• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer PL-10 & Pioneer PL-12D - Cartridge Suggestions

I've seen PL-12X's, but could never determine what made them different from the PL-12D. Perhaps that Pioneer packaged a cartridge with them?

In any case, I am fairly certain that Pioneer did not package a cartridge with the PL-12D. It was my first audio purchase, and I remember doing a lot of shopping before I bought it (stereo stores were everywhere back in that era, so I went from store to store looking for the best deal).

I was in too much a hurry and neglect to explain what I meant by the term - domestic version.

It means the the Japan domestic version - the ones sold in Japan.

Not the exported ones that you bought in the USA. :)
 
Last edited:
Just recently picked up a relatively clean, PL-12AC and replaced the stylus straight away as the one it came with was collapsed.

Have tried both a brand new AT3600L and a brand new Shure 91ED.

I'm leaning to the slightly crisper sound of the Shure at the moment.

The AT3600L is currently being broken in on the NEC AUP-6500e.
 
A new M91, or a new stylus for an M91? The M91 has been out of production for a very long time.
 
Last edited:
Ahh...not a new M91...just a new stylus for an M91. The Jico hyperelliptical for the M91 is very nice, but pricey. Looks like you bought a Pfahnstiehl?
 
Last edited:
You said you bought a new Shure M91. That is impossible. They haven't been made for many, many years.

Did you actually purchase just a stylus? If so, is it a Shure stylus? If so, it is old stock.

Or are you saying that someone on Amazon is selling old stock M91s....cartridge AND stylus...for $30? If so, please post seller info. I am sure there are many here who would pay that for a complete, NOS (new old stock) M91.
 
You said you bought a new Shure M91. That is impossible. They haven't been made for many, many years.

Did you actually purchase just a stylus? If so, is it a Shure stylus? If so, it is old stock.

Or are you saying that someone on Amazon is selling old stock M91s....cartridge AND stylus...for $30? If so, please post seller info. I am sure there are many here who would pay that for a complete, NOS (new old stock) M91.

See Post #26 & #28 for the answer. It was just a replacement stylus for the Shure cart that came with the Pioneer.
 
Last edited:
The only afer-market replacements I can see on Amazon are made by either Jico (EVG) or Pfahnstiehl.
 
Back
Top Bottom