• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Parts and Pieces: A True ARC Mystery

Dave, The heatsinks having a rigid mounting method and a slotted IC attachment that should allow you to set a fixed hight above the circuit board avoiding the short. Much as you did by adding the insulating tape only a bit higher for an air gap. Are the three solder in posts long enough to reach through the board to be soldered while allowing a sufficient air gap above the board to avoid contacting the traces underneath? It may seem dubious, but I imagine they were designed to be installed slightly above the board. The tape could be left as insurance I suppose.
 
The three feet on the sinks are in fact long enough that there could be an air gap provided with them still soldered in place. Interesting you suggest that as to your point, many of the other components are already installed with air gaps (resistors, SS components, tube sockets, etc.). That was surely to aid cooling for those items, while other non-heat producing items like film caps and trim pots are mounted flush to the board. I guess I just never considered a non-flush mount of the sinks as an option, but if that is standard (or accepted) industry practice, then it would (obviously) allow for running otherwise interfering traces under the sinks without fear of shorting. That also means that this board is likely not a prototype then at all, but a regular production D115 board, or at least one of the early type (if a MK II board existed that is -- which I'm beginning to believe did not).

Every little detail helps in putting this story together -- thank-you so much for your input!!

Dave
 
Gordon -- Remember this would have been about 1982 when this board was being developed (the board itself is dated 1983). We're talking almost 40 years ago -- did such programs exist to prevent component interaction errors for CAD designed boards then? That is something I am completely ignorant about.........

Dave

There just would have started being CAD programs for circuit layout at that time. I remember seeing one that was made for the IBM XT. Took a LOT of upgrades in memory and such for it to run.

Probably wouldn't have had safeguards on that one, with it's tiny processor- but the ones made to run on mini-computers (such as DEC and such) probably would have been written that way, back then. Dunno if a small company like ARC would have had a computer of that scale, though...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
The board “smells” like it was laid out by hand. Some tell-tale signs are the uneven trace spacings, traces getting progressively wider on one end vs the other and the odd angles and such used as traces turn corners or change directions.

CAD design board layout was probably out of reach of most small companies back then. It typically looked like a turn-key solution in the early '80s since the IBM PC had just been introduced a year earlier ('81). If ARC was strapped for cash in those days I doubt they could have afforded that level of sophistication.

However just a few years later, ('84 ish) the landscape had changed substantially. In that era I worked on a "state of the art" DEC MicroVax, and Sun Microsystems was on the horizon or about to enter the market with their all-in-one engineering workstations. That was truly the bees-knees of an engineering workstation back then.
 
Last edited:
K -- Thanks for the input. It's funny -- you want to talk about the design of this beast, why they did this or that, or the incredible power supply this thing has? No problem. But I am such a duck out of water when it comes to board layout, programs to do such, and how that field has advanced over the years. I'm a point to point or tag board guy -- circuit boards typically leave me cold, just like computer drawn schematics do. This particular board is well, a pain in the dairy air to work with. Through hole construction, traces on both sides, no solder breaks, and traces that lift from the board easily enough. Certainly better than the old Dynaco boards in that last regard, but hardly of the caliber today's boards are. All in all, just not an easy board to work with.

All the comments are really giving me an education though, and helping to piece together the most likely origin scenario of this puppy. The design itself is interesting enough, but the human/corporate history side is equally fascinating to me as well.

Dave
 
^^ I have largely the same feelings with circuit boards and computer schematics. Given my age its pretty anachronistic but I can read a hand-drawn schematic from the 1930s way easier than a modern one.
 
K -- Thanks for the input. It's funny -- you want to talk about the design of this beast, why they did this or that, or the incredible power supply this thing has? No problem. But I am such a duck out of water when it comes to board layout, programs to do such, and how that field has advanced over the years. I'm a point to point or tag board guy -- circuit boards typically leave me cold, just like computer drawn schematics do. This particular board is well, a pain in the dairy air to work with. Through hole construction, traces on both sides, no solder breaks, and traces that lift from the board easily enough. Certainly better than the old Dynaco boards in that last regard, but hardly of the caliber today's boards are. All in all, just not an easy board to work with.

All the comments are really giving me an education though, and helping to piece together the most likely origin scenario of this puppy. The design itself is interesting enough, but the human/corporate history side is equally fascinating to me as well.

Dave

Dave- just wait until you run into one of those ARC units, that used STACKED circuit boards. Connected with solid bus bar conductors, going perpendicularly from one board to another. Each bus bar conductor, soldered through one of those double-sided board vias on each board it goes through to. Imagine having to take THAT apart, to diagnose or repair defective components. I've seen many a talented tech, just swear off ever working on one of those, again.

Fortunately, this seemed to be far more common, in their solid-state products, than in their tube products...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Dave- just wait until you run into one of those ARC units, that used STACKED circuit boards. Connected with solid bus bar conductors, going perpendicularly from one board to another. Each bus bar conductor, soldered through one of those double-sided board vias on each board it goes through to. Imagine having to take THAT apart, to diagnose or repair defective components. I've seen many a talented tech, just swear off ever working on one of those, again.

Fortunately, this seemed to be far more common, in their solid-state products, than in their tube products...

Regards,
Gordon.
Those are the devil! I've never had much trouble following traces on single sided boards, but double sided makes me crosseyed. Stacked double sided boards just adds to the insanity.
 
Last edited:
Absolutely agree - double sided boards make you cross eyed. So stacked double sided must make you go blind! Thanks for the warning Gordon!!

Dave
 
Dave, do you want a pic of the bottom cover of a D70? It is virtually the same machine as the D115, just the baby brother at 65wpc. The only mechanical difference that I am aware of is the depth of the chassis; D70 = 14 1/2", D115= 16 1/2".

Let me know, and I'll dimension it for you as well.

Art
 
Absolutely agree - double sided boards make you cross eyed. So stacked double sided must make you go blind! Thanks for the warning Gordon!!

Dave

Audio Research has doubled-down on their newer models, apparently. Many of their products made after 2016, have QUAD LAYER boards. I have no interest trying to service THAT, I don't think.

Something like a VAC, with a single-sided board- or even better, a tag board, in most cases- will be able to be serviced 50 years from now. I have my doubts that anyone will be able to keep a quad-layer board working that long...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Audio Research has doubled-down on their newer models, apparently. Many of their products made after 2016, have QUAD LAYER boards. I have no interest trying to service THAT, I don't think.

Something like a VAC, with a single-sided board- or even better, a tag board, in most cases- will be able to be serviced 50 years from now. I have my doubts that anyone will be able to keep a quad-layer board working that long...

Regards,
Gordon.
So, does that mean the schematic is a 3D hologram?
 
Quad layered boards for an audio amp? Future repairs will include external jumper wires and such, won't look pretty.
When I worked for Bridgeport Machine Tools the CNC control engineering and spares/repairs department was in the same building. I was good friends with the shop manager and in my spare time hung out in the repair department. We used a 7 layer PCB for the main control board and it was a pretty busy board with mostly all SMD components. When a tech determined that there was a internal short in one of the layers in the board there was only one thing left to try to salvage it. Hook up some test leads to a power supply and touch the appropriate solder joints to "burn away" the short. You could see a faint glow from inside the board as it burned through the short. If it was a clean burn a few jumper wires would have it in good shape. Sometimes it would still have some resistance and it couldn't be cleared, scrap bin time.

BillWojo
 
Art -- I've got a decent pic of the bottom cover of a D70, so we know the basic venting pattern, and of course I've got the chassis here that I can measure -- remembering that it is a V70 chassis, not an actual D115 chassis. This chassis is only 15 & 3/4th inches front to back, so it won't be one that fits either a D115 or a D70.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You know, I get that ARC was all about making an absolute ton of low distortion power in their highest end units, and some speakers are in fact insanely INsensitive and do require it. But from an everyday practical standpoint (power capability, weight, size, heat production, cost of maintenance, etc.) , I think the D70 was likely the best amplifier for the needs of most folks. I mean, here I am with 101 db efficient floor speakers in a quiet 16X20 listening room. A 100 watt/channel vacuum tube amplifier in that scenario is just nuts.

I really think that once I've put this puppy through its paces, I'm going to modify it "down" into a D70 for all practical purposes -- which will be easy enough to do without any changes to the wiring:

1. Pull one push-pull pair of output tubes out of each channel.
2. Connect my 8Ω speakers to either the Com and 4Ω terminals -- OR -- the 4Ω and 16Ω terminals. The latter would allow for a common ground connection between the output connections if needed.

Besides reducing power output and the heat output from it, it would also be much kinder to the 6550 pass regulator tube. That tube as a single device is nicely suited to be the pass element in the D70 (two 6550s per channel), but is woefully inadequate if both channels of the D115 are asked to produce full sustained power output for any length of time at all. In the D70, the 6550 regulator tube is dissipating about 45 watts when both channels are delivering full sustained power output -- perfectly fine since the tube is operating in triode mode and can dissipate a total of 48 watts in that mode. But in the D115, its being asked to dissipate about 66 watts under the same condition, greatly exceeding the capability of the single 6550 pass tube provided. My band days back in the 60s instilled in me a strong belief that all circuits should be what I call "band rated" -- that is, having an ability to operate under maximum rated conditions over time without fear of overloading any part of the design -- just like a Timex watch: it can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. Against that backdrop then, the design of the screen pass regulator in the D115 is simply inadequate. To be fair, the single 6550 tube is likely just fine for everyday use under the dynamic conditions that music produces. But ARC made a big stink out of the specs for their amps, with the very first specification at the top of the page being that it is capable of 100 watts per channel with both channels driven. I would strongly suggest that while this may be true, it wouldn't be for long given the demands placed on the single regulator tube provided.

To punctuate just how much they skimped on this portion of the design of the D115, in their larger amplifiers, they use two pass element screen grid regulator tubes in each channel for amplifiers having a push-pull-quad-parallel arrangement in each channel (four pass elements total for both channels), which works just fine in delivering full power output all day long. But the D115 falls into that no-mans-land between the D70, and D250, where it really got short changed.

There is an easy answer to this problem today however that ARC did not have at their disposal at the time: Swap the single 6550 pass regulator tube out for a KT120 tube. The KT120 has 60 watt plate and 8 watt screen dissipation ratings, that as a single pass element fits the needs of the D115 under both channel full power conditions as perfectly as the single 6550 does for the D70. So the plan is, when I run the full 100 watts/channel scenario, I'll use a KT120 pass tube, but when the unit is knocked down to D70 power levels, then a 6550 regulator tube is perfectly adequate. The KT120 does draw slightly more heater current (about 0.1 to 0.35 amp more), but this is really insignificant in the larger scheme of things, and is greatly outweighed by the bigger tube's ability to handle the full sustained 100 watt power output capability of both channels simultaneously. The KT120 when installed is equal in height to that of the tallest power supply electrolytic caps on the board, so it should fit under the cover, and would seem to be a perfect answer. Hopefully, I'll know soon enough!

Dave
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom