• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Open Baffle Epiphany!

Love the setup. Unfortunately my home layout is not quite right for this.

Thanks man! This setup is far from typical. I got the idea to flank a cased opening from one of Steve Deckert’s (Decware) papers.

The main thing with an open baffle setup is to get them away from rear and side walls.
 
I understand the front wall (early reflection bad - late reflection good), but why do you include the side walls?

Unless the wall is treated for first reflection (prolly most do not have room treatment) I think it’s better to try and take it more out of the equation. But, I’m not the brightest bulb in the pack…
 
D Mason (Gravity Well Of A Darkstar - 2005) and the (in)famous Visaton B200 got me started. I had 5 pairs of B200s at one time (4 bass only) and for a while just 4 in parallel. Wish now I would have kept at least 1 pair with an added phase plug.

Randy certainly has never stopped running since he picked up the ball.
 
Last edited:
Unless the wall is treated for first reflection (prolly most do not have room treatment) I think it’s better to try and take it more out of the equation.

So no more so than monopole speakers.
Dipoles have a figure 8 radiation pattern (null to the sides) and fullrange (wideband) drivers don't have the widest dispersion.
Magnepan even has a speaker (MC1) that can be mounted right on the side wall.
 
Last edited:
Changed up my bi-amp arrangement from a/b ss plate amps (24dB/Oct) to a big coil/inductor (6dB/Oct) on the subwoofer driven by a p/p tube amp. :)

Betsy Tekton.jpg
 
I understand the front wall (early reflection bad - late reflection good), but why do you include the side walls?
From what I gather from available info, in the proper setup the side and top waves are mostly cancelled thereby causing less interference with the front wave. Putting the speakers too close to the side walls would introduce reflections negating that.
I don't speak from personal experience though.
 
From what I gather from available info, in the proper setup the side and top waves are mostly cancelled thereby causing less interference with the front wave. Putting the speakers too close to the side walls would introduce reflections negating that.
I don't speak from personal experience though.

How close is too close?
 
How close is too close?
You can probably answer that question better than I.
I think 3 feet is the minimum but that's going from my bad memory. Maybe set your amp to mono, move each speaker in a different position and compare between L & R, pick the better of the two and adjust the lesser to see if you can best the other one, and repeat until you get what sounds best to you.
 
It was just one of he hotel rooms with everything moved out and they were well away from the walls IIRC.

The opposite of sit and listen for hours, they just sounded flat and boring, other speakers (Duke LeJeune's bi-pole Dream Maker was exceptional) there were much more enjoyable to me. I'm not saying they are bad speakers, but the one time I heard them they didn't even merit a, I would like to hear these again, from me.

I will give you a few months.
There still here. I rotate between 3 sets of OB speakers. Still very engaging. Can’t get enough.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1034.jpeg
    IMG_1034.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
There still here. I rotate between 3 sets of OB speakers. Still very engaging. Can’t get enough.

The picture of your GR Research speakers ended up inside my comments about another pair of OBs.

I guess I was partially right, they are not your daily drivers. ;)
 
Ad stated I swap out on a regular basis. No sense showing you the same picture again.

It's inside my post that you quoted, so it looks like I posted it with my comments.
I don't want people thinking I have lost my mind and own GR-R speakers. :yikes:
 
My woodworking skills are pretty poor. Don't own a table saw. So, went to Lowe's the other day looking for wood smaller than 4'x8' sheets. Found these 24" round 1" thick pine table tops ($20 each) and a 4' length of 2"x6" (~$4 IIRC) and some shelf brackets (~$2 each).

Cut an 11" wide section off the bottom of each table top (across the grain) resulting in ~22.5" tall baffle. Sawed the 2x6 into four pieces and glued two pieces together along the 12" sides to make two plinths that are 11" wide.

Waiting on a plunge router and circle cutting jig to be delivered. Have some 8" drivers to try in them eventually.


Screenshot 2024-11-18 at 8.31.20 PM.png
 
Back
Top Bottom