• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Nightwisher's New Luxman's Room and Beyond

New photos:

20200308_152339.jpg


20200308_152357.jpg


20200308_152421.jpg


Broke out the old Boston Acoustics VR-20s. They still sound very nice.
20200318_115214.jpg
 
During the extended isolation lately, I've been playing with different speakers in my computer system. I traded out the Onkyo D-062AXs for my NEAR 10MIIs. The NEARs sound fantastic, however they were getting some weird distortion at some points- I think the ferrofluid suspension may have started to dry up since they're 20 years old and have barely been played. More investigation needed. The next speaker has the Mission 732s. I really enjoyed those speakers, however I had already tendered a deal with a friend for them. A recently picked up pair of Infinity RS3s took their place once he got them. Enjoyed those speakers too, not as much as the Missions or NEARs though.

New speaker fever for the setup had started when I first thought of moving the Onkyos out. But I really wanted something that would move the system up to the #2/#3 status that it should have in the rankings since the Luxman C-02 and M-02 are now in the system. I'm also trying to sit in front of the computer more and explore my digital library deeper.

Canton Chrono 502.2:
I researched a lot of bookshelf speakers ~$300 pair and under. Was tempted to go back to KEF or try NHTs, but I found these $1000 speakers discounted below $300 on Accessories4Less brand new. Reviews suggested they weren't the best value at $1k but at $300 with tax they're a steal. They have very full, tight bass and imaging for their size. A neutral, but slightly delicate ("polite") treble similar to the NEARs and the Missions. Very nice vocals - definitely pop more than the rest of the speakers I've had here. So far very impressed and in the top 5 ranking and climbing for what I own. Highly recommended.

Obviously not the best positioning, but they sound very nice here.

20200410_125804.jpg


20200410_121930.jpg


20200410_122106.jpg


20200410_122642.jpg


20200410_125758.jpg


20200410_130557.jpg
 
Last edited:
I put my Pioneer Elite A-35R in the living room today. It's a very nice-sounding little amp on my DQ-10s. Nice detail and bass is very articulate. I'm going to keep it. Used the box to ship something off on BarterTown.

20200411_171826.jpg
 
Last edited:
Lots of moving and shaking today:

I traded my Marantz SR6000DC and Sanyo Plus Q25 turntable for these KEF Q150s. I kind of missed my old Q100s and LS50s, so when he offered me them, I was eager to get some Uni-Qs back in my wheelhouse. I put them in my computer system and they sound really great like I remember. The Cantons will go back into the system, though, because they're the better speakers. The Q150s have a more laid back sound than the 100s (which could be bright at times), but still suffer from the bit of midrange suckout they have, which was more noticeable switching them in for the Cantons. Bass is plentiful. They still shine in the imaging department. Still quite a nice sound and keepers.

20200423_140840.jpg


Scored my first Bowers & Wilkins from the original owner doing some spring cleaning, the venerable DM602s along with a CC6 center. They sound really nice, with quite a warm sound for metal dome tweeters. Imaging is excellent. Also keepers, which will replace the Paradigm 3se's in the lineup that I sold to the guy I did the Marantz-KEF trade with. I also got another Miller & Kreisel sub with the set (my third in the last year or so).

20200423_203524.jpg


Also scored these Infinity RS-8s along with some other goodies, since our thrifts are opening back up. Not keeping them long, but I was happy to get them since I do like the RS3s I have quite a bit.

20200423_123225.jpg


I also played the Cantons in the main system for a bit. They're definitely in the Top 3 of my best speakers. The detail and imaging is amazing for what these are selling for now. The Revels and Lynnfields still shine at the top, but these aren't far off.

20200423_221556.jpg
 
Last edited:
New pickups:

I've been trading with one of my local guys for turntables. I got a Yamaha YP-701 and a Sony PS-4750. Both really nice tables, still deciding where they fall in my lineup (behind my Luxman PX-101).

20200509_131401.jpg


20200519_224557.jpg


I've been on a Danish binge lately by pure chance. I scored Bang & Olufsen Beovox 3702s. The midranges had been replaced, so I found replacements. They sound very nice now. Also got a bottle opener to go with my growing B&O collection.

I also found a pair of fairly rare Jamo Magic 6. Sound quite good after refoam. Really unique design - the front face pops off and everything is mounted to it.

20200517_173129.jpg
20200517_220543.jpg
20200523_120341.jpg


20200603_133207.jpg


20200601_215606.jpg


Also found some fairly rare Marantz SP2366 towers. Not amazing, but unique and above average.

20200522_144107.jpg


Also traded for this sweet Realistic SA-2000 amp and TM-900 tuner. My friend put tasteful LEDs in there. Has a unique variable loudness control.

20200603_201553.jpg


Current picture of what I'm playing with in my dining room, Acoustic Profiles and JVCs in addition to the new B&Os and Jamos.

20200601_221912.jpg
 
Last edited:
New pair of main speakers:

Usher BE-718 "Tiny Dancers"

I bought these locally after hearing all the rave reviews about them and a guy I know had a pair. I initially wasn't sure what I was going to do with them, but once I got them in the listening room, I knew they would replace the Revels. The tweeters are smoother, yet still very detailed. Mids are very similar ("vocalist in the room"). The bass is tight and deep, with great depth. The bass from the Revels was too much for my room (even after trying some correction), and many recordings lost some image depth because of this, but the Ushers are perfect.

I sold the Revels after having them listed for a mere 3 days - a guy drove 7 hours round trip from Georgia to get them. As much as I loved the Revels, the Ushers perfect the sound I want and don't break my back.

I have them on some metal stands with spikes I found cheap. I'll probably eventually get something a bit more solid after playing around with what I've got currently.

Returning to the music :rockon::music:

20200611_215941.jpg


20200608_153410.jpg


20200608_151422.jpg
 
New pair of main speakers:

Usher BE-718 "Tiny Dancers"

I bought these locally after hearing all the rave reviews about them and a guy I know had a pair. I initially wasn't sure what I was going to do with them, but once I got them in the listening room, I knew they would replace the Revels. The tweeters are smoother, yet still very detailed. Mids are very similar ("vocalist in the room"). The bass is tight and deep, with great depth. The bass from the Revels was too much for my room (even after trying some correction), and many recordings lost some image depth because of this, but the Ushers are perfect.

I sold the Revels after having them listed for a mere 3 days - a guy drove 7 hours round trip from Georgia to get them. As much as I loved the Revels, the Ushers perfect the sound I want and don't break my back.

I have them on some metal stands with spikes I found cheap. I'll probably eventually get something a bit more solid after playing around with what I've got currently.

Returning to the music :rockon::music:

View attachment 1901918

View attachment 1901920

View attachment 1901921
Big fan of the Usher CP-777DMD, so nice find. Not surprised you prefer them to the Revel.
 
Scored some nice Marantz this morning:

Marantz 5220 cassette deck
Marantz 6300 turntable

These were posted cheap about an hour and a half from me last night. Couldn't make the drive last night, so ended up in a slight bidding war. Made sure I was nearby when they woke up this morning, got them, still quite cheap.

The 6300 works perfectly and came with a good Acutex 315 cartridge. Not the best table I own, but perhaps the prettiest - I've wanted one for a while (even before I started watching Bosch). Probably 7.5/10 condition overall. Tried out the Grado on it with good results. The Acutex sounded quite good too, just a bit overstated in the bass.

The 5220 lights up pretty but will need belts. The motors sound like they're okay. Very cool looking unit, I've wanted one for a while. Eventually this and the 6300 will make it into the Marantz system I'm keeping at my parent's house.

The Kenwood was included. I'll recoup probably 10% or so from it.

Still love the Ushers :rockon::music:

20200801_095924.jpg


20200801_102935.jpg


20200801_103020.jpg


20200801_104948.jpg


20200801_105000.jpg


20200801_114456.jpg
 
Last edited:
Because I've been busy the past few months, I didn't post the last turntable that was in that spot, a super cool:

Aiwa AP-D50 turntable

Super cool turntable designed to be used without lifting the cover. Unfortunately, the coolest feature, the tray eject doesn't work. However, the other cool features such as the automatic play, manual cueing lever (left to right), and stylus brush work fine. The original Aiwa cartridge sounds quite good. Well built table overall. Resonance dampening isn't so great though.

20200620_102932.jpg


20200620_102943.jpg


20200620_103414.jpg
 
New pair of main speakers:

Usher BE-718 "Tiny Dancers"

I bought these locally after hearing all the rave reviews about them and a guy I know had a pair. I initially wasn't sure what I was going to do with them, but once I got them in the listening room, I knew they would replace the Revels. The tweeters are smoother, yet still very detailed. Mids are very similar ("vocalist in the room"). The bass is tight and deep, with great depth. The bass from the Revels was too much for my room (even after trying some correction), and many recordings lost some image depth because of this, but the Ushers are perfect.

I sold the Revels after having them listed for a mere 3 days - a guy drove 7 hours round trip from Georgia to get them. As much as I loved the Revels, the Ushers perfect the sound I want and don't break my back.

I have them on some metal stands with spikes I found cheap. I'll probably eventually get something a bit more solid after playing around with what I've got currently.

Returning to the music :rockon::music:

View attachment 1901918

View attachment 1901920

One of your better scores imho. An exceptional speaker in a sea of many good speakers.
 
What didn't get posted earlier was my reply to your Usher post. So I will try again. As you wade through many good speakers in your journey these are standouts. It is a reference quality small speaker. They may be removed from your system for periods of time but you will keep them for a long while. IMHO A great score for almost anyone's system.
 
What didn't get posted earlier was my reply to your Usher post. So I will try again. As you wade through many good speakers in your journey these are standouts. It is a reference quality small speaker. They may be removed from your system for periods of time but you will keep them for a long while. IMHO A great score for almost anyone's system.
Yeah they still continue to amaze me, even after 2 months. They really sound incredible and bring out details I've never heard before in very familiar tracks. I may find something better eventually, but I agree, I plan to keep these for a long time.
 
Updates:

Traded with one of my local guys for these Kappa 5.1 Series II. Sound very good.

20200824_131436.jpg


I also traded him for these Mirage Omni 50s about a month ago. Always wanted to try a bigger pair. Great spacious sound and detail.

20200824_151525.jpg


Traded the Mirage to someone who was downsizing for these Realistic Mach Ones. Big sound, I prefer them to other party speakers like Cerwin Vegas. New foam is on the way.

20200830_124113.jpg


Finally found a pair of Ohm Walshs locally to try out - they've been on my wishlist for a while. These are the "lowly" 1XOs, but man oh man do they sound awesome. Like instant Top 5 good, very spacious and detailed sound. Not quite as good as my Ushers, but not far behind. I was kind of missing the Mirage, but not anymore. Playing around with positioning now.

20200831_130300.jpg
 
Nice Ohms! Think I've heard they don't mind being near walls. Don't know how close. Ohm site or a phone call away for setup advice. I've got drivers upgraded by them for my C2s. Nice to have support if needed.
Some owners set them atop subs for bass reinforcement.
 
Last edited:
Updates:

Traded with one of my local guys for these Kappa 5.1 Series II. Sound very good.

View attachment 1968430

I also traded him for these Mirage Omni 50s about a month ago. Always wanted to try a bigger pair. Great spacious sound and detail.

View attachment 1968436

Traded the Mirage to someone who was downsizing for these Realistic Mach Ones. Big sound, I prefer them to other party speakers like Cerwin Vegas. New foam is on the way.

View attachment 1968431

Finally found a pair of Ohm Walshs locally to try out - they've been on my wishlist for a while. These are the "lowly" 1XOs, but man oh man do they sound awesome. Like instant Top 5 good, very spacious and detailed sound. Not quite as good as my Ushers, but not far behind. I was kind of missing the Mirage, but not anymore. Playing around with positioning now.

View attachment 1968432

My 3XO rarely leave their throne. Another great score.
 
New pickups:

Traded my Marantz 1030 for these Paradigm Mini Monitor V6. Newest Paradigms I have had, with the ridiculous "condom" woofer, but sound great.

20200911_135748.jpg


Traded my Realistic Mach Ones for these JBL Studio L830s (and some cash). Got them from the orginal owner with the original box. Sound sweet, just like the 820s I had earlier this year. Currently using them in the computer system.

20200912_105548.jpg


Picked up another pair of small JVCs, this time the SP-UX1000GR.

20200910_213016.jpg


Traded a pair of Polk 5JR for this sweet Onkyp mini system with a local AK member. Way better build quality and sound than I'd ever expect.

20200910_205829.jpg


Picked up these Bang & Olufsen Redline RL 140s from another local fellow AK member. These for sure will stay among the keepers.

20200913_122210.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom