• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

New music doesn't all suck, does it?

that proves nothing except they or you said it, and i will repeat , since you chose to ignore it, tamer times.

and as far as it being called rock later...50s is now called oldies and 60s is now called classic rock..

.i wonder if it's because others realized it should not be called rock n roll:dunno:
 
Way more 'Boring' times. It's Dullsville.
i think it would have really sucked to live back then. no space invaders. no defender.

good music wouldn't have mattered because there was no technology to make it sound good for recording or playback for listening. (no walkman to listen to when playing defender either)

strictly my opinion on what i consider good. it no way do i mean to say my way or the highway.
 
I'm sure every gen has said that. I'm 64 and prefer to live in the present. Living in the past serves no purpose, for me. I don't even care to look at old photos much. Been there, done that.

I don't live in the past. No time for it.

But it sure was A LOT MORE FUN!

I'm not a photo guy myself - never have been.

2020 in America is not fun. It's just tear-jerking boring beyond belief really.
 
Last edited:
I'm sure every gen has said that. I'm 64 and prefer to live in the present. Living in the past serves no purpose, for me. I don't even care to look at old photos much. Been there, done that.

i like thinking back on the 90s myself, i wish all my photos had survived because i painted some badass cars, went to gobs of car shows and had 10 years of bike week & biketoberfest. i lived in daytona and there is no other place in the world i would have rather spent my 20s! 90s metal and grunge were "IT" for me and still are. pay sucked but things were still cheap.
 
It's pretty organic. Based on gigging. What got disrupted was the media / distribution side. The suits no longer control it. MTV blew things up in the 1980s (bye bye Classic Rock). College / Alternative radio blew things up in the 1990s (bye bye hair bands). And the internet blew things up the the 2000s (bye bye gatekeepers). It's always driven by the young and resisted by the old.

It's a Norman Rockwell image for sure, were he to illustrate the music industry. The enraged young, how quaint.

I tend to believe my lying eyes. I see corporatized young. The music industry is controlled by the old and fed to the young and given the perception of choice. Outside of this brave new autotune world there is a lot happening, it just takes a lot of work to sift thru it all, as I noted in my first post.
 
It's a Norman Rockwell image for sure, were he to illustrate the music industry. The enraged young, how quaint.

I tend to believe my lying eyes. I see corporatized young. The music industry is controlled by the old and fed to the young and given the perception of choice. Outside of this brave new autotune world there is a lot happening, it just takes a lot of work to sift thru it all, as I noted in my first post.
The only time I hear autotune is when a college station has to stick in some rap (a requirement of the FCC). Then you'll hear guys alternate between tough guy rapping and wimpy autotune whining. Each situation is different. I get that.
 
this thread proved to me 90% of new music SUCKS:thumbsdown:

Have you heard of Sturgeons Law and Revelation?

The original Sturgeon's law
Sturgeon deemed Sturgeon's law to mean "nothing is always absolutely so" in the story "The Claustrophile" in a 1956 issue of Galaxy.[1] The second adage, variously rendered as "ninety percent of everything is crud" or "ninety percent of everything is crap", was known as "Sturgeon's Revelation", formulated as such in his book review column for Venture[2] in 1957. However, almost all modern uses of the term Sturgeon's law refer to the second,[citation needed] including the definition listed in the Oxford English Dictionary.[3]

The only time I hear autotune is when a college station has to stick in some rap (a requirement of the FCC). Then you'll hear guys alternate between tough guy rapping and wimpy autotune whining. Each situation is different. I get that.

Requirement? Uhhh, no. :no:

If it's a true college station the DJ's are liable to play whatever they like whenever they want. That you may not like everything they play is a given. :)

I'm not fond of 90% of rap. However, there are some selections here and there that I find appealing. In the inner-city rap is what the majority of males younger than ~40 or so listen to exclusively. Walking around my neighborhood I hear more of it than you can shake a stick at.

Familiarity does sometimes breed contempt. :D
 
Have you heard of Sturgeons Law and Revelation?

The original Sturgeon's law
Sturgeon deemed Sturgeon's law to mean "nothing is always absolutely so" in the story "The Claustrophile" in a 1956 issue of Galaxy.[1] The second adage, variously rendered as "ninety percent of everything is crud" or "ninety percent of everything is crap", was known as "Sturgeon's Revelation", formulated as such in his book review column for Venture[2] in 1957. However, almost all modern uses of the term Sturgeon's law refer to the second,[citation needed] including the definition listed in the Oxford English Dictionary.[3]



Requirement? Uhhh, no. :no:

If it's a true college station the DJ's are liable to play whatever they like whenever they want. That you may not like everything they play is a given. :)

I'm not fond of 90% of rap. However, there are some selections here and there that I find appealing. In the inner-city rap is what the majority of males younger than ~40 or so listen to exclusively. Walking around my neighborhood I hear more of it than you can shake a stick at.

Familiarity does sometimes breed contempt. :D
It was a joke. These stations have to refile with the FCC and include bits about how they're serving the community. There seems to be a go-to rapper called "Kendrick" somebody that they use. Maybe because he swears the least. They have rap dedicated shows. But in normal rotation the occasional rap sticks out like a sore thumb. It seems to be worse on the European stations. I don't mind "eclectic" but do it in large blocks so I can change the channel.
 
As someone who streams, I appreciate all the suggestions. And as someone who likes a wide variety of jazz, blues, rock, Americana and eclectic for lack of a better word...and now a looked down upon generational Boomer, LOL ,one of my favorites to add to the mix: Fantastic Negrito

By the way, the Who album in 2019 'WHO' is excellent for all the people that like rock.
 
Back
Top Bottom