereo MM phono reproduction.
 
Our dining room set-up.
Bogan DB20
PhaseTech PC 60 speakers
Walkman cdp

I think Mrs. Manning puts up with it because it glows in the dark. :D
 
ekmanning5 said:
I think Mrs. Manning puts up with it because it glows in the dark. :D

Glows in the dark is a good thing. Some interesting furniture stands for the amps, too. Very nice systems here.

Glenn
 
My simple system in the downstairs family room.

It's my #2 system (see sig), but has become my main system for listening to vinyl and FM.

Sherwood S-7200 receiver
Dual 1228 TT
Advent Loudspeaker

sherwood_system.jpg
 
My most minimalist system is in my home office: one receiver with one pair of speakers. I rotate a Marantz 2275 with a 2285B receiver, fed out to Victor Company of Japan (JVC) SX 3 II speakers, and using Pioneer SE 505 headphones if it is late (wife asleep). Sometimes I'll feed it input from the laptop, an iPod, or a turntable, but none of those are left permanently attached, since I mostly listen to radio with it. I might be changing the speakers to AR 2ax, at least for comparison purposes, soon. Just need to fix up those speakers a bit. I have some other gear stacked in the same location, but those are not in use. [Except a Marantz AT-6 Digital Timer, now just being used as a clock.]

My "main" system in the living room right now is completely the opposite: really about three inter-mingled systems with a bunch of cables and two selector boxes so I can play with various combinations. Eventually I will simplify it, but at the moment I'm experimenting to decide what to keep and what to get rid of. Right now, it is so complicated my wife has to call me to "make it work" if she wants to listen to anything. There is one television that she can watch all by herself, though, as it is only connected to an antenna. :D [The other television is connected as a monitor, and trickier.]
 
I have about 1700-1800 sq ft. It is very crowed in here. Much of the stuff is where it was put when I moved in about 4 years ago.
The most minimalist stereo here is the Technics SU-G91 integrated with an Onkyo T-9 and a Sony CDP-297 and the JBL L100 Century.
But it is next to the big FR stereo.
Bad me.
 
My current work system:

Denon 3910
Radii HAP-02 headphone amp
Audio Technica "W3000" headphones (kind of frankensteined headphones)

Also:

Audio Alchemy DDEv3.0
Quad 12L powered monitors

Think of it as two minimalist systems, one headphone, the other for speaker listening.
 
When I go minimal it is -

Yamaha CDP with volume control
Adcom 535
B&W speakers


edit-

To me a minalist system is a source, amplification and speakers. If anything else (like a tuner, an extra source, even a receiver is not a minimalist design) is added it ceases to be a minamalist system because you are adding to the complexity ot the system through switches, cables, multple sources, extra pots and the like. Just my opinion, flame suit on! :D
 
My living room setup.

attachment.php


And my most minimalist setup.
 

Attachments

  • ipodnano04_20060912.jpg
    ipodnano04_20060912.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 29
Back
Top Bottom