• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New 2 channel gear from Yamaha

Regardless of specs and all the other BS I still think its a nice piece and definitely a step in the right direction. Its refreshing not seeing 7+ sets of speaker terminals on the back of something and functions that aren't translated into 1's & 0's. I know what I'd rather have my kids to be talking about restoring in a forum 30 years from now.

:yes::yes::yes:
 
Any serious buyers out there for either or both of these units? Let me know via PM and I'll see if I can work out good deal on pricing from a dealer/friend who carries Yamaha. Am sure he would rather sell six as opposed to one or two or none.
 
Well guys, go check the brochure out and decide. I love the specifications. the 120watt is achieved at 1kHz and the amazing distortion level of 10%! The 190 watts is the same at a mind blasting 10%. Phono deviation is equally as crap at 20-20 within 0.5dB WOW thats high end (not). S/N is an abysmal 98dB. Separation is 54dB at 10kHz on a line input- very ordinary for a 'balanced' design. She aint a DC amp and have look at those ICs for the line stages, the phono preamps. Caps are a standard nichicon fine gold. The whole thing is two core double insulated because they are scared earthing will upset the S/N even more. Bias and Offset pots are not even multiturn, so EW will be replacing them in a few years. Come on Yamaha, the phono EQ is not balanced and yet a phono cartridge is one of the true opportunities for a wholy balanced system and you wasted the opportunity and put in an ordinary RIAA stage! The caps pictured are 22,000uF caps, not 24,000uF unless they are adding another 2,000 for the voltage stage caps- likely. Honestly guys, there is nothing groundbreaking here- just a concept (the fully balanced NPN output stage) that has probably been on he shelf for 20+ years and this seemed as good reason as any to build a few.

These specs are definitely nothing to write home about, and, I'm a little surprised too. I am one who believes most modern amps (SS) sound so close that it's not really a factor for me.

But, 10% distortion at 1KHz may be audible under certain conditions. Yamaha can do better, especially for $2k.
 
Mark B- the specification lists the AS200 S/N clearly at 98dB. 120dB is dreaming for an integrated amp. It is more likely one IC in the volume section 'may' have a 120dB potential, but that is just marketing hype (I saw tha bit too, but it is contradicted on the specs which are on the back of the brochure).
Agreed it is nice to see the token Retro component from Yamaha to put a warm feeling in our collective hearts, but it isn't anything special
 
Looks promising. I like the black version too! Looks like the side panels are rosewood too, my favorite!
 

Attachments

  • a-s2000b.jpg
    a-s2000b.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 49
I've had a hard look at the internal brochure shot and I have the following comments:

The main preamp board is COVERED in surface mount and one end if it is exposed horizontally to the atmosphere- great if you live by the sea or are a smoker. Surface mount and dust/dirt/moisture are a nightmare. Hopefully a cover will be on the production units.

The unit is micro controlled and yet there is no mention of a cpu shutoff system to make the unit truly quiet. Notice the 'diagnostic port cutout in the front panel top edge for those who thought it wouldn't have a micro.
Personally I hate audio gear with a computer in it. Remote can be done without a micro and so can protection so why use it? Because it is cheap.

The toggle switches look like bent aluminium plate, not solid. see the pic. Now that is cheap, unless it is a prototype and I will forgive them..

There is a missing regulator/heatsink on the power supply board (see the pic) which suggests there is another 'higher spec' model, most likely a D/A equipped model in the pipeline or already available in Japan for home market sales only.

I would bet the small controls are plastic, the volume and selector aluminium, and the toggle is aluminium plate over plastic. The side panels appear solid which is a nice touch.

Those DEC speaker relays are notorious for trouble- in premium Yamaha gear they used to tie two small magnets either side of the relays to dampen them- notice no magnets.

It is a nice looking unit, I'll give them that, but $2000?? Come on. $899 maybe but that is pushing it. At least it looks like it 'might' be coming out of a Japanese factory.
 
here are the relevant pics
 

Attachments

  • missing_reg.jpg
    missing_reg.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 68
  • diagnostic_jack.jpg
    diagnostic_jack.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 62
  • AS2000_sw.jpg
    AS2000_sw.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 60
That power switch lever does look pretty sad.

The competing integrated amps would be ones from folks like Arcam, etc. Most of them weigh in at about 25 pounds. With the Yamaha, I think you get pretty much what you pay for. I am a bit surprised by the Max Power rating at 10% THD. I would have thought that the amp would have a bit more head-room. Perhaps the new design they are tauting has a limitation on this. Is a 90wpc amp and not 120wpc, as I recall reading.

Still.......all-in-all, a lovely looking piece of gear. But, I do like the t-r-m take on the meters. Personally, I prefer the CDP. But, it is two months too late for me.
 
Like I said, we are talking the Creek's 15 pounds producing 90wpc and Yamaha's 50 pounds making the same thing. For my $$, weight = good in stereo.
 
Mark B I see the same numbers as you; Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.01% (90W, 8ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, CD BAL to Speaker out), on Yamahas homepage.

Restorer-john do you have a link to this brochure?
 
Specs, schmecks.... some of the most highly regarded "high-end" pieces have specs that are nothing to write home about...

I believe that gear is not so much the sum of the parts as it is about the care of design and implementation of said parts.
 
Specs, schmecks.... some of the most highly regarded "high-end" pieces have specs that are nothing to write home about...

I believe that gear is not so much the sum of the parts as it is about the care of design and implementation of said parts.


:yes:

I wouldn't think Yamaha who made high powered amps with lowest distrotion and other amazing specs in the past would introduce this amp with these numbers for no apparent reason.
 
It is a 90wpc amp. Why is anyone focusing on its output at 120wpc? Stupid of Yamaha to put this number into its brochure. Looks like a great piece of gear and wish I could own one.
 
:yes:

I wouldn't think Yamaha who made high powered amps with lowest distrotion and other amazing specs in the past would introduce this amp with these numbers for no apparent reason.

There are many that would argue those ultimate low distortion specs are merely the result of massive feedback, and that those feedback loops are detrimental to some aspects of the sound.
 
It is a 90wpc amp. Why is anyone focusing on its output at 120wpc? Stupid of Yamaha to put this number into its brochure. Looks like a great piece of gear and wish I could own one.

It is odd they would put in the spec.

However, I wonder what the distortion specs would be on many of the favorite vintage amps when driven to almost 40% more than the normal rated output? That 10% might look pretty darn good by comparison.... :scratch2:

Take a look at a distortion vs. power plot of the typical SS amp. Once you get only a little past the rated output, distortion vs. power goes into a nearly vertical slope.
 
There are many that would argue those ultimate low distortion specs are merely the result of massive feedback, and that those feedback loops are detrimental to some aspects of the sound.

Agreed, thats why specs have had no bearing on the choice of my equipment, my ears have and I wish I would get this piece of fine Yamaha gear and add it to my collection as well but before that I would like to add the mighty MX-D1 and YPC-1 combo first, its one of the few real high power amp which has excellent tonality and control so it manages to sound musical and composed even when pushed near its limit of 500Wrms. By the way Yamaha is probably on to something with this distortion figure, probably tube like sound ;)
 
Back
Top Bottom