• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pre + Power amps on $500 budget. Which?

I’m currently streaming through Amazon HD and can’t get a table for a bit due to room size constraints. I also play some well recorded CD’s through my Musical Fidelity DAC.
 
I'll add Superphon (Stan Warren) gear, APT Holman, Onkyo Integra, Belles, 80's SS Luxman (phono stages are nice). Oh, and I can't forget the H/K Citation 11/12.
 
Last edited:
Looking to add a Pre and power to the collection. I’m looking at an Adcom GFA545 for $150. That would give me $350 for a preamp.

What would you be focused on?

I would recommend a used Crown power amp (XTI or XLS) and a DAC/pre like the Maverick Audio D1+. You could get both for under $500 and be set for some time.....

I’m pretty far into this hobby and that’s my setup. Couldn’t be happier.
 
Second VERY cheap option that kicks ass is a SMSL SA98E and a noobsound tube preamp with a good vintage tube. 160wpc in 4 ohms and it’s only about the size of two paperback books!
 
For the $, I’m thinking the C2 is a safe bet.

Leaning hard towards the Hafler DH-101 as a starting point to pair with an Adcom GFA-545II.

I have both and they are great preamps. Both will require a few updates to sound fantastic. I also have a 535 power amp.

The C2 has a fragile balance pot. You can read all about it over on the kenwood manufacturer forum. Plus many posted updates to make this a great preamp.

For the hafler 101, some don't like the RCA jacks and switches. I haven't had a problem.

I like both and you can improve them with a few choice updates. Lucky for you, each preamp has a huge following on AK and have great restore/update threads.
 
Last edited:
The Hafler amps and possibly some others mentioned here are MOSFET which I have found I really love the detail and balance of. I have a Sumo Polaris MOSFET that was under $200 shipped. For a pre, I'm using a Rotel RC1070, which seems very clean and was also under $200 shipped. The combo drives my efficient Klipsch kg4.2s very well with 100 wpc. This gear is really a step up from the mass-market stuff (not to trash anything else mentioned in this thread). Especially on the amp side, I found it was a quantum leap over the vintage silver faced receivers I had been listening to. Just make sure you don't go sideways, there is a lot of sky overhead.
 
Get a Xiang Sheng 728A tube preamp and never look back. I paired mine with Adcom GFA5500 and it was fantastic. Tube front end with the Adcoms is really good. I see the Xiang Shengs on Ebay for within your budget and some sell here on occasion as well in the $200's.

Great suggestion for digital but there's no phono stage in the Xiang Sheng ..
And it has far more gain than most amps need ...
It's a good sounding piece, but mine is sitting in the corner because I haven't come across an amp that requires that much gain.
 
Last edited:
The Hafler amps and possibly some others mentioned here are MOSFET which I have found I really love the detail and balance of. I have a Sumo Polaris MOSFET that was under $200 shipped. For a pre, I'm using a Rotel RC1070, which seems very clean and was also under $200 shipped. The combo drives my efficient Klipsch kg4.2s very well with 100 wpc. This gear is really a step up from the mass-market stuff (not to trash anything else mentioned in this thread). Especially on the amp side, I found it was a quantum leap over the vintage silver faced receivers I had been listening to. Just make sure you don't go sideways, there is a lot of sky overhead.

Good stuff. I currently have a Luxman R-1070 and wonder how much better the performance/sound would be from decent separates.
 
I'll add Superphon (Stan Warren) gear, APT Holman, Onkyo Integra, Belles, 80's SS Luxman (phono stages are nice). Oh, and I can't forget the H/K Citation 11/12.

Superphon was a bargain and a legend when it was new specifically because of it's phono stage ..
The fact that it sells today for as much, or more than it did when new, says a lot about it's qualities ..
It can be beaten but only with carefully chosen, and typically, far more expensive gear .. and it's worthy of fine cartridges, turntables and amps..
 
Good stuff. I currently have a Luxman R-1070 and wonder how much better the performance/sound would be from decent separates.

A lot better ..
More flexibility, too. When my garage-system receiver gave up the ghost, I replaced it with separates. If one my “A” home system components fails, needs service, etc. I just pull its counterpart from the garage to fill in temporarily. Thing is, it sounds so darn good out there now, my spouse threatens to have a missing-person report filed on me!
 
I’m currently streaming through Amazon HD and can’t get a table for a bit due to room size constraints. I also play some well recorded CD’s through my Musical Fidelity DAC.

For digital sources, I'd recommend starting with a really good used high end power amp and an inexpensive passive preamp ..
You can achieve amazingly good sound quality with a used high end amp and a $100 passive pre ..
You can always add a separate phono stage if you add vinyl to the mix ..
If you search a bit you can find $400 amps that are a cut above the Haflers and Adcoms .. I recently picked up an Aragon 4004/ii for $400 ..
 
I hope I don't upset Adcom fans, but I have to be honest, I did not like my Adcom GTP-400 / GFA-545 at all. Bought them brand new in the late 80's / early 90's -- and it was a ton of money for me at the time -- and I never like the way it sounded (using with Large Advents back then). I had an SX-3700 receiver before the Adcom, which was probably 1/5th the price of the Adcom separates, and the Pioneer sounded a lot better. While I wouldn't recommend you swear off anything based upon one person's opinion, my personal recommendation is "not Adcom".

It's impossible to provide a suggestion without more info (e.g. what inputs do you need (since old vintage components are pretty limited on inputs), what "look" you prefer, what era you prefer, what power you need, do you need phono input, what music you will use it with, etc.)

Move up the Adcom preamp chain for better results. The ones you mentioned are fairly basic sound wise. Do a quick “ Best Adcom preamp “ search.
 
Certainly nothing wrong with the APT. I liked the one I had.

I've heard great things about them. This one is in pristine condition and was just recently recapped, serviced etc. What is the "going rate" for a nice one like this?
 
Something worth knowing about Holman pre-amps.

The input selector switch is or can be persnickety. Despite using contact cleaner, a channel could likely disappear from time to time. I have two of those units and each one. exhibits that anomaly. In the case of mine, it’s been on both phono 1 and phono 2 inputs.

The first pre I got began producing spurious noise a couple of weeks after my doing a fair bit of parts replacement including all 41 electrolytics. Not being able to find fault with any transistors, my most suspected culprit, I sent it to Audio Proz. The cause was actually two of the four op-amps.

The preamp came back with a note saying they cleaned all the switch contacts but that I should exercise them frequently. That proved to be excellent advice.

Now, even if only 24 hours have passed since last listened through, I rotate the input selector end to end about 15 times before playback of anything.

I’m very fond of APT Holmans. They sound wonderful and are geared towards turntable enthusiasts. I consider the extra step of input selector exercise just a cost of owning/using a great audio component.
 
Back
Top Bottom