• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pics of your listening space

Hi Brett a, hows it going:) yip the A3000 is gone and lots of money spent (waisted) since then. All a great learning curve and a blend of consumer/DIY works very well. I'm at peace with myself:)

Have a good one,

James.
Nice. It IS indeed a journey. Nice to see you here after having read your posts on other forums as far back as tree years ago I think.

:thmbsp:
 
Great system, I love the fireplace too Graham.

Please post how you 'did' the basstrap, I'm looking for something similar.

The gas fireplace is a real treat - it cranks out ferocious heat right away and really sets off the room visually. I flip it on and sit infront of the glass until my back begins to cook, then move to the couch to watch TV with a toasty back.
I bought 4 ATS 2'x4'x4" and one 2'x3'x4" acoustical panels for the living room. I used the 2'x3' and 2 of the 2'x4's on the front wall. I have 2 panels left over. I was thinking of combining them for an 8" thickness and getting some serious full spectrum absorption behind the sofa. All of the panels are open back so the pressure wave can flow through for corner mounting or when stood off the walls. Between the 8" panel thickness and 8" clearance from the window plus the bass loss from the glass and the panels on the front wall, there should be serious neutralizing of the longitudinal low frequency nodes at the listening position.
The open backs on the front wall panels really lets the drywall act as a low frequency membrane absorber without reflecting much treble energy back into the room. The angled opening into the dining room also helps minimize standing waves.
The best part? The suite above us has a deck where our living room and 2nd bedroom are and the owner in the suite below us is deaf as a rock. We have nobody on either side. I only answer to my wife regarding the volume setting, and she's pretty tolerant; she picked the color for the panels.
 
Last edited:
This is my current organized mess of a setup.
I usually just use the K160s or 104aBs, but the Advent sub adds some nice bass with the K160s, and I sometimes use the Yamahas for movies or TV shows.

dsc04050sm.jpg
 
Last edited:
The first picture is the 2nd bedroom with about 900 LPs and a few hundred 78s. Next is the view into the living/listening room. Third is the stereo and wall treatments. I'm still working on developing a lift to get a bass trap to pull or wind up from behind the sofa.
The room and equipment sounds great! It's 16.5' wide and 14.5' deep - more space than I've ever had before for listening to music.

I like the acoustic treatments in the third pic, but they could be doing more for you in other locations in the room. Did you build the panels yourself?
 
This is my current organized mess of a setup.
I usually just use the K160s or 104aBs, but the Advent sub adds some nice bass with the K160s, and I sometimes use the Yamahas for movies or TV shows.

dsc04050sm.jpg

Nice Buick Century in poster:thmbsp: I have a '72 Centurion 455 4bbl from my parents. In early '80's I figured it cost me almost $10/day in gas to get to work and back!
 
Here's my main college dorm room setup!

components:

Pioneer sx-750
Teac CX-350
Realistic Stereo Bass Enhancer/Subsonic Filter
Television
Computer
Realistic Minimus 7 speakers
Klipsch speakers (can't remember the model # off the top of my head :) )

What I'll soon be adding:
Icon nuforce udac2 for the computer
Pioneer pl530 turntable
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0368.jpg
    DSC_0368.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 309
I like the acoustic treatments in the third pic, but they could be doing more for you in other locations in the room. Did you build the panels yourself?

I bought the panels from ATS Acoustics; they are very reasonably priced and nicely made.
I followed Floyd Toole's recommendations regarding panel placement. He has 50 years of research experience so I trust his recommendations. I noticed an improvement in midrange detail in the main listening area and more even bass response throughout the livingroom/diningroom/kitchen.
 
Here's my main college dorm room setup!

components:

Pioneer sx-750
Teac CX-350
Realistic Stereo Bass Enhancer/Subsonic Filter
Television
Computer
Realistic Minimus 7 speakers
Klipsch speakers (can't remember the model # off the top of my head :) )

What I'll soon be adding:
Icon nuforce udac2 for the computer
Pioneer pl530 turntable

i approve :thmbsp:
 
My first post on AK. Take it easy on me :)

Hey guys,

This is my first post on AK and wanted to say hi, introduce myself and show you my blossoming listening area/room and get input or suggestions. My name is Mike, I'm 31 and I've loved music since I could listen. I play guitar and sing (mostly folk rock) such as James Taylor, Ben Harper, Jack Johnson, Neil Young, etc. I've always had an affinity towards vinyl records mainly due to the intrigue and mystique they possess having grown up in the 80's when cassettes and CD's were around. I recently,(Christmas) talked my wife into letting me purchase a "starter" TT (Music Hall 2.2 w/ Ortofon 2M Red Cart.) I am running a simple and inexpensive Audio Technica PEQ3 Phono Preamp to my M-Audio AV40s. I know it's not top of the line stuff, but for right now, it does what it needs to. It's nice to be here and I look forward to many more discussions to come.

Cheers!
photo-6.jpg


photo-5.jpg
 
Hey guys,

This is my first post on AK and wanted to say hi, introduce myself and show you my blossoming listening area/room and get input or suggestions. My name is Mike, I'm 31 and I've loved music since I could listen. I play guitar and sing (mostly folk rock) such as James Taylor, Ben Harper, Jack Johnson, Neil Young, etc. I've always had an affinity towards vinyl records mainly due to the intrigue and mystique they possess having grown up in the 80's when cassettes and CD's were around. I recently,(Christmas) talked my wife into letting me purchase a "starter" TT (Music Hall 2.2 w/ Ortofon 2M Red Cart.) I am running a simple and inexpensive Audio Technica PEQ3 Phono Preamp to my M-Audio AV40s. I know it's not top of the line stuff, but for right now, it does what it needs to. It's nice to be here and I look forward to many more discussions to come.

Cheers!

photo-5.jpg

Welcome!!!

I see you have the Boss in your record collection too. Rock on!! :)
 
Hey guys,

This is my first post on AK and wanted to say hi, introduce myself and show you my blossoming listening area/room and get input or suggestions. My name is Mike, I'm 31 and I've loved music since I could listen. I play guitar and sing (mostly folk rock) such as James Taylor, Ben Harper, Jack Johnson, Neil Young, etc. I've always had an affinity towards vinyl records mainly due to the intrigue and mystique they possess having grown up in the 80's when cassettes and CD's were around. I recently,(Christmas) talked my wife into letting me purchase a "starter" TT (Music Hall 2.2 w/ Ortofon 2M Red Cart.) I am running a simple and inexpensive Audio Technica PEQ3 Phono Preamp to my M-Audio AV40s. I know it's not top of the line stuff, but for right now, it does what it needs to. It's nice to be here and I look forward to many more discussions to come.

That's a good starter setup. Those AV-40's can sound quite decent. First bit of advice I can give you is get them out of that shelf and up on the table, they need room to breath. Maybe get them out on stands or something. It's definitely a good start though.

Welcome to the form. :thmbsp:
 
This is all in one very large room

Computer setup
JVC AX-R450 int. amp
JBL CF-100

Main stereo
Denon PRA-1200
Yamaha C-50
Acurus 100X3
Pioneer RT-701
Marantz CD-64
Sony TC-K81
Sony PS-4750 Shure M-97xe
DLK Model 2's just recapped

Secondary stereo
Pioneer SX-980
Gemini PT-2100 Stanton Trackmaster II SK
Polk Audio Monitor 7B peerless just recapped

Musical instrument's
Peavey Butcher 120watt all tube
4X12 Peavey cabinet
Yamaha B100 bass head
4X10 Peavey bass cabinet
Various guitars and my baby my 1986 Gibson Les Paul Custom w/factory Kahler tremolo
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0098.jpg
    DSC_0098.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 491
  • DSC_0097.jpg
    DSC_0097.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 521
  • DSC_0095.jpg
    DSC_0095.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 429
  • DSC_0096.jpg
    DSC_0096.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 380
I bought the panels from ATS Acoustics; they are very reasonably priced and nicely made.
I followed Floyd Toole's recommendations regarding panel placement. He has 50 years of research experience so I trust his recommendations. I noticed an improvement in midrange detail in the main listening area and more even bass response throughout the livingroom/diningroom/kitchen.

I've used ATS to source materials for panels I built for my recording/mixing setup. Their prices are certainly very resonable.

If you like the results you're getting, don't change a thing. :)
 
Back
Top Bottom