• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New 2 channel gear from Yamaha

I can't compare something I have yet to see or hear..
you can see it.
Having said that, even if the technology was the same it would still be an improvement over the vintage.
now that is just a silly, unsubstantiated blanket statement- utterly meaningless.
Capacitors, Transistors and the like have much improved in 30 years.
A statement like that without any referencing or specifics is just an opinion. Some components have got better, some worse, others just aren't made anymore due to cost. Audio specific components are disappearing like wildfire.
So I would have to disagree with restorer-john for that fact alone.
By all means disagree, but present something useful in your defence.
As far a microprocessors, doesn't look like it. I'd also be concerned about it being discrete design and not a bunch of IC's everywhere.
OK, it most likely DOES have a microprocessor. It has a remote control for a start and that requires at least a microcontroller with its associated clock and noise and I will bet the speaker protection/overdrive uses the same main cpu as the remote as they always seem to do these days. You don't think Yamaha is going to scrap its RS remote ICs for this model do you? My bet is you will find a micro for the remote, speaker protection and input switching. You will probably also find a few ICs in the line stage too.
 
Quality gear always costs......the B-2 cost high in its days, so did M, MX etc. I paid $2400 for my CX-1000 and MX-1000 combo. Paid close to $1600 for my NS-1000X. Considering that, these items are pretty fairly priced. Bear in mind, the MX-D1 and YPC-1 combo would cost you way more and they too deserve every bit of the price considering people are willing to pay way way high for so called esoteric hyped trash.
 
I'll take one of these trm modified A-S2000's.

I was thinking just the same, somthing like this:
YamahaA-S2000fix.jpg
 

Looks nice but I like it just the way Yamaha is offering it. The lack of meters never degraded the sound of my CA-1000. I have always liked the simplicity of the A-1's face but never got my hands on one. I also wish the silver face was sold in the U.S.
 
Unlike some Tokyo by night designs which shall remain unnamed for propriety's sake, Yamaha has always been minimalistic in its design philosophy. Their successor to the MX-1000 namely the MX-1 has no LEDs, never bothered me a bit, I keep the LEDs on my MX-1000 off anyways. I am fully confident my NS-1000 speakers as well as Canton Ergo would easily handle the power. Yamaha's minimalism has always appealed to me. Even in their HT receivers or their pre amps like CX-1 where everything is hidden, they also did away with the loudness and tone control turn over, in the YPC-1, its even more minimal with a volume and balance, nothing else and it looks heavenly.
 
Unlike some Tokyo by night designs which shall remain unnamed for propriety's sake, Yamaha has always been minimalistic in its design philosophy. Their successor to the MX-1000 namely the MX-1 has no LEDs, never bothered me a bit, I keep the LEDs on my MX-1000 off anyways. I am fully confident my NS-1000 speakers as well as Canton Ergo would easily handle the power. Yamaha's minimalism has always appealed to me. Even in their HT receivers or their pre amps like CX-1 where everything is hidden, they also did away with the loudness and tone control turn over, in the YPC-1, its even more minimal with a volume and balance, nothing else and it looks heavenly.

I have only two Yamaha components, the DSP-A1, and a HT-5660 (or something.)

I don't know which caps, diodes, ic's, rectifiers, transistors, etc... is in the A1. And, I don't particularly care. This thing is built like the proverbial tank and has never let me down. I cannot see parting with it.

All I know is that it has been the heart of my HT ever since I bought it new in '98. It got raves in the mags it was reviewed in. At the time, it did everything, and, except for HDMI, it still does.

Same goes for the receiver. Maybe not built as well as the A1, and no metal faceplate, but top sound and features for not a lot of money, relatively speaking...
 
The DSP-A1 is among my all time favorites, unlike other HT amps, this one is quite musical with a very good phono section as well.
 
I am almost tempted to get one from Japan just to test it, pull it apart and decide what I think if it. Unless it has a minimum of NO surface mount components in it, no opamps in any signal path and caps of at least nichicon muse KZ series or equivalent along with custom wound psu caps, it is just a token attempt at high end 2 channel. I highly doubt you will see a laser trimmed volume pot, triple paralleled output stage and a fet input high gain voltage amp and passive line stage like a real 70s/80s high end japanese amp. For $2000 it can't have much more than a single transformer, 4 caps and a pair of mirror imaged power amps in a nice box and the ubiquitous remote. Nice looking, but give me the real stuff anyday. A pioneer A91D or an SA9800 would eat it for breakfast as would a big 80s sony integrated. Yamaha's own integrateds from the 80s would also kill it performance wise. The components, power supplies and level of design was in a different league and, Retro renaissance or not, we will never see the R&D dollars being poured into statement products the way they were then.
I could go into my store room and pull out 20 amps that would outlast and outperform that unit and I probably paid less than $2000 for the lot.
 
"A pioneer A91D or an SA9800 would eat it for breakfast as would a big 80s sony integrated. Yamaha's own integrateds from the 80s would also kill it performance wise."

John, a serious question... Would the 80's integrateds (or any 70's or 80's amp) still measure today as when new, generally speaking?
Thanks.
 
Well guys, go check the brochure out and decide. I love the specifications. the 120watt is achieved at 1kHz and the amazing distortion level of 10%! The 190 watts is the same at a mind blasting 10%. Phono deviation is equally as crap at 20-20 within 0.5dB WOW thats high end (not). S/N is an abysmal 98dB. Separation is 54dB at 10kHz on a line input- very ordinary for a 'balanced' design. She aint a DC amp and have look at those ICs for the line stages, the phono preamps. Caps are a standard nichicon fine gold. The whole thing is two core double insulated because they are scared earthing will upset the S/N even more. Bias and Offset pots are not even multiturn, so EW will be replacing them in a few years. Come on Yamaha, the phono EQ is not balanced and yet a phono cartridge is one of the true opportunities for a wholy balanced system and you wasted the opportunity and put in an ordinary RIAA stage! The caps pictured are 22,000uF caps, not 24,000uF unless they are adding another 2,000 for the voltage stage caps- likely. Honestly guys, there is nothing groundbreaking here- just a concept (the fully balanced NPN output stage) that has probably been on he shelf for 20+ years and this seemed as good reason as any to build a few.
 
outshined- yes. They measure just as good . Dont let anyone con you into believing anything else. I test gear every day. I am now doing before and after tests especially when replacing aging caps and I am yet to measure any difference in linearity, distortion or power output unless I have replaced clearly faulty components. I am just about to do another big luxman integrated all the way through with KZ series nichicons and will be interested to see if I get any improvement in measured performance. Personally it is only my desire for completeness that is resulting in me replacing all (about 50) the caps with matched value KZs. It is for my dad and I have matched every resistor, cap and transistor (hfe) to within 1% with original manufacturer components where possible and superior ones where not possible.
 
Its not about numbers, Yamaha won't jeopardize their name with a high end receiver, their MX-D1 didn't disappoint and it was a digital amp and I am positive, neither would this.
 
Well guys, go check the brochure out and decide. I love the specifications. the 120watt is achieved at 1kHz and the amazing distortion level of 10%! The 190 watts is the same at a mind blasting 10%. Phono deviation is equally as crap at 20-20 within 0.5dB WOW thats high end (not). S/N is an abysmal 98dB. Separation is 54dB at 10kHz on a line input- very ordinary for a 'balanced' design. She aint a DC amp and have look at those ICs for the line stages, the phono preamps. Caps are a standard nichicon fine gold. The whole thing is two core double insulated because they are scared earthing will upset the S/N even more. Bias and Offset pots are not even multiturn, so EW will be replacing them in a few years. Come on Yamaha, the phono EQ is not balanced and yet a phono cartridge is one of the true opportunities for a wholy balanced system and you wasted the opportunity and put in an ordinary RIAA stage! The caps pictured are 22,000uF caps, not 24,000uF unless they are adding another 2,000 for the voltage stage caps- likely. Honestly guys, there is nothing groundbreaking here- just a concept (the fully balanced NPN output stage) that has probably been on he shelf for 20+ years and this seemed as good reason as any to build a few.

The 120wpc rating is odd considering Yamaha's customary conservatism. I suspect the marketing dept is responsible for it. From what I've read, the A-S2000 is 90 wpc in 8 Ω 20-20khz with 0.01 distortion. Signal to noise is 120 dB.

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/av/products/hf/as2000.html

http://ifa.yamaha-online.de/pages/en/products/hifi/a-s2000.php?lang=EN
 
Unlike some Tokyo by night designs which shall remain unnamed for propriety's sake, Yamaha has always been minimalistic in its design philosophy. Their successor to the MX-1000 namely the MX-1 has no LEDs, never bothered me a bit, I keep the LEDs on my MX-1000 off anyways. I am fully confident my NS-1000 speakers as well as Canton Ergo would easily handle the power. Yamaha's minimalism has always appealed to me. Even in their HT receivers or their pre amps like CX-1 where everything is hidden, they also did away with the loudness and tone control turn over, in the YPC-1, its even more minimal with a volume and balance, nothing else and it looks heavenly.
The A-S2000 looks great without meters too. :D
 
Back
Top Bottom