• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Official AR Turntable Owners Thread

i had a suspicion that was yours. since most of the serial #s i've recorded came from ebay listings, i record the specs, but not owner info. very cool you've bookended my research. there is another TT to XA conversion on ebay right now. its currently in delaware, and shows hand written and dated conversion info. similarities in handwriting indicate the conversion may have been performed at the same shop as yours.



.
 

Attachments

  • tt:xa.jpg
    tt:xa.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 111
That would be my table also;
[/URL]

Hi sfrost... What is the tonearm that you put on you ARXA?... The black one?

Never mind, I just read the entire thread and see you have multiple tables.

I'm picking up an AR XB later this evening, seems to be in ok condition except for a cracked lid and tonearm rest is broken.

Thankyou Xmas 111 for your restoration guides. I don't know what I will need to do, if anything.
 
Last edited:
Just picked up an XB, here is the serial #. Have some images I'll attached later this evening.
XB034662
Anything you can tell me based on the number?
Thank you!
 
Cannot wait to see pics of your XB. For being a simple table, any AR you can find will be worth having. If you do little upgrades, it will improve the sound. Congrats on your recent purchase, and hope you have many years of musical bliss. :music:
 
Ok, so I got my AR XA this evening... The motor is running slow, I think I need to oil it, have no idea how to go about it... how do you adjust for different record speeds also? I was hoping it would plug and play, still for 95 bucks I'm not complaining, heavy platter, suspended chasis... The motor should be rock solid, If if I get it to work, so all inall a fine table...eventually. but it's my understanding I can replace the motor too if needed... This version is with two motors, one to start the main one... Also I took the base plate off and it seems like a couple of resistors are only soldered one side, hanging loose the other...don't know if this is intentional or where I would solder them back to.
 
AR XB new to me

Hi Again Everyone!
Thank you 4Play!
Looking forward to years of fun. Time to clean it up a bit, listen for a while and plan on upgrades. Will definitely be seeing Marc when he is able to! Here are the pics. Will try to get a close up of the stylus. Plays just fine, although the arm lift does not lift the arm high enough so there may be some adjustment to be done there.
Thanks again everyone, will be looking to you again for help, advice etc. although I do have a great one near me with Marc!
Here is the serial number from the earlier post, XB034662.

AR XB front left.jpg

AR XB front above 01.jpg

AR XB front right 01.jpg

AR XB front left with cover.jpg

AR XB Inner platter spindle 01.jpg
 
Last edited:
I took things apart. I see how I oil the bearing. But the motor runs slow... Amy ideas how to fix it?
 
I took things apart. I see how I oil the bearing. But the motor runs slow... Amy ideas how to fix it?

You might want to start another thread about repairing your turntable and post some pictures of the resistors you mentioned. I'm sure there are people here that will have some ideas on how to go about fixing it. One of the great things about these old AR turntables is that they are so simple and easy to work on.
 
how do you adjust for different record speeds also?

Lift off the subplatter and move the belt to a different step on the motor pulley.

I suggest going to Vinyl Engine and downloading the owner's manual:
http://www.vinylengine.com/library/acoustic-research/xa.shtml

Also, do a search of this forum. There is tons of advice on how to service an AR-XA. Pay especially close attention to postings from marcmorin. These are not difficult tables to restore.

Here's a good starting point: http://vinylnirvana.com/ar-diy-do-it-yourself/basic-service-to-an-ar-xa/
 
I thought I would post a pic of my XA I have coming. A special thank you goes out to Steve Frosten and his magic. :thmbsp:





One reason this table is special is the tonearm came on my ES-1 which was damaged. The tonearm has been repaired and is using Cardas wires. It's always good to recycle when you can.

I cannot wait to get this baby home. :banana: :music:
 
Last edited:
I thought I would post a pic of my XA I have coming. A special thank you goes out to Steve Frosten and his magic. :thmbsp:





One reason this table is special is the tonearm came on my ES-1 which was damaged. The tonearm has been repaired and is using Cardas wires. It's always good to recycle when you can.

I cannot wait to get this baby home. :banana: :music:

That is Really Nice, I kept mine stock so far..some day! LOL :D Enjoy.:yes::music:
ar_xa_1a by jleon92f, on Flickr

John.
 
Last edited:
Some of you may have seen this one, looks a bit different now, my tables are always in a state of adjustment. Has a new 10 pound platter, SOTW motor, Grace G-945 uni-pivot arm, modified polymer subchassis and VN springs.



 
Some of you may have seen this one, looks a bit different now, my tables are always in a state of adjustment. Has a new 10 pound platter, SOTW motor, Grace G-945 uni-pivot arm, modified polymer subchassis and VN springs.




Very, very nice! I always love looking looking at your AR turntables Steve. Always top notch work! I really like that platter mat as well. Can you tell us more about it?
 
very classy table! The mat looks like an Eon Tri Pad. I use the same one on my 301 and it works very well.:)
 
Steve, is that a custom built plinth, or is it one from an AR The Turntable with a custom metal or wood top deck? It is certainly a very striking turntable.
 
Back
Top Bottom