• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Oppo Digital Folding.

Oppo made great stuff period. In fact they made the best Blu-ray players period, and I'll show data to prove this. And despite what some people who don't understand how digital actually works think. There are differences in quality with digital. It's not nearly the same at all. Those 1's and 0's have to be decoded. They have to be read from the disc if it's a player. There is an analog output section in it like anything else that requires capacitors. There's power supplies that can introduce noise etc. I have incredibly sensitive ears, and I can't even listen some DAC's without getting a headache. ...
Indeed, DACs always have analog circuitry that can be subject to noise, introduce distortion, etc.

In the purely digital domain before the DAC, a transport either works or it doesn't. It either delivers a bit-perfect stream of data from the disc to the DAC in a timely fashion, or it doesn't. There is no such thing as "quality" to a digital stream. In modern buffered (and re-clocked by the DAC to avoid jitter) digital systems, it is correct; or it is incorrect; or it is correct but delayed enough to allow the buffer to empty.

The latter two are forms of failure.

In short, all working purely digital systems are the same: They emit the data from the source media without even a single bit of change. Deviation from this -- emitting data that does not match the source, or delaying it enough to cause problems -- means a purely digital system is broken and not working.

Note that players with DACs are not purely digital systems. They are digital plus analog systems -- a digital transport plus a DAC, and a DAC always has an analog subsystem -- and not all analog systems are the same.

Indeed, analog systems can be very different. Working digital systems cannot be different, or they're broken.
 
Last edited:
I think you all are forgetting a couple of things. The majority of people that these companies are appealing to are young. The main focus is, and always has been, 18-34 year olds. These people don't care about physical media. They want streaming. If you were just getting into media recently, like I was again about a year ago, and had to decide between spending the money on all that gear plus going and buying the media. And being limited to just what you can afford. Or just paying a few bucks a month to stream basically anything you want, anytime you want. What would you do?

I bought a record player, and a DAC. The turntable won out for SQ. But the DAC won out for every other practical reason. I went with the DAC knowing I can buy a better one, and get better streaming equipment to make it very close to the quality of a turntable. Spend the money on either one, and most will be happy. Which is more convenient? Which takes up less space?

Which is my other point. Who has the room for all that media? I know many do, but more don't. I certainly don't. I see DVD collections on Craigslist all the time. Many of them due to people moving. The low pay is forcing people into smaller spaces. And young people will only know small spaces for many years. The world is changing, as it always does.

The way I see is. The only constant is change. And I can go kicking and screaming into the future. Or embrace the change, and make the most of it . I decided to make the most of it. I'm building a really nice streaming setup for not much money either. I'm doing a Raspberry Pi/Allo Digione with linear power supply. This can do basically any streaming service. Act as a Rune endpoint, squeezebox, etc. And even do room correction. It will go spidf out to my DAC. I'm eventually going to get a Scott Nixon Tube DAC. SQ is great with all of this gear.

And don't forget. You can get streaming services for free. I'm on a 6 month free trial of Tidal HiFi right now. So it's all about money, which affects our housing. And our changing culture. The kids drive the market. This is their world. We're just living in it.
 
The problem is they're all broken. Show me one system that gets the timing exactly right. They don't exist yet. Even in the recording studio. So it's what's broken least. And you're exactly right about the analog. That was my point. You said they're all the same (DVD players). But they're not. They are all measurably different. The digital sections are all different quality. As are the analog.
 
The problem is they're all broken. Show me one system that gets the timing exactly right. They don't exist yet. Even in the recording studio. So it's what's broken least. And you're exactly right about the analog. That was my point. You said they're all the same (DVD players). But they're not. They are all measurably different. The digital sections are all different quality. As are the analog.
DVD players are all the same in the digital domain. One DVD player driving HDMI (a purely digital interface) is the same as another, or it's broken. If it's driving an analog output (whether audio or video) then we're back in the analog domain where there are inevitably differences.

As for timing, early digital systems were subject to significant jitter (data arriving at varying times). Modern digital systems buffer the data retrieved from the source so transport jitter is eliminated. Any jitter is thus a function of the DAC, not the transport.
 
Get over it already ...

(I remember posting up something similar on the talk nets when Sansui went under for the last time.) <G>

That said, oPPo raised the bar for everyone, so their legacy will live on. Hopefully, so will a supply of spare parts. And a word of caution to owners - DO download and safeguard the latest firmware updates, just in case. If they're no longer available from Oppo, I'm sure there's an archive stashed somewhere in the web ... as I'm sure there's already a slew of DIYers coming up with alternate fixes.
Related: You should probably disconnect your Oppo from the internet as orphaned software is ripe for hacking exploits.
 
I think you all are forgetting a couple of things. The majority of people that these companies are appealing to are young. The main focus is, and always has been, 18-34 year olds. These people don't care about physical media. They want streaming.
I'm in my 50s and I don't care about physical media. I want streaming.

With that view, I'm part of a growing majority of the masses and a growing minority of (I hesitate to use the term, but...) audiophiles.

However, I respect physical media and wouldn't like to see it denied to those who enjoy it. That means strong consideration needs to be made now for how to preserve it, in order to continue enjoying it in a future that ceases to produce it.
 
[QUOTE="Bostown, post: 11485020, member: 87994" ( still trying to figure out what the hell ROON is) [/QUOTE]


Essentially roon is another glorified player that talks to a bunch of streaming devices and supposedly consolidates your playlists. Here are the limitations I have discovered:

1) Roon won't work with the 1st Generation Bluesound Node (which is the one I have)
2) Roon will connect with your iTunes Library and Playlists, but it will only sync to songs where the hard file has permissions to be played independently. In other words, only songs that physically exist on the host machine and are "unlocked" vis-a-vis iTunes permissions. It won't see or play iTunes Radio, or files downloaded as part of Apple Music. Despite Apple Music being a streaming subscription service.
3) Roon adds a bunch of "soft touch" features that are cool. Song lyrics are easy to find. Additional tracks by artists, former band, former band mates, second cousins, and next door neighbors can be explored. So, it gets you a little more engaged in the hunt for music. A bit more experiential.

Aside from that, it's not worth $20/mo or $500 Lifetime memberships. I don't see it lasting more than a year or two.
 
Related: You should probably disconnect your Oppo from the internet as orphaned software is ripe for hacking exploits.

Another advantage with my 980H ... no internet connection. I have to do firmware updates with a thumb drive
... how primitive!! <G>
 
I really like spinny disc media of all sorts and it sucks that it seems the shiny variety seems to be going away so quickly.
I do like the looks of that Brennan doodad and might just start ripping all of my music into one.
 
I really like spinny disc media of all sorts and it sucks that it seems the shiny variety seems to be going away so quickly.
I do like the looks of that Brennan doodad and might just start ripping all of my music into one.

Need to figure out how it differs from the Bluesound Vault.
 
One thing about the high end audio Oppos is that there is aftermarket support for even better sound via silver wire, if such a change is audible. Of course in some cases the wire/plug can cost more than a new SACD player. Improved power supplies are also offered.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oppo-93-95...796180?hash=item1c64d57994:g:hAQAAOSwbwlXCVsQ

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oppo-95-10...525246?hash=item5406cfa87e:g:mU8AAMXQydtTMsR-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oppo-BDP-9...045992?hash=item1c2e1275a8:g:tVUAAOSw7aBVFwZv

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oppo203-20...266062?hash=item1c79a9f64e:g:YjMAAOSwopRYb1O7
 
Sure there is. Just eliminate the "locate-the-jewel-case-remove, carry-and-insert-into-player-and-subsequently-reverse-process" part every time using a server based solution. :)

Follow the many articles by Kal Rubinson in Stereophile as to how he does it. BTW, he likes the 205 and uses it to determine whether or not to rip content for long term enjoyment.

I’d appreciate it if you would share a link to the articles by Kal Rubinson that explain his approach to server-based options. I’m always trying to learn. :)

How much time and technical skill is required to copy multi-channel Blu-ray, Ultra HD Blu-ray, and multi-channel SACDs to a server-based solution (e.g., NAS drive), and manually edit the tags (metadata) for classical recordings (i.e., composer, composition, conductor, orchestra, soloists, etc), and concatenate multiple movements of a classical composition? In my experience there are no standards for the metadata for classical music, and this poses a significant challenge for cataloging, and establishing a “relational-database type” search capability. (For example, I have a hi-res FLAC download of Beethoven Symphony 9 that was delivered with the soprano as the “artist” (vs. the composer), and this recording would require manual editing in order to be searchable.)

I agree that “server based” music can, in some cases, be more convenient. I use a very simple form. I have a number of 24bit/192kHz FLAC files that were downloaded from HDTracks. They reside on a USB drive in a simple hierarchical folder structure, and the multiple movements of a symphony are inherently organized within a folder (i.e., no extra effort on my part). I plug the USB drive into the front panel of my Oppo, and then access these downloaded files easily via the Oppo’s remote. Perhaps not the most elegant solution, but it works reliably, and is faster and more convenient than retrieving discs. (I’ve experimented with DLNA networking, but found it to be unreliable.) However, all of my HDTracks downloads are 2 channel only, and audio only (i.e., no video) – so while these downloads can have excellent audio quality, they don’t provide the same experience as multi-channel Blu-ray concert videos (or Blu-ray opera or ballet).

Because I typically listen to an entire symphony or opera at a time, retrieving and loading a disc is not an inconvenience to me. (Presumably swapping discs would be inconvenient if you listen to one short pop song at a time.) Moreover, one of the benefits of Pure Audio Blu-ray is the vast storage capacity. The entire Wagner “Der Ring des Nibelungen” (4 related operas) fits on 1 Pure Audio Blu-ray disc (at higher than CD bit rate), vs. 14 CDs. That’s 15 hours of what is basically one enormous opera, in better-than-CD quality, without having to get up to change discs.

When I want the convenience of network-based music (e.g., in order to explore music that is new to me), I use Spotify Premium or Youtube. I believe that if we arrive at a point where a streaming service provides his-res multi-channel audio, and hi-res video, of all genre, with convenient access, and flawless reliability, the need for personal “ownership” of music (whether discs or network based) will diminish. In my assessment, we’re not there yet.

Everyone’s needs are different. As I said earlier, my needs are different than the majority of people, and the UDP-205 has been a good solution for me.
 
Last edited:
Would have liked to been a fly on the wall ... at the corporate meeting where this decision was made. Wonder if anybody thought "holy ****, they're really going to close it down" ... or did they see it coming for years? :dunno:
 
I think we can all agree the loss of a reasonably well made, good value range of products, is a loss for the HiFi and Video 'philes.
That's what I thought initially when Logitech discontinued the Squeezebox Touch line. Had two at the time and bought a spare cheap.

Then I discovered a better and lower cost alternative using a Raspberry Pi based renderer. Sold all three Touches. With the NIB unit, I made some money on someone who hadn't yet caught up on the market.
 
Back
Top Bottom