• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Open Baffle Epiphany!

Love you PG that was partly my point ......Besides peoples jaws dropping........You could move up to Lowthers and still be under that price....
 
Here are the Tang Bands on a flat baffle.

In my experience one stereo Dayton APA150 ( as shown in the picture ) is not powerful enough to drive two Alphas but more than enough to drive four Alphas wired in parallel.

Zilla Audio sold these for awhile and the TB's ran full range without a crossover. The low pass on the Dayton controlled the Alphas.

77462d1335554669-dynabel-ker-pa-med-flere-produkter-fra-tang-band-boomer-tangband.jpg
 
Is it the consensus in the DIY world that the TB's tend to be voiced a little on the laid back side?...which to me means a little lacking in the realism department...particularly with percussive content.
 
Did you ever try them with a more powerful amp? Do you think they might've come across as a little more polite than the Lowthers because of the low power you were feeding them? Maybe not as I just checked and see the Lowthers are only a few db greater in sensitivity.

I tried the TB's with an ST70 and Fisher 500 but they sounded better with the low power SET amps.
 
My PM2a's excell in the transparancy and realism spheres.

I got the TB's to see how they are different and to see if running them with the CazTech SE845 and/or the Quicksilver SET 300B amps can make them sing.

If the TB's dont't work out, it is easy enough to pull them and replace with some Lowthers. :)
 
I'm tempted to try a pair of the TBs with my Pass F5 clone. :scratch2:

I still have the Beta 12LTA's I've done nothing with since the 3-way OB build a few years ago. Curious to hear what the "more refined, musical" TB's sound like compared to them. I have some SET 300B monoblocks, as well. Never heard the Betas on either the f5 or SETs. I got some work to do.
 
The Lowthers are the most detailed of the full range drivers I've experienced. Lively for sure.

The TB's are smoother, very refined with plenty of detail. I never would have parted company with the TB's if not for the great deal on the Lowthers. Hard to justify owning both.

Sold them to a friend who loves them with his doubled up Alphas.
 
The Lowthers are the most detailed of the full range drivers I've experienced. Lively for sure.

The TB's are smoother, very refined with plenty of detail. I never would have parted company with the TB's if not for the great deal on the Lowthers. Hard to justify owning both.

Sold them to a friend who loves them with his doubled up Alphas.

Understood.....one of these days, I hope to develop the resolve and dicipline to get rid of all the excess stuff.
 
Dipole Tweeter

A question I posed on another forum: Why doesn't the OB world embrace dipole tweeters, such as the great Heil AMT ?
 
A question I posed on another forum: Why doesn't the OB world embrace dipole tweeters, such as the great Heil AMT ?

I think a better way to phrase the question is why do some in the OB world not embrace the dipole tweeter because many certainly do.
 
Michael I have never heard the 1808 I would think you are correct if its something you cant live with. I love the seamlessness of not having a tweeter on my AN8 alnico I really enjoy not having a tweeter in the mix feel it gives me a more natural uncoloured sound .... early on in this hobby I experimented with super tweeters on multi driver systems it was interesting but not for me but that's me pick your poison .....I am really happy were I am now in this hobby and feel I am on the right road for me having bounced around from speaker to speaker for many years ........I don't think there is a perfect speaker just ones that make you forget the faults....I have heard a few well regarded speakers that measure as flat as a pancake that left me unimpressed dull, distant, dry, dead are good words for it ......I love seamless detail and uncoloured music that is what going down this road has taught me I can really hear the difference in gear now these drivers present it in a way no multi driver speaker I have had can I love it its like learning to hear...Michael I would have pictured you more as a Audio Nirvana alnico 15 guy go big or go home no pun intended .......specs 1808 http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w8-1808.htm
 
Last edited:
A question I posed on another forum: Why doesn't the OB world embrace dipole tweeters, such as the great Heil AMT ?

In my case, I am going with the TB alone (except the dual 15's to augment the lows) for simplicity and sonic integrity - the AMT is a different type of driver and I am concerned about blending them in with the TB's seamlessly. Also, I want to run without passive crossovers and tri-amping presents additional complexities.

i have used AMT's on and off since the mid-1970's and respect the technology and sonic results.....just not something I want to use in this case.

YMMV.....
 
A side note.....

I would like to express my sincere appreciation to everyone contributing to this discussion.

Exploring the potential of Open Baffle speakers has really rekindled my interest and passion in trying different speakers and combinations. Rob's incredible OBLA project is a true inspiration. Poultygeist's various builds have demonstrated how we can get back to having FUN with this hobby without having to take out second mortgages on our homes. MJKing's design expertise provides a solid foundation and base for new projects. And everyone else who contributes tecnical and/or construction tips.

Thank you for your willingness to share your knowledge and time. :thmbsp:
 
Last edited:
A side note.....

I would like to express my sincere appreciation to everyone contributing to this discussion.

Exploring the potential of Open Baffle speakers has really rekindled my interest and passion in trying different speakers and combinations. Rob's incredible OBLA project is a true inspiration. Poultygeist's various builds have demonstrated how we can get back to having FUN with this hobby without having to take out second mortgages on our homes. MJKing's design expertise provides a solid foundation and base for new projects. And everyone else who contributes tecnical and/or construction tips.

Thank you for your willingness to share your knowledge and time. :thmbsp:

Glad to have you as a new convert. Here's my original TB/H-frames.

P9160017.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom