• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Record Bin From single 4 x 8 Sheet of Plywood - Plans

I'm back with my latest build!
This one is solid oak stained with medium walnut danish oil and coated with satin polyurethane. Quite pleased with the end result: grainy and shiny!
I'd estimate the capacity at 500 records.

more pics: https://imgur.com/gallery/MtAWfWU

View attachment 2252972

Here's the blueprint:
View attachment 2252964
Really , really nice. Very well made by the looks of it. A question for anyone who has modified their designs and built new units: My daughter has my original build, as she now has a turntable and collects too. What did you do with your previous unit? They're such heavy cumbersome things!
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Dio
Really , really nice. Very well made by the looks of it. A question for anyone who has modified their designs and built new units: My daughter has my original build, as she now has a turntable and collects too. What did you do with your previous unit? They're such heavy cumbersome things!

Thanks Koala :)

I have built a total of four units so far. The first one followed your design and I built it out of MDF. Currently it's housing my parents' record collection and the top shelf has my CDs on it. I still really like that unit! The second I built with three tiers to trade for some speakers to a music buddy, and that one was veneer plywood (which I don't think I'll ever use again). Third unit is my personal collection, built out of a mix of MDF and pine (2 shelves, 3 LPs wide). Fourth unit pictured above was a commission for another buddy, made of oak.

Fifth unit... who knows?

I'm sure you can find someone to buy older units if that's your issue!
 
Started planning to build the original design (and I will eventually). But I opted for something a little different. Found some more plans online. Went to HD and purchase everything I needed for $120. (Legs ordered from amazon. My local HD made all my cuts, except for cuts less than 6 inches or precision cuts. I ended up cutting the dividers and the angle. If you notice from the original design, I changed the legs and the angle of cuts. I love the results; it will hold 300 + albums. The plans are for a 6 bin or 8 bin, I build the 8 bin.


How To Build A DIY Vinyl Record Storage Cabinet Display (jenwoodhouse.com)

View media item 25625View media item 25626View media item 25627View media item 25628
 
Thanks Koala :)

I have built a total of four units so far. The first one followed your design and I built it out of MDF. Currently it's housing my parents' record collection and the top shelf has my CDs on it. I still really like that unit! The second I built with three tiers to trade for some speakers to a music buddy, and that one was veneer plywood (which I don't think I'll ever use again). Third unit is my personal collection, built out of a mix of MDF and pine (2 shelves, 3 LPs wide). Fourth unit pictured above was a commission for another buddy, made of oak.

Fifth unit... who knows?

I'm sure you can find someone to buy older units if that's your issue!
No, it's not an issue. I'm happy with my build number 2. Just interested to know what guys like yourself where doing after building several? ( Such as having garages or spare rooms full of them! o_O ) My current 3 tier with top shelf will see me through for a fare while yet. it has a capacity of about 900 I would guess? I'm at about 800 right now, but that includes my 7inches. So i'm about 200 off I would guess?
 
Started planning to build the original design (and I will eventually). But I opted for something a little different. Found some more plans online. Went to HD and purchase everything I needed for $120. (Legs ordered from amazon. My local HD made all my cuts, except for cuts less than 6 inches or precision cuts. I ended up cutting the dividers and the angle. If you notice from the original design, I changed the legs and the angle of cuts. I love the results; it will hold 300 + albums. The plans are for a 6 bin or 8 bin, I build the 8 bin.


How To Build A DIY Vinyl Record Storage Cabinet Display (jenwoodhouse.com)

View media item 25625View media item 25626View media item 25627View media item 25628
Like it. Particularly the two tiers. Not big enough for my needs though.
 
Question for everyone. I've seen the price of plywood skyrocket here where I'm at. Currently it's like $99.00 for a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood. I like these designs here I wish I had the space so I don't have to bend down to get a record from the standard Ikea unit. Plus I like the forward facing. But I think the 2x4 Ikea units may be cheaper now? Anyone have a current price list for the total builds with any hardware involved?

Thanks,
 
Question for everyone. I've seen the price of plywood skyrocket here where I'm at. Currently it's like $99.00 for a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood. I like these designs here I wish I had the space so I don't have to bend down to get a record from the standard Ikea unit. Plus I like the forward facing. But I think the 2x4 Ikea units may be cheaper now? Anyone have a current price list for the total builds with any hardware involved?

Thanks,

Keep an eye on prices as lumber has come down quite a bit already - supply chain issues and demand are still propping prices up.

I've decided to forgo the freestanding rack and will be making on as wide and deep as 3 Ikea Kallax 2x2 units that simply rests on top of them. Should give me enough capacity for close to 1000 records when you include the roughly 50/cubby in the Kallax and get me that easier-access/look of the forward facing flip bins.

Now just have to hope for a kind HD/Lowes employee that will make the main cuts for me!
 
Keep an eye on prices as lumber has come down quite a bit already - supply chain issues and demand are still propping prices up.

I've decided to forgo the freestanding rack and will be making on as wide and deep as 3 Ikea Kallax 2x2 units that simply rests on top of them. Should give me enough capacity for close to 1000 records when you include the roughly 50/cubby in the Kallax and get me that easier-access/look of the forward facing flip bins.

Now just have to hope for a kind HD/Lowes employee that will make the main cuts for me!
I was massively lucky. My Plywood was free from a B&Q DIY store here in the UK. The edges had been damaged so it was offered as 'scrap'. They still cut it down for me in store for Free too. The castors came off a trolley I found in a junkyard/tip. The lamp was made by my daughter in 'Tech' at school. The Wood glue and 2 inch screws I already had. The only cost was the LED lights, anti-slip mats and paint. Probably cost me about 25 quid. what's that? $35?
OqbWqZX.jpg
 
Last edited:
I made this from one sheet of birch plywood. The cuts were rearranged to make each shelf a little deeper. I used an oil based polyurethane to make the grain pop a little. I used a kreg jig and biscuit jointer to avoid seeing any screws. The biscuits are used to attach the fronts and the dividers.
 

Attachments

  • 1117202011.jpg
    1117202011.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 151
Was there a plan somewhere on here for a 45rpm shelf build or display unit? I swear I saw one, but that may have been a dream.
 
Hello everyone.. i built two bins last week.

my tip.. stain everything after all the cuts are made- before assembly. I thought it was a giant PITA to stain after assembly.
 
Hello everyone.. i built two bins last week.

my tip.. stain everything after all the cuts are made- before assembly. I thought it was a giant PITA to stain after assembly.

I'm pretty sure that cabinet makers don't do that because it can affect the bonding integrity with professional wood adhesives. I could be wrong.
 
index.php

index.php

I made it slightly shallower than the plans at 18" deep. This makes the cabinet conform more to standard depths of most furniture so it doesn't stick out. I used tongue and groove joints on the shelves and the back, and pocket holes on the fronts and dividers. It's extremely strong and I'm happy with the results, I just wish plywood wasn't so expensive these days.
 
Last edited:
index.php

index.php

I made it slightly shallower than the plans at 18" deep. This makes the cabinet conform more to standard depths of most furniture so it doesn't stick out. I used tongue and groove joints on the shelves and the back, and pocket holes on the fronts and dividers. It's extremely strong and I'm happy with the results, I just wish plywood wasn't so expensive these days.
I made one a while back and like it. Was thinking of building a second but materials are about $100 plus the labor. Decided to buy a 2x3 cube used for $20. What's great is I now have a better place to set my turntables.
 
My son is building me a second one right now, birch plywood, good joinery, spring oak finish with polyurethane to seal it, and the casters.
 
Last edited:
So frustrated. Unit build and primed, but there's nowhere open to buy the paint I need to finish it. Online DIY stores are only selling 'essential' items for plumbing and electrical repairs etc, not decorating materials. Just want to get it done, and it would give me something to do... Has anyone else built a unit during the virus lockdown?

dD69UAi.jpg

Are there plans/blueprints for the 3 tier design in this thread somewhere?
 
Back
Top Bottom