• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Oppo Digital Folding.

I can see them giving up of spinning disc transports, but headphones, too ?

I'll still buy a pair one of these days, used or on close out. I'd be voiding the warranty with mods any how.
 
Wow 9 pages full of love for Oppo products with only one meaningless dissenter. Kinda makes me wish I'd gone with an Oppo years ago when I was in the market for a decent cd player for a secondary rig. I came home with an Emotiva erc3 instead; which I am happy with but it's tough to over look all the praise for the Oppo gear here.
 
I'm an old guy too and still maintain an old vinyl library. My CD library sits on the shelf collecting dust because I've ripped all that content to my computer where I have instant access to any part of it - across multiple systems. No disc shuffling ever.

My last CD player ran $3k. My two current streamers together cost less than that and offer better performance. Yes, I do subscribe to Tidal HIFI for access to the other 40 million tracks I don't own. What's not to like about that?
Monthly bills.
 
Two observations:

1. You can rip your CDs as I have done and have instant access to any content via phone or pad device across multiple systems. Eliminating the time consuming disk shuffling gyrations is a beautiful thing.
2. While I have about 9,000 of my favorite tracks on the music server, subscribing to Tidal HIFI adds another forty million. That may not be important to you.

Thanks for the info. But neither of those appeal to me. Like I said , I like my way the best. Just me. But thanks for the thought.
 
Last edited:
If they're even available. Amazon and Crutchfield are wiped out of the big boys. Both sources were in stock on the UDP-205 at just over $1300 yesterday.
 
It seems the prices are going up on the remaining OPPO's NIB.

Amazing really ... l was thinking to myself the other day :wtf: .. when looking at the Oppo announcement on their website ... farewell? o_O ... Okay .. that's it for us, were're out of here. Reminds me of a Seinfeld episode .. George leaves on a high note.

Looks like they knew what they were doing (knew their market) and are gong to exit gracefully while selling their remaining inventory at MSRP.

 
Last edited:
Well that's the thing: I do also need the shiny disc capability! The Grateful Dead do still put out CD releases. :^)
Most of my newer Dead CDs are in HDCD format, which DOES play properly on my DV981HD and BDP-103D ...
Sound and Vision said they dropped HDCD decoders on the UDP-203/205 machines ...
 
FWIW, dbPoweramp's ripper properly decodes HDCD into 20 bits and captures as 24. Your DAC will see them as 44/24.
And that is MAC OSX software?
because I have no win machines here ...
 
But my Oppos play them directly, which was my original point.
And really, the thread is about Oppo leaving the market,
not ripping files to your computer.

Like Dave offered 5 pages back, maybe you could start your OWN thread about your solutions to ripping files and such ...
 
Last edited:
It seems the prices are going up on the remaining OPPO's NIB.

If they're even available. Amazon and Crutchfield are wiped out of the big boys. Both sources were in stock on the UDP-205 at just over $1300 yesterday.

This raises the possibility that it's all just one big marketing ploy!

They'll be back in business in a month. Genius!
 
This raises the possibility that it's all just one big marketing ploy!

They'll be back in business in a month. Genius!

Seriously doubt it ... the company reputation would be shot at that point.

More than likely ... they are just making a graceful exit ... like John Elway & Payton Manning (leave on a high note). Better to leave early on your own terms than leave when you have to go.
 
Last edited:
Sometimes I worry that people don't know I'm kidding around.

But then I have another drink and the feeling passes
index.php
 
To investors who want a 20% ROI, a company that cannot provide such isn't worth a hill of bean-counters, and is garbage.

Too bad for any hopes of a sustainable world.
 
Back
Top Bottom