• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New music doesn't all suck, does it?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^well that's not Rap, it's Metal and starting out nice. See, my minds not closed.

Edit: but has now morphed into 'Metal'. Not quite fit for a 70-year-old sorry.
 
I don't think that there will ever be a time when there aren't some musicians creating stuff that appeals to me. I just don't see creative brilliance having any kind of sell by date. That being said though, I do think that the current era isn't really pushing the most thoughtful, brilliant artists to the forefront in the way that previous eras seemed to do. I really have to search well below the radar these days to find music that I click with.

Here's some stuff that I dig that though they may not be brand new, is at least "new millennium era" and are younger artists:





And there's lots of newer jazz stuff that I dig, Here's just one thing:

 
Um that was not metal not one bit lol but it sure as hell wasn’t rap either Imo.


Audiofreak71
Whatever it was it lasted about 2 minutes.

Thinking back a few years I remember the few Windham Hill recordings we had didn't get much playtime either. 35 years down the road and 60 more WH lp's there just wonderful. We old folks are more flexible than you suspect. I did give 20 Led Zepplin records away.
 
I don't think that there will ever be a time when there aren't some musicians creating stuff that appeals to me. I just don't see creative brilliance having any kind of sell by date. That being said though, I do think that the current era isn't really pushing the most thoughtful, brilliant artists to the forefront in the way that previous eras seemed to do. I really have to search well below the radar these days to find music that I click with.

Here's some stuff that I dig that though they may not be brand new, is at least "new millennium era" and are younger artists:





And there's lots of newer jazz stuff that I dig, Here's just one thing:

I've liked Little Dragon before Little Dragon! Yuki Nagano did some vocals with a band called KOOP.
https://youtu.be/V9A1JLlwUaM
 
Whatever it was it lasted about 2 minutes.

Thinking back a few years I remember the few Windham Hill recordings we had didn't get much playtime either. 35 years down the road and 60 more WH lp's there just wonderful. We old folks are more flexible than you suspect. I did give 20 Led Zepplin records away.
Yeah I hear you, we like what we like and that’s ok. I just find getting into my old age that I’m finding lots of music and artists that I actually like, it’s pretty cool to me and remind when I was a kid discovering all the different genres of music.


Audiofreak71
 
A little past the cutoff date, but I just gotta throw these guys out there. Not too many bands can hold it together like these guy's do live...and with Lo Barnes on backups and shaky-things, I'm in heaven...

 
Try Bandcamp there is lots of new music and new artists. All types of music if one can't find something there then music may not be there thing.
 
I think there’s lots of good current music out there, but the stuff that I would find appealing is usually buried. Over the air radio plays awful crap that I cannot stand. If liking that garbage is moving forward, I don’t wanna go. I’m talking typical pop-music, rap, Michael Buble, whatever it is that they play in Kohl’s stores, and of course, modern country music.
I kind of got into country music in the late 80’s & early 90’s. It was a strange time. My father, who was in his 60’s at the time and I both liked some of the same music. He became a huge Alan Jackson fan. His all-time favorites were still the classic country & western artists like Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, & Marty Robbins. My oldest sister ( 69 yrs) told me that she asked Santa Claus for a record player and a Beatles album for Christmas in 1964. She got a record player and a Marty Robbins album.
I find I like a lot of that classic country music now. My sister also said that listening to Alan Jackson’s song “Drive” reminded her of my father and makes her cry. A lot of songs stir emotion in people and I think that’s one reason we like them. The only emotion I get from Justin Timberlake or Katy Perry is annoyance…well, maybe something else from Katy if I turn the sound down-LOL. Listen to what you enjoy.
 
I roll why eyes when I hear people say music isn't good anymore. There is more good music now than there ever has been! Tradeoff is that there's also more bad music now than there ever has been. Streaming music services have made it easy to find new music I like. I can't even keep up. I also like to start sending good friends obscure songs I think they'd like and ask them to send one back. I've kept up some of these back-and-forths for years

Here's one with an old school feel that I really dig
 
Back
Top Bottom