• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Oppo Digital Folding.

Perhaps Oppo has sold their designs to a high-end company, who will manufacture them in Bangladesh or wherever, and sell them at $12K, so the price can prove their obvious superiority.

"It could happen."
The disappearance of physical media players is inevitable.
In the long run, yes. In the short run, well, that's what they said about records.
Could not discern a difference from 10 ft away.
When my friend's ISP gets clogged, streaming video quality turns into crap.
PS. The "ignore" feature of this works. I just used it. I have no tolerance for trolls.
Me too, and me neither.
 
Get over it already ...

(I remember posting up something similar on the talk nets when Sansui went under for the last time.) <G>

That said, oPPo raised the bar for everyone, so their legacy will live on. Hopefully, so will a supply of spare parts. And a word of caution to owners - DO download and safeguard the latest firmware updates, just in case. If they're no longer available from Oppo, I'm sure there's an archive stashed somewhere in the web ... as I'm sure there's already a slew of DIYers coming up with alternate fixes.
 
Get over it already ...

(I remember posting up something similar on the talk nets when Sansui went under for the last time.) <G>

That said, oPPo raised the bar for everyone, so their legacy will live on. Hopefully, so will a supply of spare parts. And a word of caution to owners - DO download and safeguard the latest firmware updates, just in case. If they're no longer available from Oppo, I'm sure there's an archive stashed somewhere in the web ... as I'm sure there's already a slew of DIYers coming up with alternate fixes.

That is good advice. I was already planning on keeping my two units long term, as the 95 is basically my luxury 2 channel disc spinner and the 103 is essentially irreplaceable in my quad system unless I find a 105 or 205 not to mention the ability to rip SACD.
 
Sad news, but in correspondance with today’s trend to just stream everything...

But I know I will enjoy the hell out of my oppos... I have over 800 bluerays (movies and concerts)

I currently have 3 oppos; bdp-93, bdp-103d and bdp-105d.. had a bdp-83 and a bdp-95.... they never failed one single time... ever... they played whatever I put in them, video and sound is top notch for multichannel...

The darbee is awesome, and makes my 1080p blurays look better than 4k on my sharp elite tv....

The 105d even functions as a back up dacin case my main dac fails.... hey!… I am even tempted to buy now a 205, which I did not buy before because of the lack of darbee... :whip:
 
Man, this sucks. I have a BDP-83 I bought when it first came out. I sent it back to Oppo when they offered to upgrade them to the SE audio circuits. About 5 years ago, the transport started acting up. They told me to send it back, and they fixed the transport of my long out of warranty deck - FOR FREE! The player is still in my main video system after 10 years.

But not for long, since I just ordered a UDP-205. It might be the last disc spinner I buy, but it should be a good one.
 
I’m in the minority for at least 2 reasons:
  1. I like classical music, opera, and occasionally ballet. SACD, Blu-ray, Pure Audio Blu-ray, Ultra HD Blu-ray, plus downloaded hi-res (24bit/192kHz) FLAC and DSD are all relevant to classical music, opera, and ballet. New performances of these genre are routinely captured and offered in hi-res formats featuring multi-channel. Classical recordings delivered via these more advanced disc-based technologies are readily available from on-line retailers. The assertion that the UDP-205 is “just a CD/DVD player” is absurd. Not everyone listens to pop music, and not everyone is satisfied with what a CD can deliver.

  2. I rely on the fact that the Oppo UDP-205 provides far more functionality that a CD or DVD player. It includes “audiophile-grade” DACs (2.0, 2.1, 5.1), bass management (i.e., line-level configurable subwoofer connection), remote volume control, etc. And my Oppo UDP-205 has a TOSLINK connection (fiber optic input that uses the Oppo’s internal DAC) that I use to connect a Chromecast Audio gizmo for streaming services such as Spotify Premium, TuneIn internet radio, etc. I connect my Oppo machines to vintage tube amps, including 1950s era McIntosh MC30 mono power amps – without a pre-amp – because the UDP-205 provides the “pre-amp” functionality – in 2.0, 2.1, and 5.1 configurations.
IMO, nothing matches the convenience of dropping a Blu-ray or SACD disc into the tray and hitting the Play button. It’s easy. And it works. Reliably.

With the Oppo machines, I don’t have to play the role of systems integrator for some cobbled-together solution that is based on an alphabet-soup mix of open-source software. And I have zero interest in spending countless hours ripping my recordings to a hard drive – particularly for SACD (which apparently requires some arcane methodology to copy) and Blu-ray.

I’m an audiophile who is a happy user of the last 4 generations of Oppo players (UDP-205, BDP-105, BDP-95, DV-980H). And, more importantly, I enjoy the benefits that newer recording technologies (audio and video) provide for classical music.

OTOH, my experience with Chromecast Audio and Chromecast (video) is that they are NOT reliable. And AFAIK don’t support multi-channel or hi-res audio. I’ve read that Roku and other streaming products may be more reliable, but they won’t do everything my Oppo players will do.

For example, what options other than Oppo do I have to play - via my vintage tube amps - this wonderful multi-channel Blu-ray of Beethoven’s “Missa Solemnis” that I watched/listened to last night?

51aQWt6PrlL._SX342_.jpg


And what machine will also play (in addition to Blu-ray discs and hi-res FLAC downloads) this fabulous multi-channel SACD - via my vintage tube amps?

51TkhBBdzLL._AC_US327_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg


But again, I’m in the minority, and the mass market is where the money is.

Bottom line: I’m sorry to see Oppo exit the business. I might buy another UDP-205 to replace one of my older Oppo models.
 
Last edited:
I got my Oppo because it had the HDMI in for my PlayStation, optical audio in from the cable box, and then both balanced and 7.1 out. I have a 2 channel receiver, and this player does all of my surround sound processing - I would have had to got a standalone decoder otherwise. It was exactly what I needed. I didn't see the Panasonic but I bought mine last fall so I don;t thin it was out. My goal is to try to use a bigger % of its capability this year, I am just scratching the surface using it for surround sound.

-Geoff
 
Sorry and surprised to see OPPO go. Their reception in the market--both critical and popular--seemed excellent.

Sadly Audio folks don't appreciate MULTI FUNCTION DEVICES. Many are like kids who don't want their food touching on the same plate.

Now there's an analogy which had never occurred to me :idea:
 
It's too bad to see Oppo stop manufacturing. I know many people were fond of the DVD players, but their newer offerings such as the Ha-1 headphone amp/preamp and the Sonica Dac showed true promise at their price point and got many positive reviews. Last summer I purchased the Ha-1 after looking for a headphone amp that could serve multiple purposes and this one certainly does. DAC, bluetooth, digital and analog inputs, preouts in rca and balanced, TRS and xlr headphone output, solid machined remote with more than just the basic volume and power control, and all being pushed through class A circuits. This unit was a serious offering for the modern audiophile and I struggled to find many competitors that offered such a complete unit at a reasonable cost.

I will continue to use my oppo for as long as it lasts which should be quite a while if everyone else's previous successes with the DVD units have any indication.

Cheers Oppo!
 
For the typical, non-audiophile consumer, certainly. One DVD player is pretty much like every other if you just use it to play movies.

For the audiophile, maybe. A DVD player is a mostly-digital device, and digital devices tend to either work or not. Once you've got a device that generates a correct stream of data -- which, these days, doesn't cost much to achieve -- you can add component quality all you like and you'll still get exactly the same stream of data.

That means the only places where a manufacturer can differentiate is in aesthetic design or length of warranty (and associated component robustness) -- which few consumers are willing to pay for -- or the tiny handful of components in the DAC circuitry. And there lies the rub: the sonic distinctions between high end and low end DACs, if any, might be more about personal preference than any real difference in quality. If you like the sound of a $79 DVD player, why spend more?

Furthermore, if you're only using the DVD player as a transport and are using an external DAC, then there's even less reason to choose one DVD player over another. Anything that spins the disk and emits a stream of digital data is fine and -- by the very definition of how digital systems work -- essentially identical.

Oppo made great stuff period. In fact they made the best Blu-ray players period, and I'll show data to prove this. And despite what some people who don't understand how digital actually works think. There are differences in quality with digital. It's not nearly the same at all. Those 1's and 0's have to be decoded. They have to be read from the disc if it's a player. There is an analog output section in it like anything else that requires capacitors. There's power supplies that can introduce noise etc. I have incredibly sensitive ears, and I can't even listen some DAC's without getting a headache. Others I can listen to all day. And my most expensive one is the problem child too. But it's the only one designed, and built in China. So my point is it's all about design and quality components just like anything else.

Now that proof. Fortunately video is not subjective like audio. It's objective. You can physically measure video quality. So here's the proof that not only is there differences between digital devices. But that Oppo proved to be just about perfect. Anyone who bought an Oppo product got a product from a company that really spent the time to design their gear well, and that used quality stuff in their gear too. And I'm with Bostown.on this. If I were thinking about buying Oppo gear. Now would be the time. While you still can.

Here's the real facts. Not feelings. Facts don't care about your feelings. All Blu-ray players are not the same (4th paragraph down to see 3 Oppo players all wipe the floor with a previously recommended Sony player):


https://hometheaterhifi.com/technical/technical-reviews/blu-ray-player-hdmi-benchmark-introduction/
 
Surely it is all about focusing on what is really important to them, the smartphone business? It took a hit and they are probably looking to divert resources to fix it?

Selling a few DVD and multi players to a tiny part of a shrinking market makes no sense long term. I think you guys were lucky whilst they were around, as they filled in a hole left by the big guys when they gave up on decent silver disc spinners.

oppo.JPG
 
IMO, nothing matches the convenience of dropping a Blu-ray or SACD disc into the tray and hitting the Play button.
Sure there is. Just eliminate the "locate-the-jewel-case-remove, carry-and-insert-into-player-and-subsequently-reverse-process" part every time using a server based solution. :)

For example, what options other than Oppo do I have to play - via my vintage tube amps - this wonderful multi-channel Blu-ray of Beethoven’s “Missa Solemnis” that I watched/listened to last night?
Follow the many articles by Kal Rubinson in Stereophile as to how he does it. BTW, he likes the 205 and uses it to determine whether or not to rip content for long term enjoyment.
 
Quote of the thread.
Many have discovered other multi-function devices like me - instantly selecting and mixing content from internet radio, subscription services (Tidal HIFI in my case) and local digital libraries.

Alas, a 103 found in the HT system supports but one of my music sources.
 
It gets down to the fact that you just can't take your Oppo player on the airplane with you to watch that movie you want to on your tablet or phone during your flight.
 
Back
Top Bottom