• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Prices.... Going Up!!!

In anticipation of price increase next year, I have been ordering things I "may" need.
She's complaining about more needless junk coming in.
And if she needs something she'll expect you to have it or an explanation why not, she must think you have two of everything, one that you might need and one for the one you can't find. Come to think of it I have two of a few things that I couldn't find. Oh well. And, of course, she might be right, about all of it.
 
My HOA fees went up 20% this year (the maximum allowed by law) and about 15% last year after being quite stable for the first four years we were here.
 
My condo fees are going up for the coming year. We've had some structural issues in the building (110 YO) that required a special assessment to cover the costs. I have been expecting the monthly fee to go up because they weren't charging enough. A lot of the younger people in the building are complaining, but when you buy the place, you have to anticipate repairs and maintenance costs. It doesn't matter if it's a condo or a house. Things break and have to be fixed. If you have a house you have to find and deal with the contractors yourself which adds to the headache. In a condo, the management company finds the contractors and deals with them. I'm fine with it. I moved into a condo because I don't want to deal with that stuff, and I don't want to do yard work or shovel snow.

If you rent and there's a problem, guess what: your rent will go up next year to recoup the cost of fixing the problem.

Someone's gotta pay. In the end, it always whoever lives there...
 
My condo fees are going up for the coming year. We've had some structural issues in the building (110 YO) that required a special assessment to cover the costs. I have been expecting the monthly fee to go up because they weren't charging enough. A lot of the younger people in the building are complaining, but when you buy the place, you have to anticipate repairs and maintenance costs. It doesn't matter if it's a condo or a house. Things break and have to be fixed. If you have a house you have to find and deal with the contractors yourself which adds to the headache. In a condo, the management company finds the contractors and deals with them. I'm fine with it. I moved into a condo because I don't want to deal with that stuff, and I don't want to do yard work or shovel snow.

If you rent and there's a problem, guess what: your rent will go up next year to recoup the cost of fixing the problem.

Someone's gotta pay. In the end, it always whoever lives there...
It’s never a free ride , but I’ve seen several people buy into a condo get hit with higher his fees and assessments and of course taxes and loose their shirt trying to get out because the fees went up so much it doesn’t make sense ! I guess it all depends on the hoa and the management co , there is a trend of seniors moving back to starter homes doing complete upgrades and renovations and contracting landscapers to take care of the yards and snow removal
 
It’s never a free ride , but I’ve seen several people buy into a condo get hit with higher his fees and assessments and of course taxes and loose their shirt trying to get out because the fees went up so much it doesn’t make sense ! I guess it all depends on the hoa and the management co , there is a trend of seniors moving back to starter homes doing complete upgrades and renovations and contracting landscapers to take care of the yards and snow removal
I downsized for many of the reasons people move to condos, etc. I bought a non descript house in an older established neighborhood in Nampa, Idaho and updated it as needed/desired. The lawn is new, small, poured cement as a buffer and walkway around the house, patio with garden environment, all scaled for my activity and low maintenance. One can create their own situation. And, I can play music or movie tracks as loud as I want... usually, music, never loud but I could if desired. Just thoughts on the subject.
 
Wait until USA imposes tariffs and tries to rebuild and then charge for the "labor" pursuant to USA-based industry. Oy. You wanna see inflation? Hold onto your seats, folks.
 
PS: While I study markets, I would rather be in a position to steady markets. But, I am not an elected official nor executive appointee, so....
 
Couldn't put up with an HOA if they were giving the place away...and paying the taxes. I'd end up incarcerated.
Agreed! That's why Emma and I left the rented townhouse and bought a home in 2000 once we were a couple. And the first priority when I started retirement
was to finish the remains of the mortgage and get that off our backs. Still got taxes and utils, of course, but it's OURS, and no one has a say in it.
Its an older neighborhood near a university. There's a few rentals, but it's mostly decent neighbors that have been here a while.
 
I bought my condo in 2020 at the tender age of 62. The bank gave me a 30 year mortgage at 2.8%. Only in America! I expect to pay that mortgage off on my deathbed. I see a lot of advice aimed at retirees that says "pay off your mortgage!" Nope, not when it's 2.8%!
 
I bought my condo in 2020 at the tender age of 62. The bank gave me a 30 year mortgage at 2.8%. Only in America! I expect to pay that mortgage off on my deathbed. I see a lot of advice aimed at retirees that says "pay off your mortgage!" Nope, not when it's 2.8%!
Same here. Especially when I'm getting 3.92% on my money.
 
I parked some cash in CDs at 5.3% a couple years ago, and my S&P index fund is up about 55% since I took that mortgage.
Mine started at 5.1% plus a $2500 bonus for leaving it there 90 days. It's dropped to 3.92% now, but I can move cash in and out at any time wilt no penalties.
 
Back
Top Bottom