• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Preamp into Integrated Amp Yes or No?

minkybut

AK Member
I want to run my Harmon Kardon Citation 11 preamp/eq into my Sansui AU-G99X integrated amplifier. The Sansui does not have a processor "in" loop.
Can I run the HK into a tape "in" without causing any issues?
 
Register to hide this ad
Electrically there are no issues but it does beg the qestion 'Why?

I've done a similar thing when unsatisfied with the integrateds' phono stage.This was quite successful. Used tape out and not amp out, bypassing the pre section.
Another attempt was to address a speaker/int amp mismatch. While an improvement could be heard I was still unsatisfied; something not quite right.

Thankfully I only needed to dip into the amp closet to choose something more synergistic.
 
I just like being able to use the loudness, bass and treble control on the integrated in conjunction with the 5 band equalizer on the preamp.
 
No reason why you can't do it, but several reasons why you shouldn't.

Ever heard the expression "too many cooks spoil the broth"? A preamp serves little purpose being fed into an integrated. You may gain more knobs to fiddle with, but you also risk "muddying" the sound.

That said, it's your stuff, go ahead and try it. If you like the results, fine.

I sure wouldn't.
 
But there really is not any difference in doing what I'm talking about than if I hooked a plain equalizer to the integrated right? I mean thats the same thing right?
 
Preamp with Integrated

Looks to me like it would be the same difference, but then I'm new to this and am just trying to figure out what works and what does not.
 
You can. It's redundant.

Does the AU-G99x have pre out/main ins? I can't remember, I sold it a while ago.
 
Well, if you don't mind amplifying the noise generated by the H/K preamp stage in the Sansui's preamp stage then go right ahead.

Remember, you'll not only have the noise of two preamp stages, but the first one will have had it's inherent noise amplified in the second preamp.
 
Thats right, there is no pre in or out on the Sansui. You have to use a tape loop like you would if one hooked up a regular eq. Now, sorry, here is a dumb question again. Would not hooking up a regular eq this way make as much noise as usung the HK ? Or does a regular eq not have the preamp circuitry like the HK therefore would not have a hum?
Reason I'm asking is I have tried the HK into the Sansui now. It sounds fine except when there is no music playing there is a very slight hum. When there is no music playing The more volume you turn the Sansui up the more the hum stands out. Its not noticeable though with the Sansui volume set to just before half volume and then using the HK for main volume. But Markw is correct, it does amplify the HK's preamp stage because I can hit the eq defeat button on the HK and the hum goes away.
 
op: i claim no expertise and i'm sure you have probably decided what suits you by now, but i have to say (in response to all the "don't do it" replies you received) that the coloration of sound can sometimes be the lesser of two evils. i do this for sending my computer audio files into the auxiliary input on a marantz integrated amplifier that is far superior to the preamp feeding it. like your sansui, my marantz doesn't have a preamp input and i wouldn't use it if it did since all my other components run direct into the marantz.

after testing the sound of the computer output > preamp > integrated amp aux input vs. computer output > y cable > integrated amp auxiliary input, the sound quality of the former option destroyed that of the latter.

just one man's opinion, but to all those who might come across this thread planning to do seemingly stupid things that your equipment wasn't intended for, i suggest giving it a try and, if nothing explodes and it sounds better, hook it up that way.
 
I hooked up my Cary Audio tube preamp to my Marantz 4140 Quad integrated. Worked just fine for me. My Sansui AU-D11 didn't have pre in or outs, so I never went down that road with the tape in.

Hey if it works, and your happy, enjoy!
 
No reason why you can't do it, but several reasons why you shouldn't.

Ever heard the expression "too many cooks spoil the broth"? A preamp serves little purpose being fed into an integrated. You may gain more knobs to fiddle with, but you also risk "muddying" the sound.

That said, it's your stuff, go ahead and try it. If you like the results, fine.

I sure wouldn't.
What! bypassing the internal preamp on an integrated with a high end separate preamp can do wonders. The Preamp section in most older integrated is the weakest link.
 
What! bypassing the internal preamp on an integrated with a high end separate preamp can do wonders. The Preamp section in most older integrated is the weakest link.

Not what the OP was asking.....eight years ago. No mention of phono stage, just using the Citation preamp in general, to get more bells and whistles.

Still not a good idea.:no:
 
What! bypassing the internal preamp on an integrated with a high end separate preamp can do wonders. The Preamp section in most older integrated is the weakest link.
He's not bypassing the internal preamp. He's running the output of one preamp into the input of another. That/s running them in series.
 
Using loudness, bass, treble and a 5 band EQ seems a bit crazy. Does it sound that bad that you need to do all of that?
 
Back
Top Bottom