• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer PL-10 & Pioneer PL-12D - Cartridge Suggestions

Drumaniac

Super Member
Any suggestions for reasonably priced cartridges for Pioneer PL-10 & Pioneer PL-12D Turntables.

Looking for something decent that won't require a second mortgage lol

Rick
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm not a big fan of many of the sub-$100 carts, but you might think about an AT-3600. Very inexpensive, and they sound pretty darned good.

A nice alternative might be a Shure M75 or M91. You can get a working body for $25-35 and put a nice Jico elliptical on it for another $35 or so. Or go with a hyperelliptical, for around $80. If you look for a used cartridge like this, make sure the seller has verified that it is in good working order (can be done very easily with a digital multimeter).

My first turntable was a PL12D...I still have it, and I have its original M75 on it! Not the original stylus, of course.
 
I was amazed at how good an Audio Technica AT 3600L (about $12 or so) sounds on my Pioneer PL 112D (The model right after your PL-12D). Other models that I have and work fine on my system (but cost more) are the AT 11E, Shure M91 ED and Grado Green
 
I will be trying an AT3600L ( once it arrives ) on a PL 15R, basically the same TT with semi auto function though still want to get a decent stylus ( elliptical ) for the Shure M70B that it came with. I should also purchase another head shell to make swapping easier.
 
If you are willing to spend $100ish the Nagaoka MP-110 is a good one that's hard to beat.

Where in Canada can you get the MP110 for $100?

I have a 117D came with an OM5 with an OM10 stylus, sounds very good.

What is a "reasonable" price? Do you want new or Vintage?
 
Where in Canada can you get the MP110 for $100?

Sorry, I was thinking USD as that seems to be what most expect to see on AK, and didn't notice the OP was in Canada. And after looking around just now I found a couple of vendors on Amazon.COM at $105 and $110. I thought that was kind of the norm but it does seem to have gone up recently. I bought a replacement stylus a couple of months ago on eBay at about $50 USD and that price doesn't look possible now either. :(

My bad...
 
Maybe it was a regional thing. 5-7 of the local DC area chains sold them with M91's or M44's. A few M75's too.
 
Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

My PL-10 came with an Excel ES70EX that sounds pretty decent. I have seen several with this cartridge.
 
Not my PL12D. It did not come with a cartridge. I had to buy it separately.

From previous post:

The domestic version of the Pioneer PL-12 X series were factory equipped with the Pioneer PC-11 cartridge ( 0.6mil spherical diamond tip).

Did you buy your Pioneer PL-12D in Japan proper or from a US PX? :idea:
 
I've seen PL-12X's, but could never determine what made them different from the PL-12D. Perhaps that Pioneer packaged a cartridge with them?

In any case, I am fairly certain that Pioneer did not package a cartridge with the PL-12D. It was my first audio purchase, and I remember doing a lot of shopping before I bought it (stereo stores were everywhere back in that era, so I went from store to store looking for the best deal).
 
Back
Top Bottom