• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

my sad collection of "New England" loudspeakers

A commonly-quoted 'picture' of the New England (AR) sound is that it resembles the concert hall experience if one is seated mid-hall. The 'rolled off' nature is consistent with that metaphor.

Always wondered what the description was. That must be why I dig the BA sound -- that's where I always sit when we go to the symphony... :D So the T1030's are my 'collection' ... but have served me well. Really enjoy them, but far more with the "new" amp. Haven't had a chance to audition really any of the others mentioned but hope to one day. :D

Michael
 
I'm still using my purchased new by me, thrice re-foamed 1972 Large Advents and a pair of AR-7s (also re-foamed). Wish I still had my first real speakers - 1967 AR-4s or those pearly white mid 70s Advent/2s. In the rush to upgrade we so often forget about the sound.:sigh:
 
Got to admit that I skipped a couple of the pages, but did anyone mention Clarke? Based in Connecticut near Hartford (though I once found a pair that seemed to imply Rhode Island), they made some nice speakers and also made the HLXs sold by Leiser's Super Stores, which I think is a New England based chain, so would count. (And don't laugh -- I found a polypro 8" three way that was just lovely to listen to). Most of Clarke's speakers were covered in formica rather than vinyl, for sound acoustic reasons.
Also Marjen -- haven't seen a pair in years, but were made in South Kent CT, where I went to school, though after I graduated. Wondered where the factory was, since when I was there the town consisted of a boarding school, a worm farm (!) and a post office.
And has anyone mentioned JSE? One of the best speakers I've ever heard, using Richard Mondafieri's infinite slope crossover design. Another CT company (all you MA snobs, taking 3 or 4 pages before Bozak was mentioned -- for shame!)
 
Only 3 pair, so I'm a bit of an amateur.

KLH 6
KLH17
Avid 103

And none currently in the system since my lil' JBL L20T's arrived.
 
Clark Speakers....

Got to admit that I skipped a couple of the pages, but did anyone mention Clarke? Based in Connecticut near Hartford (though I once found a pair that seemed to imply Rhode Island), they made some nice speakers and also made the HLXs sold by Leiser's Super Stores, which I think is a New England based chain, so would count. (And don't laugh -- I found a polypro 8" three way that was just lovely to listen to). Most of Clarke's speakers were covered in formica rather than vinyl, for sound acoustic reasons.
Also Marjen -- haven't seen a pair in years, but were made in South Kent CT, where I went to school, though after I graduated. Wondered where the factory was, since when I was there the town consisted of a boarding school, a worm farm (!) and a post office.
And has anyone mentioned JSE? One of the best speakers I've ever heard, using Richard Mondafieri's infinite slope crossover design. Another CT company (all you MA snobs, taking 3 or 4 pages before Bozak was mentioned -- for shame!)

Store I first worked at in late seventies sold Clark's; later on I knew Harry Leiser for awhile. He was a minor legend among CT. Hi Fi retailers at the time. Loved the Clark Speakers and thought they sounded a cut above their price range. Wish I sill had a pair. Amazing someone else remembers them!!
 
Hey, a dead thread! Perfect-- I'll jump in it

A quick survey of my modest collection revealed that all but 1 are New England, so apparently I prefer the sound even though I didn't really plan it that way. In fact, I seem to have a fondness for relatively inexpensive speakers that sound very good, whereas if instead of collecting I had saved up, I could have had a single pair that sound very very good. Curious-- I guess somewhere in my mind is a little man that equates quantity with quality.

Advent 5002
AR-18s
AR-28B
AR-38B
AR-48s
Boston Acoustics A60 Series II
Boston Acoustics A100


Short want list (not that I need any more but just for the fun of it):

Boston Acoustics A70
EPI 100
something from Genesis camp
Avid 103
ADS 710/810 (after I win the lottery)
 
Last edited:
I currently have a pair of Snell EIV and Genesis Model 1 (need foam). I read all but two pages of this thread, and nobody mentioned Snell - I'm surprised.

I've also had a pair of AR-4x and KLH 24. The KLH 24s were actually quite unbelievable when I first hooked them up. I couldn't believe how nice they sounded given their diminutive size. They really shined on vocals.

The Genesis and AR pairs came from the wonderful "swap shop" at the town dump, which as mhardy pointed out, is a wonderful benefit to living in a small New England town. I've pulled a ton of gear out of the swap shop and off of the recycling pile during my weekly visits to the dump. None of the gear I've obtained has been super high quality (no McIntosh etc) but it has been respectable and has fed the gear addict in me.

-Matt
 
Oooh, I get to pile on a zombie! (=dead thread brought back to life) :D

Let's see, I have:

AR 2ax
AR 4x
KLH 23
EPI (one pair, forget the model number, and can't check it at this hour).

I have the feeling I have a couple more, but can't think of any more right now. Maybe the feeling just comes from seeing so many (Well over 100 pairs, for sure, including Allisons, other ARs, Boston Acoustics, etc... and Shahinians and others that were mentioned in the thread) in recent years.

Also-rans or near misses that didn't quite make the list:

I MIGHT be getting a pair of ADS M12s next week; still trying to decide between several speaker options.

I lost a struggle to extract a pair of bullnose-fronted large Advents from a bulk purchase, and have yet to see another pair since. Lots of other Advents have passed by since, but THOSE are the ones I want! :sigh:

I have a pair of Peerless speakers which, while from Scandinavia, closely resemble a lot of "East Coast" speakers in approach and sound.

I see some people mentioned Dahlquists in this thread. I have DQ-12s (and DCH Timeframes and other speakers), but I don't consider those as "East Coast". Overall, while I love the musicality of the "East Coast" sound at its best, I prefer some more accurate speakers with less rolled-off highs for most of my listening, and have limited speaker-storage space, so I don't particularly try to get these. I would like to add a few, though, like the AR 3as, whenever I find a bargain-priced pair.
 
Used to love the east coast sound had a great pair of A/D/S/ 1290's that are now in storage ....Have listened extensivly to the AR9 ...tremendous bass but now have settled into the west coast sound of Infinity kappa 9 Love the slightly forward detail.
 
Love the NE sound here in MS:

"New" Large Advents
Advent/9's
Advent 3002's
Advent Heritages (slight cheat)
Allison 6's
 
I'll chime in with my East Coast speaks. Good thread, Mark (and only 3 years old).

Now:
A/D/S L-520
A/D/S L-620 (project)
A/D/S L9e
Polk SDA CRS+
Polk LS-90
Polk LS-50
Altec Lansing model ?
KLH Model 10's (gifted away this week) rare and pristine

Pass throughs:
Polk Monitor 7b
EPI Model 4
EPI Model 2

Would Phase Techs be considered East Coast sound?
 
Last edited:
Barebones: there has been some discussion of Reynolds Advance speakers. They look very much like Genesis and EPIs because the woofers and the enclosure/alignments are the same, Dr. Reynolds having worked at Genesis before starting Reynolds Advance. Not sure why he used a different tweeter, whether because he didn't have rights to the airspring tweeter (in which case, why did he have rights to the woofer design?), or because he favored, for acoustical or marketing reasons, a standard dome tweeter. I've heard that the dome tweeter (a Peerless, I believe) wasn't able to handle as much power at the crossover point as the airspring, and that he had to replace many under warrantee, and this may have sunk the company. I've had the 1 and the 2 at various points, and thought them very nice speakers, perhaps a little sweeter at the high end than the standard EPI/Genesis models.
And to Dave Muell: I think PhaseTech may have started on Long Island or New Jersey, but aren't they in Florida now? Which is certainly east coast, but a different version of it.
That reminds me -- Empire used to claim that they invented the soft dome tweeter -- could the guy who ran Phase Tech (whose name eludes me now (Bill Hecht pops in to my head)) and who apparently really did invent it, have been working for Empire?
 
Yeah -- my AK activity goes up when I'm on break. Didn't realise you were tracking it...
 
Zombie thread!

KLH 17
KLH 6
Original Large Advent (leaving)
A-150 (now gone)
AR-3a
AR-2ax (gone)
Epi 400
Genesis 1
Genesis 10
Baby Advent
A-25. New England via Denmark?

Dahlquist DQ-10. Not sure if thats NE
Dahlquist DQ-30 Probably not NE, but maybe?

And my Sony SS-m7 kind of sound like really really evolved A-150s. Sorta. But much better.

Cheers!
 
Back
Top Bottom