• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Pre + Power amps on $500 budget. Which?

Something worth knowing about Holman pre-amps.

The input selector switch is or can be persnickety. Despite using contact cleaner, a channel could likely disappear from time to time. I have two of those units and each one. exhibits that anomaly. In the case of mine, it’s been on both phono 1 and phono 2 inputs.

The first pre I got began producing spurious noise a couple of weeks after my doing a fair bit of parts replacement including all 41 electrolytics. Not being able to find fault with any transistors, my most suspected culprit, I sent it to Audio Proz. The cause was actually two of the four op-amps.

The preamp came back with a note saying they cleaned all the switch contacts but that I should exercise them frequently. That proved to be excellent advice.

Now, even if only 24 hours have passed since last listened through, I rotate the input selector end to end about 15 times before playback of anything.

I’m very fond of APT Holmans. They sound wonderful and are geared towards turntable enthusiasts. I consider the extra step of input selector exercise just a cost of owning/using a great audio component.

Sold one long ago for the same reason ..
 
Get an FX Audio Tube-01 and put the rest of your money into upgraded tubes, a better power supply, and since you're still money ahead, you can put gobs of money into the power amp.
 
I purchased an Adcom GFA545II power amp and Apt Holman preamp and couldn’t be happier.

Very nice.

In addition to exercising the input selector, Holman pre's have a relay which is known to be failure prone. By this point in time I would assume that it has already been replaced in yours. .

Did you get the original manual? If not, they are something worth having - a combination owner's and service manual. It is very concise and I've read comments about it's being the best owner's manual ever written.

If you find at some time the need for "professional help", AudioProz in Watertown, MA is the place to call. If you ever do call there, you might get the Vince experience. He was with the APT corporation when Holman pres were in production.

I sent my first Holman pre there when I could not determine the cause of the noise it was making. I'm near Vancouver, BC so a long ways away but turnaround was no more than three weeks.
 
Back
Top Bottom