• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pioneer RT-707 service & rebuild

Hi,
the Capstan Motor is pretty much the heart of the machine. The only way in is by removing the flywheel at the rear. This leaves the FG transducer exposed which is not really a good idea. Try and judge if the capstan shaft feels to be running dry. Other than that I would leave it alone. If you do decide to take the plunge, find some good quality oil that is reasonably viscous. Light machine oil is no good here!! There is a circlip and if memory serves a grub screw. Then the flywheel can be removed. The whole shaft then comes out of the front of the machine.

Thanks for the compliment. Not so much a master just plenty of experience and familiarity with these beasts. I am a Maintenance Engineer by trade and over the years of owning one, tried to keep it well maintained. As I said earlier, I wore it out. There was not much wear left in the heads by the time I let it go. I had then been bitten by the Revox bug. I now have 2 A700s, a B77 and 2 C270s. One of the C270s is the current project for refurbishment. It is a runner but has not been calibrated yet.

Keep going with it. They are reel (ho ho ho), good old, proper analogue HiFi. Some of the recording I made with my 707 were jaw droppers.

GPS16
 
We lost a couple of posts here - I've seen the same on some other threads, so I assume it was an AK error. Anyway, basically I asked if something like motor oil could be good as a thicker lubricant for the capstan motor and GPS16 explained that this is not a great idea for a few reasons and that the lubricants used in capstan motors can be quite specialized... research to be done to find out what is good in the RT-707 capstan motor.
 
Okay, one thing I am really enjoying about the RT-707, is that the PCBs are really well marked. For example, here is the back of the playback board and you can see the VRs related to EQ & balance adjustment labeled nicely on the back:
amkfhKs.jpg


Speaking of which, I mentioned earlier that I have a louder right channel than left channel. Not having a calibration tape to do the adjustments properly I decided to use a frequency generator source and feed that into the playback board (at least I would be able to balance up left and right, check EQ response, even if I can't set the overall gain level properly (but I could get this close assuming the previous VU meter calibration was okay....). You might be able to do this via the line input (?) but anyway I noticed my line input pot didn't have exactly even L and R resistance, so I decided to not check the schematic for this option anyway.

What I did was disconnect the wires from the playback heads and feed the signal generator source into the playback board at this point.
HK6uuY5.jpg


A quick back of the envelope calculation, based on the voltage level diagram in the service manual, showed I needed input voltage on the order of 1mV (again, I'm not a tape guy, so this is all new to me) and unfortunately my crappy $20 signal generator is only good down to about 50mV. So I made a little voltage divider using a fixed resistor and a bourns multiturn pot so I could knock the signal down to levels comparable to what would come out of the heads.
NDfKjNV.jpg


I used the oscilloscope to check everything is okay with voltage, and then hooked this into playback board where the tape heads would usually connect. The picture shows a tape hooked up but during the procedure I took the reels off, to avoid damaging them or the spindles as I'm working (then hooked the tape up at the end just for final testing).
bzXAEBl.jpg


What you see in the next pic is the signal generator in blue (it says 161mV but that is at the source, not after the voltage divider which knocks the voltage down to ~mV level).The source was adjusted so that at the RCA outputs I got about 450mV with 700Hz (which is the output voltage & frequency the service manual for the balance VR adjustment) - this input voltage was noted as my 'calibration' voltage for balance adjustment The yellow curve is from the RT-707 RCA output jacks and showing ~450mV. Note that i use RMS; the manual doesn't specify, but this is what they imply with the measurement by voltmeter. As confirmation, when I have 450mV RMS at the output, the VU meters are very close to the "0" mark, which is what it should be according to the service manual. This may be obvious to everyone, but I just wanted to be sure and confirm for myself so I don't set the gain off at some wild setting.
bx8MWSK.jpg

From here I adjusted FWD balance so I have 450mV on both left (VR105) and right (VR106). Pretty straight forward

Then I move to the "EQ adjustment" at a lower input voltage than the balance adjustment (about -10dbV compared to the previous balance adjustment, (something around 100mV at output would be okay)). I assume the lower power/voltage is to avoid frequency response issues related to being close to the output power/voltage limits of the circuit. Anyway, I adjusted VR101 (L) and VR102 (R) so that there is almost no change in output voltage when you change input frequency from 1kHz to 10kHz. Now this was somewhat tricky in my case, since my signal generator outputs different voltage at different frequency (even without touching the output voltage dial), so I had to calibrate for this.

The really trick part is that the EQ adjustment drastically affects gain. So as you adjust VR101 and VR102, you mess up your balance adjustment you just did with VR105 and VR106. So you go back and redo that adjustment. Then you check the EQ again, and so on, doing a few iterations until there is nothing to be done anymore. So at the end, EQ is set and L/R balance is perfect. It seemed to me that EQ adjustment is critical as this VR really wildly affects frequency response - from completely dull sounds to overly bright just with a half-turn of the VR, or a few kOhm variation. I found it convenient to measure the VR resistances not right at the VRs but at nearby pins connected directly, but more convenient to get my probe clips onto:
JgzyYlT.jpg


Then I 'rinse-and-repeat' this entire process for reverse playback, moving the signal generator over to the input to the playback board from the reverse direction playback head, and doing the entire balance (VR107 (L), VR108 (R)) and EQ (VR103 (L) and VR104 (R)) 'loop' again.

Now, there is a flaw in my idea, and I knew it from the beginning and thus consider this whole thing as partly informative but partly an exercise. On one hand, I can now be sure I don't have some L/R imbalance in the gain sections of the playback board. The flaw is that although I balance up L/R in the gain stages, I used equal input voltages on L and R, which assumes balanced input voltage from the heads into the playback boards. Of course the heads can have different efficiency of picking up recorded signals and converting to voltage (this could either be due to alignment, or simply due to inherent structural difference between L/R head components). And indeed, this is the situation in my case - with the gain stages via the above procedure perfectly balanced to 0.1% of V_RMS, when I play a tape I still have noticeably louder right channel when I play any tape forwards (backwards is fine and always has been) - this is audible, measurable and visible on the VU meters.

One upside is that before doing the gain balancing here it was possible that the difference between fwd and rev was due to gain stage VR settings. However, I now know that the issue is upstream of the playback board, i.e. the heads. Anyway, I've learned a lot about the machine and it's adjustment in this exercise which can be done without a calibration tape.

So, now is it time to adjust the head alignment, despite the previous warnings to leave this alone? (the alternative is turning up L using the pot at the back of the machine, but then when I use reverse playback direction, I have to remember to set L back to neutral - not my preferred solution!).
 
Also, used a bit of rubber renew solution on the rubber pinch roller (the other roller is just a hard plastic and I just cleaned this with some detergent). Honestly, I can't notice any difference in the rubber roller after treatment in terms of either texture or performance, but I didn't have a problem beforehand, so maybe I don't experience the benefit. At least it isn't worse.
irMqdUk.jpg
 
Last edited:
Hi,
doing a great job.
You have set off to get some sort of confidence in what is right and what is wrong. You now have the playback amps at some arbitrary flat level and their operation is verified. It is a start. The outputs from the heads may not be matched very closely. Also they are a wound coils to pick up the varying magnetics off the tape by induction. The response of the head will be different at different frequencies. This is the reason for the calibration tape which is manufacture to have a known and calibrated MAGNETIC signal on it. Hence if you look in the manual specs it give a reference fluxivity of 250nW/m, this is part of the NAB standard as far as I am aware. The lower levels required for the Eq settings is so that the tape is not overloaded. This level get less as the frequency involved gets higher. This is what the NAB standard is all about!!

I would still personally leave the Head Adjusting screws alone. Unless the head block has had a clout then nothing should move and you will not get any improvement from where you are. The critical one is the Azimuth adjustment and this can only be properly set up with a Test Tape. This is why they are so pricey. The Azimuth is engineered to be spot on. The magnetic levels are engineered to be spot on (reference level at 700Hz or 1kHz) and the different frequencies are engineered to be spot on so that the Eq can be properly set up (stepped frequencies up to 10 or 15 kHz). If you are serious about setting up the recorder properly, there is no get around. There is also the problem of the groove which has been worn into the head. If this gets tilted then you are going to damage the edges of precious tapes. There are other threads on this problem so I won't repeat them again.

Now you are aware that the playback side is doing as expected you have a problem. To set up the playback properly you need a test tape. To set up the record side of the machine you need a properly set up "playback" side to set the recording side to match it!!!

Also as an aside. On the photo of the divider that you have made with the pot and resistor..... The resistor looks to be of the wire wound variety. Check if this is the case!!! If this is so then you will need to repeat the checks as at high frequencies the resistor will adopt the characteristics of an Inductor due to its construction. Even though the resistance will be spot on, at high frequencies it will be an impedance.

Keep going. Getting to know the beast is time well spent. When you hear it performing at it's best, knowing what is going on "under the hood" will be part of what make you grin like a Cheshire Cat.

Pity about the loss to the thread!!! Don't know what happened there. No word from the bigwigs either!!!

GPS16
 
Regarding my reverse direction button, aside from the fact that the button is missing there is also an issue with the switch itself too. This is an electrical trigger switch, not a simple mechanical one.

What is happening with mine is that pressing the metal tab to switch to reverse always works when tape isn't playing. However, if play is then pressed the forward direction switch triggers, after a period of time ranging from practically instant, to (typically) a second or two, and sometimes as long as tens of minutes. (The same is true if the reverse direction switch is used during play. The direction will change to forward direction after some time). The first obvious thing to check is that the metal tab for the forward direction is not too close to the triggering contacts behind, but it's fine with a few mm spacing, same as for the reverse direction. So it's a false triggering of the forward direction, if that makes sense...

I will look at the switch/trigger circuit on the weekend, but I guess some folks here have had similar issues and adjusted these electrical switches and any advice in the meantime is greatly appreciated.

Regarding your reversing problem: There is a push button switch in between the tape counter reset button and the pitch control knob labeled "repeat" - make sure this function is turned off. (EDITED FOR CLARITY): That switch will return the machine to forward direction (END EDIT) as soon as the tape counter passes 9999, so if you have that button pushed in and the counter approaches zero it will trigger the reverse cycle. It will also prevent reverse from holding in if the counter is below the point where it was zeroed out.

Not sure if this is the cause of your reversing issue but it has been tripping up new RT-707 and RT-909 owners as well as new TEAC A-4300 and A-6300 owners for many years!
 
Last edited:
Regarding your reversing problem: There is a push button switch in between the tape counter reset button and the pitch control knob labeled "repeat" - make sure this function is turned off. What that does is reverse the machine as soon as the tape counter passes 9999, so if you have that button pushed in and the counter approaches zero it will trigger the reverse cycle. It will also prevent reverse from holding in if the counter is below the point where it was zeroed out.

Not sure if this is the cause of your reversing issue but it has been tripping up new RT-707 and RT-909 owners as well as new TEAC A-4300 and A-6300 owners for many years!

For sure it's a good tip. I think another member raised this possibility on page 1 of the thread. Anyway, the reverse button issue was reported resolved in post #20 by info provided in post 18

Sorry for the slow down on this thread. Work is a bit busy the last week or two. But there will be progress soon, I promise.
 
Hi,
regarding the reverse issue again. The fault was the machine dropping back to Fwd after some indeterminate time after Rev was selected either by the foil or the front panel switch. Even when in STOP. The counter zero switch and the repeat switch are disabled when in STOP by a switch on the PLAY Button (S10-3). This switch is in series with the counter switch and shorts out the reverse relay coil to un-latch it (select Fwd). Any bad connections here would leave the machine running in Rev with the counter having no effect when dropping from 0 to 9999. As the relay coil gets shorted, R601 is there to take the load. Also the repeat switch does not "reverse" the machine when the counter hits zero, it enforces Fwd. I know I am being pedantic here but I am trying to reduce confusion. Fwd is play from left reel to right. Rev is play from right reel to left.

I am sure there will be replies to this which may not be complementary but there again!!!!!!

GPS16
 
Sorry, I apologize if I misunderstood his issue. I thought the OP was saying that he could select reverse direction when the deck was stopped, but then when he hit play with it set in reverse it would change back to forward again. Then (again this is my interpretation) when he was playing a tape in forward direction and hit reverse direction it would play for a while and then switch to forward direction again by itself. That's what made me think of the repeat button and the warning sticker that TEAC put on their decks to help prevent service calls due to the repeat button being engaged and preventing the reverse function from latching (my 707 decks do the same thing). Again I apologize for any confusion or if I misinterpreted the OP's problem, just something for him to look out for as a new 707 owner.

IMG_0289.JPG
 
Hi Audiojones,

quite alright. You made a valid point and it is worth checking. But the 707 was dropping back to Fwd whilst in STOP. Could not let the "REVERSE" statement you made pass though as it did not reverse it forwarded. If you see what I mean. If you had said change direction, I would not have added a comment. For me, I was seeing the problem from the circuit side and not which buttons were depressed as the Rec and Play switches come into play and affect the mode of failure.

Does the TEAC record in both directions as well?? If that was the case the the "Caution" on the sticker should be well heeded as the wrong tracks could be erased.

Cheers

GPS16
 
You are absolutely right, I should have said the index counter "initiates a direction change" or "returns the machine to forward direction" and I will edit that post to prevent further confusion. When writing that I was implying that the counter reverses the tape direction from its current state (which is reverse). Poor choice of words on my part.

Perhaps I'm not reading the post correctly but I still don't see where the OP states that it's changing directions on its own in the Stop mode. The way I'm reading his post it appears that he can set it for reverse play in Stop mode (which is normal) but then as soon as he hits play it reverts back to forward (as if repeat button is in and counter is not set properly). I don't see any mention of it flipping directions in Stop mode but again maybe I'm reading it incorrectly.
 
What is happening with mine is that pressing the metal tab to switch to reverse always works when tape isn't playing. However, if play is then pressed the forward direction switch triggers, after a period of time ranging from practically instant, to (typically) a second or two, and sometimes as long as tens of minutes. (The same is true if the reverse direction switch is used during play. The direction will change to forward direction after some time).

Yes, the problem (reverse direction changing over to forwards direction) persisted even when the player is in stop mode and play is never touched. What I was trying to say here, not very eloquently, is that it was practically impossible (see below) to permanently activate reverse direction during play, but reverse could sometimes be activated when stopped. Whether reverse direction was achieved during either stop of play mode, the forward direction would activate after some period of time. When stopped this period of time could range from practically instant, to minutes, and when playing it was practically instant (also, when stopped with reverse successfully activated, pressing play instantly popped me over to forward).

Cheers
David
 
Last edited:
After my previous adventures a few posts back, checking the electronics of the playback board, I concluded that my differences between left and right channels on forward playback were due to different efficiency/response of left and right sections on the heads. So, I've caved in and ordered a calibration tape. I really don't see a way around it beyond making an electromagnet device to simulate the tape (that doesn't sound too difficult, but the time/expense start to make the tape look like a good deal).

The original Pioneer STD-154 calibration tape is not easy to come by, and there would be little assurance that the tape still has the calibrated fluxivity, which it wouldn't, depending on use and storage. So I didn't want an old STD-154. I started looking around at new calibration tapes that would be suitable and also had some messages with GPS16 & decided to go with the Magnetic Reference Laboratories (MRL) 21T204, which is a 1/4" wide, 7" reel, 7.5in/s (190 mm/s) NAB EQ tape with 250 nWb/m reference fluxivity. I put in an order with Chuck at MRL via email and used their secure webform to give my card details and I forget to include my security number. Chuck gave me a call with an hour and popped the tape in the mail the next morning. They seem like nice guys there. The delivery was extremely quick, but hey, I'm only 20 miles away :). Here is a picture of the tape in it's box, which came packaged within another box with styrofoam peanuts.

oViy5ps.jpg


The tape is a 2-track/'half-width' type (L and R signals each taking up approximately half of the 1/4" tape width and the sound runs only in one direction, as opposed to the 4-track tapes I'm used too on which you have L_fwd / R_rev / R_fwd / L_rev across the tape width for bi-directional play). The tape comes wound "tails-out". Being new to tapes I only learned what that means a couple of weeks ago; for those who are not sure it means that the tape is wound with the end (tail) of the program hanging at the outer part of the reel. E.g. if you played a 2-track program onto a take-up reel, then the tape is 'tails-out' on the take-up reel. The purpose of this is to turn possible 'print through' of particularly dynamic signal from one layer to others (the program on the tape is a magnet after all, the stronger sections can magnetize other sections) from pre-echos, into post-echos, which are less noticeable for a few reasons. Apparently all 2-track material should be wound tails-out. I'm sure there could be some debate on the need to do this, but let's skip that here. Anyway, all of this is moot for 4- track materials since there is no 'tail' since side one and side two run in opposite directions.

Okay, sorry about that. Moving on.

First thing I did was demagnetize and clean my heads - would be a pity to partially erase my calibrated tape with magnetized playback heads. With the intention of calibrating the fwd playback head at first I popped the tails-out calibration tape onto the right motor and wound it onto a take-up reel on the left motor so that the tape is 'heads-out' (can we say that, or it's 'tails-in'?) on the take-up reel, ready to play forwards.
rX5eiDZ.jpg


Now, the original Pioneer STD-154 tape has content like this:
3jU24k5.png

All of this can be used but the key things are the first tone at 700Hz at 0dB, used for setting the overall gain, and the -10B 700kHz and 10kHz tones which the points the service manual focused on for EQ calibration (see my previous post about this procedure).

The MRL tape I ordered is slightly different, with details in Table 2 in this pic:
4Xk9pLw.jpg


BTW the MRL tape comes with a nice calibration sheet:
d7KSmML.jpg


The main difference between the MRL tape and the pioneer tape is 1000kHz at 0dB instead of the 700Hz. I don't see any problem with using 1000kHz to set the overall gain instead of 700Hz, assuming the response is relatively flat within the region (which it should be). Regarding the EQ calibration, I used either 500Hz or 1kHz -10B (the manual calls for 700Hz) and 10kHz at -10dB. Again, this actual procedure is outlined in post #23 with the difference being that now I used the tape, instead of a signal generator as my source. If anyone has questions about it though, do ask, because it's not that straightforward based on the manual IMO.

Immediately on the first tone I could see the difference in the L and R forward head pickup (recalling that my electronic circuit was L/R balanced in post 23). L output was ~500mV out and R was ~750mV (and recall that it is my right channel sounding too loud - no surpise). VRs were adjusted to ~450mV on both channels, then I did the EQ adjustment (you will have about output of ~150mV at -10dB, as described in post 23). My EQ was way off on one channel (down to 100mV at 10kHz) and it was easy to fix (although this resulted a couple of calibration iterations (going back and forth between playback gain (11.1 in manual) and EQ (11.2 in manual), since the VRs involved affect each other in-circuit, as mentioned in post #23.)).

Forward playback is calibrated AND sounds great in terms of balance and tone. I do note that there is a tiny midbass (observed at 125 and 250Hz) hump when output at 500Hz/1kHz and 10kHz are used as calibration points. It's a small hump (10mV) and probably a part of the gain circuit. (I did do a minor azimuth adjustment - see later in this post for details).

Okay, so I wound the calibration tape back onto the take-up reel, swapped reels (and flipped the reels over too of course). While fwd calibration was very quick, I struggled a bit with the reverse playback calibration. Setting the gain such that 1KHz (0dB) gave equal L/R output of about 450mV, made it difficult to have similar L/R output voltage after the EQ calibration. The best I could do (after EQ is calibrated between 1kHz and 10kHz) was 10mV difference between L/R at 1kHz (-10dB) gives - right channel was down. No amount of itteration in gain and EQ adjustment sorted this out. I understand that in theory anything is possible, but in practice I came to a dead-end 'winding out' a VR. Okay, so maybe I had a brain fart, and if i sit down and do this calibration again I will work it out, but I think L and R are really quite different in their efficiency and I wonder if some head adjustment is needed. I will have a another crack at the calibration again, but (a) forward playback is outstanding now, both in measurement and listening tests and I can live with the slightly off reverse playback for now and (b) i will re-calibrate reverse playback, but not until after I replace the VRs (see notes at end of this post).

I noticed that the azimuth adjustment was slightly out for both directions. I could not see it looking at the tape visually, but i noticed a phase difference between L and R output on the oscilloscope, so I gave it a slight adjustment. And, I mean slight. I limited myself to adjustment that didn't move the tape out of the head wear groove. Honestly, I would like to get my hands on some unworn heads (how expensive is relapping btw?) and do all head adjustments properly (I'm not as confident in factory adjustment as many others might be, based on what I'm seeing so far). If you want a surprise, grab the back an envelope, work out the distance along the tape for each cycle of a 1kHz signal assuming 7.5ips, and then work out the distance along the tape corresponding to, for example, a 45 degree phase difference (1/8 of a period/distance of single 1kHz cycle on tape). Then take that distance, assume 1/8" between tracks, and apply your inverse tangent and see how small the angle is that results in such a large phase difference. As a result I'm thinking visual inspection of azimuth is insufficient. But again, I'm new to tapes.... so don't pay too much attention to my ramblings if you know better.

A few notes:
- It is nice to have the 2nd 1kHz 0dB tone at the end of the MRL tape. You can adjust the VU meters using this after calibration, instead of winding back to the same tone at the beginning of the tape.
- The "duration of tones" are noted as 10s each (it might actually be slightly shorter due to gap + spoken voice announcing frequency and level - i didn't measure beyond using tape counter so can't say for sure). While this might be long for an experienced calibrator, I found it maddeningly short.
- This brings me to a final note: the VRs are my machine have to go. Part of the difficulty with the 10 second tones is that the VRs are extremely fiddly. The 'wipers' in my VRs also have a fair amount of static friction (which makes tiny adjustments rather random) despite my best efforts to clean and lubricate. The most maddening aspect is that resistance value shifts as I remove the screwdriver force - and remember, you are trying to do these adjustments rapidly to save rewinding the tape. Replacing these VRs with new 'multi-turn' VRs will be high on my priorities list for electronic refurb.
- And, I do think I don't want a tape with very long tones, as it's more rewinding and fast forwarding time to jump around between tones required for the multiple iterations of calibration.

Finally, I have a question. Is the STD-154 also a 2-track tape? And, does anyone know if the tapes are really half-width tracks, or 1/4 width tracks (with reverse tracks being blank)? I want to know because this affects what you would expect in terms of output during azimuth adjustment (which is rotating the head in the horizontal plane, parallel to the floor/ceiling).
 
Last edited:
PS. a nice pic showing output calibrated nicely for forward playback.
DYSvwu4.jpg


And a close-up of the head block with the cover off. The outermost screws are the azimuth adjustment (if unsure, just lineup the head block cover, which shows you were the azimuth adjustment screws are..
zlb1Wzg.jpg


and one picture just for fun, with an Allison One speaker in the background (Roy Allison died last week FYI).
IGy3fCF.jpg
 
Last edited:
Hi,
glad you got a proper tape!!!! One point! From your text you seem to have done the equalisation check before you checked the azimuth. If this is the case the high frequency end may be out. The Azimuth MUST be the first adjustment to get spot on. As you have not replaced or removed the heads, the height and zenith adjustments should be OK. For adjusting azimuth I found that the easiest way to adjust it is to set the scope to XY mode and use the lissajous figure to adjust. A visual picture is much easier to adjust that judging the overlap of 2 sine waves. Due to the mechanical tolerances when up at this frequency, the adjustment is not that stable anyway. But then again I have not used my new tape yet and only used older ones up to now.

The higher frequencies run the risk of saturating the oxide so they are always at a lower level. The rest of the frequencies are at this level for convenience I take it. If you set up a Revox they adjust the HF Eq at -20 dB (recording).

I have just had a quick look at the spec for the tape to check but did not find what I was looking for. The test tape should be recorded Full Width. You do not have 2 track or 4 track test tapes as the positions of the tracks/widths/guard bands are too varied. May be some of the guys who are in the industry may clarify this one.

As a rule of thumb:-
1. Demagnetise the complete tape path.
2. Set up the head height, tilt (Zenith) and azimuth rough (visually). You should be OK on this one.
3. Set up the Azimuth properly using the test tape (16kHz). This sets up the Play Head Gap to be perpendicular to the tape travel and the whole HF response of the recorder is dependent on this!!!!! For me a Lissajous from the L and R is easiest. Check a sweep from 1kHz up to 10 kHz. There should be no phase errors. If there are you have picked one of the 16kHz peaks either side of the proper one.
4. Set up the reference level at 1kHz. If this is not correct the HF setpoint will be skewed.
5. Set up the HF levels at 10kHz. (see manual)
6. Check the whole frequency spread across the test tape to verify the overall frequency response. If there are any dips or peaks they my be brought into spec by splitting the difference. Do NOT try and achieve perfection..... You may be there for some time and never get there. If it is in spec then it has achieved what the designer intended!!!
7. Set up the Recording Bias. Using a blank tape of which you intend to calibrate the machine.
8. Using a signal generator and a blank tape of which you intend to calibrate the machine. Record 1 kHz and peak the response from the played back output with the record head azimuth. Then lift the frequency up to 16 kHz and set up the same response as you did with the Playback Head (for me a lissajous). Check the lissajou over a frequency sweep from 1 up to 16 kHz. This mechanically matches the Play and Recording heads Also by using a test tape cross machine compatibility has been ensured.
9. Set up the 1kHz level.
10. Set up the 10 kHz level.
11. Check the whole response.

Remember that there will be a delay as the recorded signal gets to the play head.

If I have forgot anything I am sure there will be an addition from other AKers. It is a good initiation point though and all this should be done as per the manual and in the order given. End step will be reliant on previous step being correct. If one section or step fails find out why and correct it. The following step may be a waste of time and energy until you do. When you have done this yourself you may then understand why the techs cost so much. Sorry guys if I have given too many of your secrets away!!!

GPS16
 
Last edited:
Hi,
just as a comment. You have a 707.... Don't rewind the tape press reverse for 10 secs and then repeat. A test tape should not be fast wound if at all possible. I intend to put a very long leader on mine so that the recorder is pretty much up to wind speed before the test tape is touched.

Also look out for 7 in reels which have a 10.5 reel hub. They do appear and for short lengths of tape like these will reduce winding tension enormously. I have a couple of older BBC test tapes on this type of reel when the leader has been fitted the new MRL Tape will be transferred to one of these.

These tapes need to be kissed and cosseted, made comfortable and left to relax in a convivial atmosphere!!! After all they cost enough!!!!

GPS16
 
Hi,
The Azimuth MUST be the first adjustment to get spot on. As you have not replaced or removed the heads, the height and zenith adjustments should be OK.
GPS16

GPS thanks for the list - makes the process a lot clearer than my pages of waffle and I will use your list when i have another attempt soon. About the azimuth, yes I did recalibrate (or attempt to) electronics after playing with that. Although I haven't played with the heads before, one point is that the machine might have taken a big knock to the face during packing as it has a decent gouge on the front panel, that occurred during packing according to the seller. In any case, i'm going to attempt to realign the heads (within the limits of the groove wear - don't want the tape rubbing on those edges) before my calibration reattempt.

Hi,
You have a 707.... Don't rewind the tape press reverse for 10 secs and then repeat. A test tape should not be fast wound if at all possible. I intend to put a very long leader on mine so that the recorder is pretty much up to wind speed before the test tape is touched. Also look out for 7 in reels which have a 10.5 reel hub. They do appear and for short lengths of tape like these will reduce winding tension enormously. I have a couple of older BBC test tapes on this type of reel when the leader has been fitted the new MRL Tape will be transferred to one of these.
GPS16
Got me some leader tape that is going onto the calibration tape this weekend :). About the "press reverse for 10 secs and then repeat" did you mean to reverse direction at play speed instead of using fast rewind?

Something I was also thinking about, is there a clever way to slow wind tapes at play speed, without the tape touching the heads? I've got some sticky/squeaky old tapes that will be baked before recording to PC and I want to wind them nice and evenly before baking but I don't want to play this sticky tape across my heads...

I've been a bit busy lately so I haven't had a chance to do much else over the last week or two. However, I did get my hands on an original metal take-up reel AND and reverse direction button. The reverse direction button is exactly the same as the forward direction button (I wasn't sure before I bought it, although now i think about it, it could probably be quickly confirmed by service manual part number). The button has a notch on one side, making it antisymmetric (which you can see clearly in the pic with the button held up to a lamp), but it's just the same button flipped 180degrees. maybe obvious, but I thought it's worth noting.
Z0UccDi.jpg

eeei36X.jpg

ZWbpZKC.jpg

XOdFxiN.jpg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom